The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

only_lonely

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for sunglasses with degree? I did mine years back in Owndays but the degree isn't close to my normal glasses so u don't feel like wearing it.

bigfoot

Master Member
Reaction score
I need reading glasses (old age) but otherwise I have almost perfect eyesight (no need glasses for far). I tried progressive lenses last year but after one month I couldnt get used to it. The reason being that the the sides are blur and the part that is clear is very small area. Optician said I should have opted for the wider progressive lenses. Only then did I realise there are many types. The wider the view, the more it costs. I was not told in the first place. So I was not too please. I changed back to the normal reading glasses anyway. However, I would still want to try progressive. I also think that my last pair, the focus point was not done properly. May I know if there are any shops to recommend? Any shops can guarantee that the if the focal points is done wrongly, I should be able to get a new pair at no extra cost? PM if it is not convenient to share openly. Thank you!

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why progressive lens are so expensive in SG ? Anyone got lobang for a good deal... not considering boleh land

Sent from Samsung SM-T819Y using GAGT

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
The cost to make the lens is relatively contributing factor for the cost. But thinking of it from another viewpoint, you are paying for something to help you see better. It's better to invest for it. Just like handphone, you want better functions and more accessibility then it's more expensive. But usually progressives last for about 2-3 years at least.

Why progressive lens are so expensive in SG ? Anyone got lobang for a good deal... not considering boleh land

bigfoot

Master Member
Reaction score
I need a good progressive lens. One that can help me see well. Roughly how much would it cost? Should I go for branded one or those Korean lenses are good enough? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

nethdale

Reaction score
As a layman and have been wearing progressive lens for almost a decade, progressive lens is neither cheap elsewhere if you are looking at 1-1 exchange rate. I do find it ex locally but it depends which lens technology you are using. Apart from the frame you choose. I tried some in house brand eg Seiko and other brands eg Hoya progressive lens. There are differences in both in terms of the results delivered. Thus, the huge price difference as the cost involved in R&R and etc. I think we have no choice unless you wish to go under knife.

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am in Taipei now , progressive len for local brand is about S$150-200. That is about 1/4 of what I paid in SG.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
That's good if you are ok with the reading area. Better/more ex lenses has a larger viewing area so you don't have to turn your head as much and it's more comfortable.

I am in Taipei now , progressive len for local brand is about S$150-200. That is about 1/4 of what I paid in SG.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Look for hoya lifestyle V+, essilor physio or X design, zeiss precision plus or shamir autographs 2/3. Around 600 plus? Depending on your degree which factors in your lens index=thickness.

I need a good progressive lens. One that can help me see well. Roughly how much would it cost? Should I go for branded one or those Korean lenses are good enough? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes , I never experienced the cheap one before so cannot tell the different, is that the same you get with Ownday?

That's good if you are ok with the reading area. Better/more ex lenses has a larger viewing area so you don't have to turn your head as much and it's more comfortable.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
That range of 100-250 is pretty bad imho. The viewing area is really too small. My suggestion is to get something that last. 6-800 last you 2-3 years I think it's a good investment!

Yes , I never experienced the cheap one before so cannot tell the different, is that the same you get with Ownday?

bigfoot

Master Member
Reaction score
Look for hoya lifestyle V+, essilor physio or X design, zeiss precision plus or shamir autographs 2/3. Around 600 plus? Depending on your degree which factors in your lens index=thickness.
Thank you. I don't have any degree just need reading glasses. $600 is ok for me. Is this the price for teh largest viewing area?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
The largest would be hoya mystyle,zeiss individual 2, essilor x design(xtract(certain places have)). X design have 3 different category. All roughly 1.3-1.5k. But those the distortions at the sides really minimal and large viewing area.

Thank you. I don't have any degree just need reading glasses. $600 is ok for me. Is this the price for teh largest viewing area?

Last edited:

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But with someone like me like to change frame one will still consider doing few in a lower price range.

That range of 100-250 is pretty bad imho. The viewing area is really too small. My suggestion is to get something that last. 6-800 last you 2-3 years I think it's a good investment!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes then get the avg one? Dynamic trueform Hoya, essilor comfort, zeiss precision pure/plus(either one)?
All about 450-550
Do too many but when change also means must change that many if you intending to use same frame.
You save on the lens, if it isn't comfortable for you then you have to change all again.

But with someone like me like to change frame one will still consider doing few in a lower price range.

bigfoot

Master Member
Reaction score
My colleagues recommended Owndays for progressive. Any comments? I understand they only have their inhouse lens?

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My colleagues recommended Owndays for progressive. Any comments? I understand they only have their inhouse lens?
I am also keen to hear some comment on this ....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.