A day in Philip Island

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions
Have a day to spend in Melbourne.

Main agenda is to catch the penguin parade in the evening. (For end apr, what time does it occur?)

What’s a good itinerary from morning to evening, on the way or at the island itself? Considering self drive.

Appreciate

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Driving from Melbourne to Philip Island takes around 4hrs hours. Advised to stay at least a day in philip island. After you catch the penguin parade and go back, the roads will be very dark, quite dangerous to drive.

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4 hours? That’s very long.
Was considering taking tours but heard it is very rushing

I intend to head back to Melbourne.
What activities do u suggest if we wish to end the night with the penguin parade?

Driving from Melbourne to Philip Island takes around 4hrs hours. Advised to stay at least a day in philip island. After you catch the penguin parade and go back, the roads will be very dark, quite dangerous to drive.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4 hours? That’s very long.
Was considering taking tours but heard it is very rushing

I intend to head back to Melbourne.
What activities do u suggest if we wish to end the night with the penguin parade?

Opps sorry, not 4 hrs. 4hrs is my previous road trip from Torquay (Great Ocean Road) to Philip Island. The route got ferry ride to short-cut.

But when I plot your Melbourne to Philip island on google maps, and it says 2hrs+.

Not sure for getting tours, but I see those coaches on the road, it's like very rush for them. There is nothing much actually at Philip Island at night, after the penguin parade, the roads are complete darkness and we went Cowes area for dinner. Nothing much actually. But it's good for you to settle down for a day. Have a good rest and breakfast before heading back to Melbourne

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Melbourne CBD to P.island is usually less than 2hrs..

There's probably nothing else you can do after the parade, head back to city and see if there's any shops open 24hrs for supper..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
There will be plenty of cars heading back to Melbourne as well. Just find one going at a reasonable speed for your comfort and follow along.

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No worries. I have decided to drive. Any places to suggest before we end off with penguin parade?

Opps sorry, not 4 hrs. 4hrs is my previous road trip from Torquay (Great Ocean Road) to Philip Island. The route got ferry ride to short-cut.

But when I plot your Melbourne to Philip island on google maps, and it says 2hrs+.

Not sure for getting tours, but I see those coaches on the road, it's like very rush for them. There is nothing much actually at Philip Island at night, after the penguin parade, the roads are complete darkness and we went Cowes area for dinner. Nothing much actually. But it's good for you to settle down for a day. Have a good rest and breakfast before heading back to Melbourne

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any suggested places before we hit for the parade?

Hope it’s not pack. Heading there end May.

Saw the forecasted schedule that the parade will come by around 7:30pm only:/

Melbourne CBD to P.island is usually less than 2hrs..

There's probably nothing else you can do after the parade, head back to city and see if there's any shops open 24hrs for supper..

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Awesome andy, this is some good tips. Are parking generally easy to find?

There will be plenty of cars heading back to Melbourne as well. Just find one going at a reasonable speed for your comfort and follow along.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No worries. I have decided to drive. Any places to suggest before we end off with penguin parade?

the parade ends after 7pm plus, after that the whole island have nothing much actually. But i had dinner at cowes, some pizzas over there and probably some supermarket shopping before heading back Airbnb to rest for the day.

Before penguin parade, you can go Koala Conservation Centre to see the kolas.

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Coles as in the restaurant name or the entire area that has restaurant?

Also, do u advise to purchase tickets online before the visit day?

Which tier/category tickets did you purchase for penguin parade?

the parade ends after 7pm plus, after that the whole island have nothing much actually. But i had dinner at cowes, some pizzas over there and probably some supermarket shopping before heading back Airbnb to rest for the day.

Before penguin parade, you can go Koala Conservation Centre to see the kolas.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Awesome andy, this is some good tips. Are parking generally easy to find?

Plenty of parking

Any suggested places before we hit for the parade?

Hope it’s not pack. Heading there end May.

Saw the forecasted schedule that the parade will come by around 7:30pm only:/

Koala conservation, Churchill island, buy the 3 attraction pass..

Yes around that time for May i think, could be earlier

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
july is 8.45pm for the peg peg to waddle home
by the time everything ended, it is 10pm at the carpark pick up the car to go back melb. BUT if it is a good skies night, the starry skies is an unforgettable experiences and u get to see random shooting stars

if u wan local experience, we usually enjoy having pancake parlour for late night supper :o

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds interesting! Shooting star?!
I am heading end apr instead.

Where is this pancake place pls:)

july is 8.45pm for the peg peg to waddle home
by the time everything ended, it is 10pm at the carpark pick up the car to go back melb. BUT if it is a good skies night, the starry skies is an unforgettable experiences and u get to see random shooting stars

if u wan local experience, we usually enjoy having pancake parlour for late night supper :o

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much are the passes? U got the basic or high tier passes that might have special benefits?

Plenty of parking

Koala conservation, Churchill island, buy the 3 attraction pass..

Yes around that time for May i think, could be earlier

wrxkev

Reaction score
JJust something i goggle and read online that koala conservation is not worth the visit. Just my opinion only.

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. If I am heading to the heritage farm and also penguin parade, it seems like it more worth taking the bundle of 3, as suggested by some.

JJust something i goggle and read online that koala conservation is not worth the visit. Just my opinion only.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.