Why not try 1.21SHC.
All the 4 modes are there
1. Router mode
2. Wireless AP
3. Wireless Bridge
4. Wireless Repeater Extender

hk7310

Reaction score
Thank you Tungsten2. I have reverted back to my previous firmware, problem sovled

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Have you tried this :
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-868L

Go direct to recovery mode section

Sent from 当断不断, 害人害己 using GAGT

hk7310

Reaction score
Have you tried this :
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-868L

Go direct to recovery mode section

Yes, as Tungsten2 stated, go to recovery mode.

the recovery mode as follow:

1. Plug the Ethernet cable that connects your computer, that was plugged into one of the LAN ports,
2. Setup your PC with static IP - ex: 192.168.0.2 (different from 192.168.0.1)
3. Make sure the PC has the new firmware
4. Unplug the power
5. Hold the reset button for 3~5 seconds and re plug the power WITHOUT RELEASING THE RESET BUTTON.
6.Open a web browser to 192.168.0.1 and then you should see EMERGENCY FLASHING page then click browse/upload locate the file and click UPLOAD FIRMWARE NOW

7. You should see a SUCCSESS page, If you don’t then re do steps 2-6

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yes, as Tungsten2 stated, go to recovery mode.

the recovery mode as follow:

1. Plug the Ethernet cable that connects your computer, that was plugged into one of the LAN ports,
2. Setup your PC with static IP - ex: 192.168.0.2 (different from 192.168.0.1)
3. Make sure the PC has the new firmware
4. Unplug the power
5. Hold the reset button for 3~5 seconds and re plug the power WITHOUT RELEASING THE RESET BUTTON.
6.Open a web browser to 192.168.0.1 and then you should see EMERGENCY FLASHING page then click browse/upload locate the file and click UPLOAD FIRMWARE NOW

7. You should see a SUCCSESS page, If you don’t then re do steps 2-6
When anyone does this procedure, one thing to take note.

One can literally flash any file as the firmware (unlike flashing via DLink firmware which however, is limited to newer version than the installed firmware, but it does do some verifying of the firmware), so make sure u select the proper firmware or there is the risk of bricking the router.

giants_lee

Reaction score
Thanks, All.

Tried the steps exactly and it works.

Previously didn't follow the steps exactly and didn't get into recovery mode.

chris30j

Reaction score
Dear giants_lee sir (",) after having used both versions 1.21 (for StarHub users) and 1.20beta (for the rest of the world), would you review or recommend which version? Just would like to know how you feel about both versions. Thank ü.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear giants_lee sir (",) after having used both versions 1.21 (for StarHub users) and 1.20beta (for the rest of the world), would you review or recommend which version? Just would like to know how you feel about both versions. Thank ü.

The recommended version are either 1.21 or 1.09 for Starhub customer.

Please do download > DIR-868L Firmware

Do read the instruction carefully as there are steps to follow to update to 1.21 version.

Edit/ Note:
Version 1.21 is for all.
V1.20 BETA not recommended since 1.21 is out.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From the pdf of version 1.21

DIR-868LFirmware Release Notes

Firmware:FWv1.21SHC
Hardware: Rev.A1

Release Date: 2017/12/19

Note:

1. The firmware version is advanced to v1.21SHC

2. The firmwarev1.21SHC must be upgraded from the transitional version of firmware v1.10SHC.

3. The reported exploit below are found by “Tony Loi of Fortinet’s FortiGuard Labs http://www.fortiguard.com/”

4. Enhance WPA security vulnerabilities

Problems Resolved:

1. Fixed the security issues reported by Tony Loi on October24th, 2017.
  • Buffer overflow issue in authentication request (cgibin)

2. Fix Wi-Fi Krack vulnerability

Version 1.09 SHC is standard for Starhub customer and without the abovementioned.

Regards.

giants_lee

Reaction score
Hi, I used v1.21 cos I need to use it as a wireless AP. v1.20 does not have the configuration option to do it like v1.21 easily.

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Not aware you can just convert a router to a mesh system. Do you have the source ?

Zon

Master Member
Reaction score
Look under olsr router settings.
Or Google dd wrt and mesh.

Not sure if this model supports though, that's why I am asking. 868l now darn cheap in carousell.

Anyway, I changed to different ssid, found that my 868l running dd wrt can cover my MBR very well. Previously on same ssid with another xiaomi router, think it got confused and wifi speed was slow.

Guess I don't need the mesh route for now.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Look under olsr router settings.
Or Google dd wrt and mesh.

Not sure if this model supports though, that's why I am asking. 868l now darn cheap in carousell.

Anyway, I changed to different ssid, found that my 868l running dd wrt can cover my MBR very well. Previously on same ssid with another xiaomi router, think it got confused and wifi speed was slow.

Guess I don't need the mesh route for now.

Normal DLink DIR-868L firmware do have wireless repeater mode, which is similar to mesh.
Hence there is no need to use ddwrt firmware as current dlink 868l firmware (v1.09 & v1.21) do able to support.

If you have 2 or more same model 868L routers, the wireless repeater mode will auto config to same SSID as the main router.
This is fixed and there is no way you can change the SSID of the repeater routers.

For this i had gone thru this in autozoning trial with DLink on 2 868L with 1 router on repeater mode.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.