Macbook vs Macbook Air

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To each their own. Using MacBook for more than a year now, and I am not used to the keyboard on my wife's MBA now.

And when I need to charge my MB, I can use a power bank to charge it.

lDuckRicel

Master Member
Reaction score
To each their own. Using MacBook for more than a year now, and I am not used to the keyboard on my wife's MBA now.

Ya, that's the thing for MB and MBP, the usb-c can charge up using power-bank, while the MBA cannot.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
I am going to do photo and video editing.

Just attended course and finished today.

Advisable to use MBP for photo or video editing because u need the graphics card.

My course lecturer lecturer told me.

Video editing I should go for at least

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640

I am looking at this

https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/produ...core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-display-Silver

The Intel Iris Plus is an integrated graphic chip, not a dedicated graphic card.

Previously, I used a MBP 15" with the Intel graphic chip and work on Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects. It didn't worked out for me and I had to do an exchange for a MBP 15' with dedicated graphic card.

Not sure how is the result with Final Cut/iMovie with MBP Intel Iris though. Others may want to share your thoughts.

SpeedWeed

Master Member
Reaction score
What was the gpx card on your MBP?

Any input would be appreciated?

Is the Radeon Pro 560 good enough?

The Intel Iris Plus is an integrated graphic chip, not a dedicated graphic card.

Previously, I used a MBP 15" with the Intel graphic chip and work on Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects. It didn't worked out for me and I had to do an exchange for a MBP 15' with dedicated graphic card.

Not sure how is the result with Final Cut/iMovie with MBP Intel Iris though. Others may want to share your thoughts.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most people will still need to get adapers to convert from usb c to usb.

MBA has a thunderbolt 2 port, which you can get an adapter to expand to more usb ports/ethernet on top of 2 usb ports + SD slot. Keyboard is also better.

Most importantly, MBA still uses MagSafe adapter. This feature saved my MBA a few times when my toddler nephew liked to suddenly ran to the wire and started pulling for no reason.

No issues getting usb-c adapter when generic ones are available from Lazada at around 10-15 bucks.. unless u wanna buy those geeky ones that cost a hundred bucks or so

MBA is reaching planned obsolescence with no new technologies or Retina screen being added in. Hardly advisable to get in 2018.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No issues getting usb-c adapter when generic ones are available from Lazada at around 10-15 bucks.. unless u wanna buy those geeky ones that cost a hundred bucks or so

MBA is reaching planned obsolescence with no new technologies or Retina screen being added in. Hardly advisable to get in 2018.

It is still very popular with university students due to low price, abundance of ports, long battery life, good keyboard and MagSafe. It is the only mac laptop i will ever buy if i need one right now. But my iMac currently suffices for all my needs.

I had to turn to lenovo thinkpad after apple comes out with their new MacBooks and MBP. :s22::s22:

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
What was the gpx card on your MBP?

Any input would be appreciated?

Is the Radeon Pro 560 good enough?

Currently, my gpx is a Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB VRAM.

Works for me and have a better experience with it compared to my previous Intel Iris model.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Got mine from taobao... cheap cheap, buy 2, 1 free, 50c each only.

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MacBook is better, especially the display and track pad. TN panel is a big no-no.

yrh0413

Reaction score
I have both... bought the MBA in 2013, and MB12 in 2017. Like you I use mine mainly for Photoshop and Lightroom, My take is: just get the MB12.

MB12: sleeker, equally powerful as the MBA. Much better screen. Keyboard takes a while to get used to but that is no big deal. single USB-C port is not an issue as you can always buy adapters and keep one in your bag.

MBA: other than the full size USB ports... and I do miss the charging indicator on the charging port.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
I have both... bought the MBA in 2013, and MB12 in 2017. Like you I use mine mainly for Photoshop and Lightroom, My take is: just get the MB12.

MB12: sleeker, equally powerful as the MBA. Much better screen. Keyboard takes a while to get used to but that is no big deal. single USB-C port is not an issue as you can always buy adapters and keep one in your bag.

MBA: other than the full size USB ports... and I do miss the charging indicator on the charging port.

Both should be eliminated. Get the non touchbar MacBook Pro is better.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score

Yes, u are rite, despite the complaints (mostly from ppl who did by experience long enough or own one), the new butterfly keyboard is certainly better than the old one. I cannot switch back to old one.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Most people will still need to get adapers to convert from usb c to usb.

MBA has a thunderbolt 2 port, which you can get an adapter to expand to more usb ports/ethernet on top of 2 usb ports + SD slot. Keyboard is also better.

Most importantly, MBA still uses MagSafe adapter. This feature saved my MBA a few times when my toddler nephew liked to suddenly ran to the wire and started pulling for no reason.

Old ports can convert to some other old ports via adapter but mostly it is from one port to one port or one port to limited no of ports. USB-C especially gen 2 one, one port with a comprehensive adapter can allow a machine to acquire many many legacy ports.

And it can supply power at the same time or one can even daisy chain the devices using USB-c.

It is a lot more future proof and it has a lot more flexibility.

parkson

Reaction score
Don't understand how people can stand the 720p resolution and TN panel of the MBA in 2018. Go to any electronics store and you can easily find a 1080p IPS laptop which is much better quality. I'd rather pay more for a Macbook or MBP for the much better screen since that's the thing you'll be staring at all day.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.