[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

daryl76

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Anybody using k1 media? Where to buy and how much?

the media itself is not expensive, u need a good container to hold the media and a strong air pump to move it

i used 1.5ltr pet bottle, drill a hole at the cap and use an elbow for air pump, several holes at the bottom for air to escape and u are done

pewpewpew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ups for recommendation of fish lamps.

Or should I just buy from fish shops?

I want those standing kind so can light up both my tanks.

This one is my snail farm. Full of water plants for snails to over breed.
sciC0iml.jpg

This is my puffer tank. Just 2 small dwarf puffers. They are very healthy but the plants are not. My puffers have a voracious appetite for snails and will not eat anything else.
T5caG2jl.jpg

Please help. The place where these 2 tanks are in lack sunlight. Kindly suggest light alternatives.

Last edited:

ahtom82

Reaction score
Do u guys turn on the lights 24 hours or have timer to off and on the lights?

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

ljohn78

Reaction score
Ups for recommendation of fish lamps.

Or should I just buy from fish shops?

I want those standing kind so can light up both my tanks.

This one is my snail farm. Full of water plants for snails to over breed.
sciC0iml.jpg

This is my puffer tank. Just 2 small dwarf puffers. They are very healthy but the plants are not. My puffers have a voracious appetite for snails and will not eat anything else.
T5caG2jl.jpg

Please help. The place where these 2 tanks are in lack sunlight. Kindly suggest light alternatives.
What you have in snail tank is hornwort.

What you have in puffer tank is java fern and spike moss aka peacock fern.

All the plants are very easy to grow. You can use a stand lamp as you desire. They can do well with indirect indoor lighting as long as the lighting is not too dim.

Take note the spike moss is not a true aquatic plant. It might die after a few months due to drowning.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

ljohn78

Reaction score
Do u guys turn on the lights 24 hours or have timer to off and on the lights?

If you are serious at aquascape, you need to put your light on a timer switch. This way you can control the amount of light and light hour the plant receive daily. This can help alot at fighting algae.

24 h light is not natural. In nature, plant has about 8 to 12 h of light. 4 to 6 h of high intensity light.

daryl76

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hmm I rather have a standing lamp leh. At least can shine on both tanks at one go. I also got some plants around there.

it works if it's bright so probably all types work? i wonder if those at cash converters works, many many lamps there

pewpewpew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it works if it's bright so probably all types work? i wonder if those at cash converters works, many many lamps there
Ok so any light lamp will do tiobo, no need what watt what color etc.. I'll go for those Ikea led energy saving kind. And get a timer.

Anyone else knows where to hoot all these?

ahtom82

Reaction score
If you are serious at aquascape, you need to put your light on a timer switch. This way you can control the amount of light and light hour the plant receive daily. This can help alot at fighting algae.

24 h light is not natural. In nature, plant has about 8 to 12 h of light. 4 to 6 h of high intensity light.

I put my tank next to window. My window is frosted type and facing walkway, thus even though the outside sun very hot, won't make my room or the window too hot.

I understand there is risk, of over population of algae due to this, so I'm hoping to try put more plants to fight algae.

Does this means I don't need artificial light? I just use outside natural light?

daryl76

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Ok so any light lamp will do tiobo, no need what watt what color etc.. I'll go for those Ikea led energy saving kind. And get a timer.

Anyone else knows where to hoot all these?

timer can get from those hardware shop, small issue

i thought white light is better, not warm

Nightscapez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i feel damn bad and fuk up.
i killed all 6 of my tetra ytd.
i put too much aqua salt inside the fish tank.
all my other fish survive but all tetra dead.

Archnemo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTW guys, aquaone open their new shop liao!!!

address is 401 guillemard road opening hours 1130 to 2130hrs

for those dunno, boss nicholas used to operate at pasir ris

I just went. Have a large variety of fishes, the tanks looks clean and fishes looks healthy. The place is not cramp too. Prices are good. Just bought Ruby tetras on impulse.

If the fishes can last, I will go back add more.

pewpewpew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just went. Have a large variety of fishes, the tanks looks clean and fishes looks healthy. The place is not cramp too. Prices are good. Just bought Ruby tetras on impulse.

Nice! Near my place somemore. Along Changi road there also got That.

ahtom82

Reaction score
D5y9qEKl.jpg

Can anyone tell me what's happening to my nana leave? Is it got bacteria eating it?

daryl76

Honorary Member
Reaction score

nothing to do with nicholas, just a customer... his fishes are healthy all along, bought a few ITs from him before hence feel that we can support him to keep the community going

ljohn78

Reaction score
I put my tank next to window. My window is frosted type and facing walkway, thus even though the outside sun very hot, won't make my room or the window too hot.

I understand there is risk, of over population of algae due to this, so I'm hoping to try put more plants to fight algae.

Does this means I don't need artificial light? I just use outside natural light?

You still need artificial light.

The low amount of light form the window is enough for algae but not for the plant you intend to grow.

Plant fight algae by acting as a competition for nutrients with the algae. But plant need more light to photosynethsis before they can use up those nutrients.

ljohn78

Reaction score
i feel damn bad and fuk up.
i killed all 6 of my tetra ytd.
i put too much aqua salt inside the fish tank.
all my other fish survive but all tetra dead.

Normally fresh water fish dont need to add salt to their tank.

I know some hobbyist always have salt in their tank to prevent fungus or bacteria.

But in nature, the fish like Tetra live in river that has almost zero salt content in the water. Personally i only add salt to water of hospital tank for really sick fish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.