 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

Dingding6

Reaction score
Gear sport: nfc chip at top left if the screen is facing you, which is at 11 o clock.

Gear s3: nfc chip at top left 11 o clock and mst at bottom right, 5 o clock.

Apple watch: the whole screen is the antenna surface cos it's a ring of antennas housing cellular/Bluetooth/wifi/nfc. The area of antenna is the dark border around the lcd screen.

So if you ask me, gear devices can scan at 12 o clock or face down. Whereas Apple watch can only scan face down.

Apple watch much more obvious how to tap.....because antenna ring...

Samsung Gear not very clear still......and it's a small chip....my first initial usage is face down( for normal payment)......end up very very very slow....probably due to bad position.

12 o clock position much better almost instantaneous, but also error quite often......

11 o clock .....vertical.....hmmmm....thats the position, i switch reader when the first 1, 12 o clock horizontal position not responding......and got most success with mobile ABT trial.....

if indeed is 11 o clock position, then people who wear Gear on left hand would have a lot problem

hmmm....will trial with the 11 o clock position....thanks for the tips ;)

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to get it to work on the bus readers, so far easier to use on mrt readers :s12:.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Yes I’m still using gear sport to tap, but I don’t need to do the circular motion often, unlike Apple Watch users.. :D

i think apple watch also no need to do the circular motion.
the important part is the gap between watch and reader, should be around 0.5-1.5cm. cannot touch the reader... so very difficult to control.
same for iphone, the top part also cannot touch the reader, must have some gap. but iphone's nfc signal stronger, so easier to use.
can only say the current transit readers are designed for cards which is very short range and weak signal, so not suitable for watch. very difficult.
the experience is totally different from using paywave/paypass terminals where phones/watches can be tapped so easily and fast.

btw, i think today some bank card readers are not working :s11:
i got 2 times Card Failed. (both occurences just change reader then no prob). here also got ppl reported today got Card Failed. i also saw some other ppl tap card/wallet a lot of red lights. seems like something wrong with the readers today.

ok lah... i think that's the end of my trial. lol.
still have a lot to improve, esp on user interface and device detection, should make the users feel confident when tapping with higher successful rate and progress updates while waiting. can follow the UX of paywave/paypass terminals.

cloudwane

Reaction score
Yesterday evening, went back to Cityhall after work and manage to activate both my phone and watch now.

Tried using phone today at Raffles and it’s working already. Shall try my Apple Watch to check if it’s enabled. Pretty fast turnaround of 1 day only instead of 7 days

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to get it to work on the bus readers, so far easier to use on mrt readers :s12:.

ikr, the reader on bus when i tap show nothing (not even say fail or what, is like there is nobody tapping on the reader), as i standby the card on hand then asap tap my physical card as there are people behind.

Use iphone to tap on train gantry without any issue though with "bank card usage" then gantry open.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ikr, the reader on bus when i tap show nothing (not even say fail or what, is like there is nobody tapping on the reader), as i standby the card on hand then asap tap my physical card as there are people behind.

Use iphone to tap on train gantry without any issue though with "bank card usage" then gantry open.

tap again lor. it works the second time even if the first time got no response..

Dingding6

Reaction score

i think it has to do with the reader sensitivity.......cannot read your phone nfc......you need to find the sweet spot...which kinda stupid if you ask me....

i think i found mine after continuous of 3 days streak intermittent of no respond on the reader....at least today is somewhat of like a normal mastercard ABT speed for me....

Last edited:

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tap again lor. it works the second time even if the first time got no response..
Yup, tried twice and got no joy. Perhaps it's user problem, but I've decided to make a online claim right there and then. :s13:

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
Gear sport: nfc chip at top left if the screen is facing you, which is at 11 o clock.

Gear s3: nfc chip at top left 11 o clock and mst at bottom right, 5 o clock.

Apple watch: the whole screen is the antenna surface cos it's a ring of antennas housing cellular/Bluetooth/wifi/nfc. The area of antenna is the dark border around the lcd screen.

So if you ask me, gear devices can scan at 12 o clock or face down. Whereas Apple watch can only scan face down.

Nah.. Apple Watch can scan on its side as well. Done and tried it many times using Apple Pay. It is not one beam directional antenna.

I'm starting to notice that you cannot bring in the device all the way that it physically touches the scanner. Hover roughly 2-3cm away and it seems to work more that way

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok just got onto this bandwagon. Just went to bv to register my device. See 7 working days later how.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Nah.. Apple Watch can scan on its side as well. Done and tried it many times using Apple Pay. It is not one beam directional antenna.

I'm starting to notice that you cannot bring in the device all the way that it physically touches the scanner. Hover roughly 2-3cm away and it seems to work more that way

yes. both iphone (top) and apple watch cannot directly touch the reader.
watch also cannot be more than 2.5cm-3cm away (diff readers diff signal strength). that's why very difficult to use esp during peak hrs with long q.
i think i will stop using the trial until they upgrade the reader firmware to better support watch detection.

btw, your "hover" means hold the watch in the air without moving? or hold the watch in the air and move around (eg. circular motion)?

Last edited:

Dingding6

Reaction score
yes. both iphone (top) and apple watch cannot directly touch the reader.
watch also cannot be more than 2.5cm-3cm away (diff readers diff signal strength). that's why very difficult to use esp during peak hrs with long q.
i think i will stop using the trial until they upgrade the reader firmware to better support watch detection.

btw, your "hover" means hold the watch in the air without moving? or hold the watch in the air and move around (eg. circular motion)?

i have to tap my gear on the reader, floating/hovering is not consistent.....fail/no respond more frequent.

tap on the reader give me more smooth and consistent tap/read....the way i do it is, find the peak signal point, for my case is 11 o clock to 12 clock position, i tap my Gear S3 corner at 11 o clock, then lift the rest about 30-45 degree up from the reader....that way you have range of no gap to gap of 3-4cm tapping on the reader

phone should be very easy, just grab your phone while few finger behind the phone, that finger would serve as a stop gap for you to tap on the reader, you would then have consistent gap of your desire....

Last edited:

Anna Chan

Reaction score
Need help on Macbook Air!

Hi everyone,

I need help on my macbook air.
I had windows installed previously and now the c: is always full affecting my work.
Can any kind soul assist?

Slavor

Reaction score
I agree with your method, I've just tried this and I think it'll be the most reliable way to scan the phone and yet protecting your phone. It feels as fast as using the physical card.

i have to tap my gear on the reader, floating/hovering is not consistent.....fail/no respond more frequent.

tap on the reader give me more smooth and consistent tap/read....the way i do it is, find the peak signal point, for my case is 11 o clock to 12 clock position, i tap my Gear S3 corner at 11 o clock, then lift the rest about 30-45 degree up from the reader....that way you have range of no gap to gap of 3-4cm tapping on the reader

phone should be very easy, just grab your phone while few finger behind the phone, that finger would serve as a stop gap for you to tap on the reader, you would then have consistent gap of your desire....

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Tried tapping with my Apple Watch today at MRT gantry, no respond. :s22:

hahaha... apple watch ABT is really giving us very bad user experience.
don't dare to use anymore...

the apple pay ABT backend is working well. just that the frontend i.e. the readers... failed. maybe they should just mount a credit card terminal on top of the mrt gantry like the GTM machine. the GTM's cc terminal can tap apple watch fast and easily, and with arm rest. :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.