Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seribabymoon

Reaction score
I am also facing loanshark issues but the counsellors and people who have similar experience I spoke with all told me not to pay up and ignore/block all their calls and messages. I also installed a cctv at my doorstep. It has been 1 month now and nothing has happened. Hopefully we will all pull through this.

Reply : hiii.. i also face similar things.. infact worse.. will they disturb workplace..?

Seribabymoon

Reaction score
Have you default ? Have you gone MIA ? (Meaning dont answer their phone or change number)

If yes, within 1-3 days.

Step one is they will send a man up to knock on your door and ask you to call the ah long back. Or take picture of your house and send the picture to you to prove that he indeed got send people up. This serves as a warning.

Step two is you will find writings on the wall. NRIC, name, unit number, O$P$, call XXX @ XXXXXXXX

Step three is splash paint, throw flower pot, and nowadays set fire

Step four is to target your neighbours for step 2 and 3

Step five write off as bad debts but occasionally backside itchy still will send their runner up to do step 2 -4, just for fun

Hii.. i also kena from ahlong... now waitibg for them to find me at my house.. but my house got lift in every landing.. u think they still come over and splash those paints..??

dean42

Reaction score
My friend just stop paying them from police advice.i am concern for him and family. What should he do?

Stupidpic

Reaction score
Hi, I got case almost same ur case, can u give me advise how to settle? First i also give my detail ic and acc number, after I say I need $$ he ask me to tfr 1 month deposit and admin fee, and I first time do this stupid thing , until now say loan not yet to complete and ask me tfr money again but I think I kena cheating, important now I scared my ic because I already take pictures and send to her, everybody can help ?

jeremycc

Reaction score
Stop Loansharks

Hi all,

I got involved with illegal moneylenders some time ago and small loans of under $1000 soon snowballed to more than $20000 in debts. I managed to get out and after reading through some of the ordeals that the loansharks have caused to some of you and your families I wish to help the situation. I cannot help with money but I will help in any other way to eradicate them.

About ten years ago, my close friend’s mother committed suicide due to all the stress with the loanshark harassment and she decided to end her life because she could not take it anymore. Some will say she was a coward, but some of us know first-hand the amount of stress these people cause. There are going to be many negative people here that say serve them right they went to borrow in the first place. That’s not the right way to help the situation, what’s done is done and we have to look ahead to solve the problem. I’m sure everyone that approached them had their own fair share of financial problems which is why they went to them in the first place. I don’t believe anyone was born to approach loansharks and suffer at their hands.

Many of us here are familiar with their unscrupulous tactics, when you want to clear your loan they give you a lot of excuses and ask you to defer your loan. When you finally clear it, they harass you and your family saying you owe them more and send you threatening videos that they will burn your house and go to your workplace.

Illegal moneylenders survive on two things mainly. They feed off our fear of them and our concern for our family and jobs. If we break it down it’s really just those two things. We are afraid our neighbours will know or people at our workplace will find out or they will do harm to our family.

The honest truth is that they are the cowards hiding behind their computers from Malaysia or China. They work in the shadows because they are the ones afraid and have to employ their “fierce” tactics to try to dominate over us mentally.

What we need to do as a community is stand up to them. It doesn’t take a lot to just tell them “F you, I have paid you enough, if you want more you come and find me” Change your number or get a new number to use temporarily. I’m pretty sure 9 of out 10 of them won’t dare come to your house. How many of us here can say yes they actually came to my house?

I think it’s safe to say most of the loansharks will not dare step into our housing estates because of all our laws now. Even the runners, people like ourselves that are in debt are cautious about vandalizing people’s homes now and not a lot of people are keen in doing that anymore. It’s like asking people to be a drug mule, majority of people will think twice but there will be a handful that will do it thinking it will solve all their problems.

I want to start with just a small little idea that I had, which is why I’m posting this in the first place.

How do loansharks operate? Gone are the days of SMS and phonecalls. No one replies their SMS and we don’t pick up unknown calls anymore. Majority of their operation in the past 2-3 years are via Whatsapp. They don’t spend money topping up their pre-paid sim cards to call and SMS people. They use spam SMS services and they are hiding away overseas using whatsapp on their free wifi or data.

99% of illegal moneylenders are operating through Whatsapp. If they message one person and they person blocks them, they are going to message another 100 numbers hoping they would get some business. Unfortunately, Whatsapp doesn’t have a function where we can select “not to receive messages from unknown numbers” so their messages are going to keep coming through anyways. So what can we do to stop them?

When a message comes through, these idiots are dumb enough to leave their whatsapp number to contact them. What I want to do is to start posting all these numbers here with priority more towards people that are actively dealing and currently being harassed from these whatsapp numbers.

If we post their numbers here, and as community, we add their numbers into our contacts, select them and “ Block contact and Report Spam” their accounts would be blocked permanently. The report spam is the most important function here that we have to take advantage of. Most of us just read their message and delete it but we have to report their number.

Yes I know, they have 10 or 20 different numbers and they are just going to message you from another number. But honestly think about it, even if they have 100 numbers, It takes us 5 seconds to report their number and when their accounts are blocked on whastapp they would go into panic mode because a lot of their debtor information is on their whatsapp. The key function is to report them as spam and whatsapp will ban their account which would really hold them back and frustrate them more.

For safety purposes, if anyone is posting a screenshot here, please show proof that these people are indeed illegal moneylenders.

We can’t stop them all but we can play a part I guarantee you this will stop a certain % of them. The police cannot do anything from whatsapp harassment and will only take action if the loansharks have physically harmed anyone.

Adt007

Reaction score
Yes I know, they have 10 or 20 different numbers and they are just going to message you from another number. But honestly think about it, even if they have 100 numbers, It takes us 5 seconds to report their number and when their accounts are blocked on whastapp they would go into panic mode because a lot of their debtor information is on their whatsapp. The key function is to report them as spam and whatsapp will ban their account which would really hold them back and frustrate them more.

No one will do it. It is useless anyway

Debtor info is not stored on their whatsapp. There is a network sharing of database.... something like those legal moneylender network sharing.

feigningfancy

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all, got a very noob qns here. my colleague recently being harassed by loan shark telemarketing. whats the sop to report?

Natsume1985

Reaction score
Need to know

Hi All,

I have a friend, who rented her place/house here in sg and is under Loanshark harassment.
She initially borrowed an amount like 3k? and over the course of 2-3 months, she already returned almost twice the amount, 5k+ maybe? but the Loansharks are saying those are for Late payment charges and interest, hence can only be counted as deferment not a payment, and including her interests and charges now, according to last month when I tried to help her speak the Loansharks, she now has to pay like 15k. And they said if by this month if they do not receive any money, by next month it will be around 20-21k.
I tried persuading her to go to the police, but she was extremely terrified and skeptical about reporting to police because of a few things. Long story short, I will ask here, and have you guys to help enlighten me to address to her concern and worries.

1) Will the Borrowers of Loansharks, face any charges in SG laws, for borrowing from them? If so, what are the charges/punishment that a borrower may face?

2) Since her place is a rented one, she doesn't want to cause any trouble to the landlord and the neighbours, but recently the loansharks sent someone up to take a picture of her house, and threaten to locked her family inside or so and burn the place. she is extremely concerned about her family, especially her daughter who is still studying. how long will it take for the police to resolve? and what is the procedures like?

3) giving her financial situation, she also cannot move out of her place now to get a new place as the security deposit and first month downpayment for renting, is quite huge that she might take a few months to save. Given that, and the repayment of the loansharks, she can only chose to try to pacify them by constantly returning them.

She hasn't stooped to become a runner yet, although she was given the option by the loansharks to provide a bank account for them to use. I wanted to help her to get out of this situation as soon as possible.
Any advices/knowledges/past experiences will be greatly appreciated.
I am currently trying to persuade her to go to police but she is too afraid of facing backlashes from sg laws.

Thanks

Ahpanpanpan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a friend, who rented her place/house here in sg and is under Loanshark harassment.
She initially borrowed an amount like 3k? and over the course of 2-3 months, she already returned almost twice the amount, 5k+ maybe? but the Loansharks are saying those are for Late payment charges and interest, hence can only be counted as deferment not a payment, and including her interests and charges now, according to last month when I tried to help her speak the Loansharks, she now has to pay like 15k. And they said if by this month if they do not receive any money, by next month it will be around 20-21k.
I tried persuading her to go to the police, but she was extremely terrified and skeptical about reporting to police because of a few things. Long story short, I will ask here, and have you guys to help enlighten me to address to her concern and worries.

1) Will the Borrowers of Loansharks, face any charges in SG laws, for borrowing from them? If so, what are the charges/punishment that a borrower may face?

2) Since her place is a rented one, she doesn't want to cause any trouble to the landlord and the neighbours, but recently the loansharks sent someone up to take a picture of her house, and threaten to locked her family inside or so and burn the place. she is extremely concerned about her family, especially her daughter who is still studying. how long will it take for the police to resolve? and what is the procedures like?

3) giving her financial situation, she also cannot move out of her place now to get a new place as the security deposit and first month downpayment for renting, is quite huge that she might take a few months to save. Given that, and the repayment of the loansharks, she can only chose to try to pacify them by constantly returning them.

She hasn't stooped to become a runner yet, although she was given the option by the loansharks to provide a bank account for them to use. I wanted to help her to get out of this situation as soon as possible.
Any advices/knowledges/past experiences will be greatly appreciated.
I am currently trying to persuade her to go to police but she is too afraid of facing backlashes from sg laws.

Thanks

Borrowers won't be charged under the law. Even if you are to report it to the SPF, there is nothing much they can do as you are not the first and won't be the last. Max is just step up petrol nia.

The only solution you can advise is to be brave and face up to the consequences. Just tell them straight that you no longer have anymore money for the time being.

Do not threaten them or play brave. Just keep hanging onto the phone while pleading them. Trust me, it works. They call just pick up. Den plead with them. At the end of the day, ah Long also know how to do their maths. If they realize u no longer have anymore money to pay them, they won't waste their money in hiring runners.

There is only one reason why they willing to spend money on runners, and that is they felt you have either underpay them or taken them for a ride.

Blaze blue

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an experience with loanshark harassment. I did borrow from loanshark 2 years back. From 500, it became 15k in a few months. Also, it was not from 1 loanshark. I borrowed from 13 or more. My advise to all is to stop paying them and ignore their calls or messages. At the same time, go to the police. One thing I wanna point out. The worst case scenario is they can burn your door or splash paint or whatever but would you rather pay thousands rather than to pay a few hundred just to replace your door? And besides, if they don't get any payments from you, they will eventually stop and focus on victims who are still paying them. For me, nothing happened and I vow to not borrow from them ever again.

Natsume1985

Reaction score
Borrowers won't be charged under the law. Even if you are to report it to the SPF, there is nothing much they can do as you are not the first and won't be the last. Max is just step up petrol nia.

The only solution you can advise is to be brave and face up to the consequences. Just tell them straight that you no longer have anymore money for the time being.

Do not threaten them or play brave. Just keep hanging onto the phone while pleading them. Trust me, it works. They call just pick up. Den plead with them. At the end of the day, ah Long also know how to do their maths. If they realize u no longer have anymore money to pay them, they won't waste their money in hiring runners.

There is only one reason why they willing to spend money on runners, and that is they felt you have either underpay them or taken them for a ride.

well, her concern is whether she will be charged under the law, she isn't threatening them or so, but pleading with them only gets a threat in return for harming her family will be her under tremendous stress while she is away at work... her youngest is still at secondary school, if splashing paint or so, its still ok, but burning the door is too over...

I was thinking of cooperating with police to deal with them though but wishes no harm come to her or her family. is there really no other alternative for them to compromise?
But it did address to one of my concern, whether borrowers will be charged.

Thanks

Last edited:

Adt007

Reaction score
I was thinking of cooperating with police to deal with them though but wishes no harm come to her or her family. is there really no other alternative for them to compromise?
But it did address to one of my concern, whether borrowers will be charged.

Thanks

No, dont worry, borrowers wont be charged

But once she give her atm card to the UML, she can be charged.

0402126h

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My case is that i wanted to borrow 2k from UML. They say need to have positive loan history with them so they will transfer me 500 first and i need to return them 750 within the next few days when they contact me and they will issue the 2k loan to me, the 250 difference will be used to offset the first month loan.

3 days later the UML whatsapp me and called me using another number telling me to xfer the 750 which i did and i kept receipt. The next day, i recieve call from them saying they did not receive the money and they say i staged a scam to cheat their money and they want to to transfer another 750 to them.

On the same day i argued with them saying they are trying to scam me and i will not give them another cent and i also made police report. They send photos of my house door and voiddeck also threaten to make me loss my job and disturb my neighbours.

I am going to close my bank account but i not gonna change my number.. really regret what i did.. is this real loanshark or scam..

Adt007

Reaction score
3 days later the UML whatsapp me and called me using another number telling me to xfer the 750 which i did and i kept receipt. The next day, i recieve call from them saying they did not receive the money and they say i staged a scam to cheat their money and they want to to transfer another 750 to them.

I am going to close my bank account but i not gonna change my number.. really regret what i did.. is this real loanshark or scam..

Did u verify with the original number first before you xfer the 750 to a different phone number and a different bank account ?

If no, then the UML can say its not him. Is you stupid to go transfer money to anyone who impersonate him.

And you still need to pay the original UML the 750.

0402126h

Reaction score
Did u verify with the original number first before you xfer the 750 to a different phone number and a different bank account ?

If no, then the UML can say its not him. Is you stupid to go transfer money to anyone who impersonate him.

And you still need to pay the original UML the 750.

Ya tats y i say i stupid.. i nvr verify.. but the caller knows all the loan and repayment that i was promised and the other guys name.

Adt007

Reaction score
Ya tats y i say i stupid.. i nvr verify.. but the caller knows all the loan and repayment that i was promised and the other guys name.

Well then , so what happens now ?

I have never come acroos any ah long using a different number to ask you to pay hiim.

An Ah Long will ALWAYS stick to the same number. They will miss out their old customers and referrals if they keep changing numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.