Xiaomi Mi 5!

Janx2S

Reaction score
Still worth buying?

currently im holding a g5, but every since 2g network got shut down, my 2sim slot become useless. i need a phone with 2 active sim slot. shortlisted mi5 as it's affordable and it has decent spec.

but after reading this thread, i'm all confused by all the terms 'bootloader', 'flash to global rom'. is it a must to do this bootloader thing after one get the phone? I'm just a regular user, will prefer to avoid all these trouble.

and where sells this phone at the cheapest price? Qoo10? lazade? any issue with warranty if i will to get the phone online rather than xm store?

SZQddy

Reaction score
currently im holding a g5, but every since 2g network got shut down, my 2sim slot become useless. i need a phone with 2 active sim slot. shortlisted mi5 as it's affordable and it has decent spec.

but after reading this thread, i'm all confused by all the terms 'bootloader', 'flash to global rom'. is it a must to do this bootloader thing after one get the phone? I'm just a regular user, will prefer to avoid all these trouble.

and where sells this phone at the cheapest price? Qoo10? lazade? any issue with warranty if i will to get the phone online rather than xm store?

No real need to unlock bootloader or install global rom. I bought the Mi 5 and it came with the China ROM. I updated to 8.1.6.0 (Marshmallow), factory reset, set the language to English and installed the Google services pretty easily.

It has been working beautifully ever since. Dual sim 3G+4G, IR Blaster, GPS, Google Play, dual apps... everything works perfectly. I quite like MIUI 8, snappy and responsive, battery life is excellent, and camera is very good.

I haven't updated to Nougat because it's been working so well and I've heard of issues.

MIUI 9 should be arriving in August so I'll wait until then to update.

Regarding the global rom, the only benefits are integrated Google Play services and the removal of some China only apps. Neither was a problem for me and the China rom had better audio and overall performance last time I checked (although it may have improved since then).

Last edited:

SZQddy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a case for the Mi 5 in Osaka?

I'll be here a while and my current case has fallen apart. I've checked BIC and Yodobashi Camera but they don't stock them. I'll have a wander around Namba and Shinsaibashi.

As a last resort I can order online and get it delivered but I would rather buy in person asap.

Thanks!

tottenham21

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a case for the Mi 5 in Osaka?

I'll be here a while and my current case has fallen apart. I've checked BIC and Yodobashi Camera but they don't stock them. I'll have a wander around Namba and Shinsaibashi.

As a last resort I can order online and get it delivered but I would rather buy in person asap.

Thanks!

bro, i recommend you to buy from taobao, they can send to you within a week.

Got my backcase and screen protector from there, and very cheap!

Extech

Reaction score
Bot Mi5 for me and bro. Both secondhand set but all working well, $200 and less. Recently dropped mine but luckily crack only at back. Damm good daily driver

betaunknown

Reaction score

For Mi 5, xiaomi will usually allow you to unlock the bootloader.

Unlocking the bootloader allows you to install Global ROM as well as Custom ROMS.

If you buy from Qoo10 or Lazada usually the seller would have replaced the Chinese ROM with the Global ROM on the phone already.

Quentine

Reaction score
Anyone know of anywhere cheap to change the Mi5 battery? Got a secondhand one but battery barely lasts 2 hours...

carboy00

Reaction score
Anyone updated to the latest MIUI 9.2.1 firmware facing battery life issues? Disastrous battery life after the update, watched battery percentage dropped from 43% to 35% in a matter of seconds without me doing anything. Or is it a sign of a wonky battery? Battery life was still okay on previous 9.1.1 build. :(

carboy00

Reaction score
Anyone knows how much Mi service centre charges for out-of-warranty battery replacement for Mi 5?

cosycatus

Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing Google camera on this phone? Can tell me the steps? Read xda till blur

Quentine

Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing Google camera on this phone? Can tell me the steps? Read xda till blur

Download any version from here : https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/.
Install the apk, then restart, voila!

Quentine

Reaction score
Do I need to unlock boot loader to load the camera2api?

Good question. I dont think so, but then again if youve not unlocked your bootloader the stock camera app is fantastic too, why do u need google camera? :s11:

Google camera is mainly for custom roms where the inbuilt camera app is bad, or for really rare occasions like the Essential phone where the stock camera app is bad, but Mi5 stock camera is excellent.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.