[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

4) I note that the Synology models have 2 Ethernet ports, which support link aggregation. Is this necessary? or i can get by fine with one on the Asustor?

The post above have answered most. But I will highlight to you the following. Read the following
https://serverfault.com/questions/569060/link-aggregation-lacp-802-3ad-max-throughput/569125#569125

Some have misconceptions as to LACP will give them increased bandwidth. The answer is YES/NO. Yes if you are in a multi hosts environments where all are accessing the NAS simultaneously to best exploit on LACP having there are multiple TCP/IP connection streams to allow distribution. If you are just a single user trying to access the NAS and hope to get extra bandwidth, I'm afraid the answer is NO. So LACP for most consumers are pointless, and seriously I don't know what most of you guys are doing that you need HA at home. :)

Eidekos

Reaction score
Looking at DS218j also, how is it compare to asustor 1002T. really need input as a newbie to this NAS thing, even reading the whole thread here :D

mac user as well, just need some storage to multiple portable HD and streaming using apple TV.

UY_Scuti

Reaction score
Kodi is good with hdmi not wireless. It supports any video with subs i've thrown to it so far. No complains. Only complain i have is the gui interface. Not userfriendly as compared to Synology everything is every where

In that case, will recommend Synology. But note on the video for embedded subs will not be shown vi dlna but external subs works perfectly.

Yes link agg is not required if you are not looking for redundancy nor constant usage of more than 1Gbps.

If Synology skip red. Buy toshiba or hgst

Thank you!

looks like i will need to drill a hole into my console for HDMI :s13: or i stream via Asustor/Synology's inhouse app.

The post above have answered most. But I will highlight to you the following. Read the following
https://serverfault.com/questions/569060/link-aggregation-lacp-802-3ad-max-throughput/569125#569125

Some have misconceptions as to LACP will give them increased bandwidth. The answer is YES/NO. Yes if you are in a multi hosts environments where all are accessing the NAS simultaneously to best exploit on LACP having there are multiple TCP/IP connection streams to allow distribution. If you are just a single user trying to access the NAS and hope to get extra bandwidth, I'm afraid the answer is NO. So LACP for most consumers are pointless, and seriously I don't know what most of you guys are doing that you need HA at home. :)

thanks for the enlightening article..ok looks like its an overkill which I thought it might be. I dont expect the NAS to be under severe load from multiple users at a time. Likely stream movie plus small file transfer simultaneously and not often.

pinkahlao

Reaction score
Get 218j. Synology are for mac users.

Looking at DS218j also, how is it compare to asustor 1002T. really need input as a newbie to this NAS thing, even reading the whole thread here :D

mac user as well, just need some storage to multiple portable HD and streaming using apple TV.

dryteletubby

Reaction score

I brought the asustor as1002t for $160. It works fine as a simple Nas. I have it connected to my Linux VMs, windows pc,android and Kodi system via smb/sftp. They have a demo system on their website to try out.

blurwulf

Banned
Reaction score
An AC56U can do 900mbps up/down wired. I was using it. No reason why he can't do 500mbps wired.

To do 500mbps wireless would require more significant investment however.

I never tried wired connection. My speedtest 200+mbps is on wireless.

So far my ds218j is doing what it's supposed to do. But then i thought a nas could offer a bit extra edge as compared to my old WD book that i used to connect it to my router as network drive, the end result is no that much difference... Good thing is it can run plex server, something I need it for keeping my huge mp3 library organized and streaming mp3 on my ipod touch.
And speaking of plex, ds218j is just an entry level nas, it doesn't have the enough power to do a smooth video transcoding and thus users might face difficulties when running video on plex.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I need it. But i am of different kind of users-maybe. I set up mpio for it though...

As a "power user" maybe, i only do on 2 out of the 4 lan ports i have.

Maybe i do it wrong also, need David to enlighten.

like what david has said, if you don't know what is it, don't spend unnecessary money.

Last edited:

zulthezookeeper

Reaction score
Just my recommendation. Let it run 24x7. It's not power hungry anyway. It's better for your hardware, especially the hard disk to be running all the time at near constant temperature instead of the harsh cold boot daily.

But for my case, I have it running in this mode mainly for RADIUS authentication, router function as well as recently camera surveillance

True that. I have mine stored in a closet near where I sleep. The HDD keeps reading/writing. Figured I could have a power schedule to minimise the sounds of read/write.

Temps, as read by the NAS, reaches 57. Am I just being too worried?

tan_hl

Reaction score
anyway tried wake on lan for DS218? or any better way to remote power on the storage?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
.....Temps, as read by the NAS, reaches 57. Am I just being too worried?

57°C is kinda hot for HDD. My Toshiba 2TB HDDs around 40°C during read/write.

Yes, as follow:
Mon-Fri: 7pm On, 1am Off
Sat-Sun: 8am On, 1am Off

Using Synology Hardware schedule to perform auto On/Off

As for the On/Off schedule, I ran exactly the same schedule for 3 years with my previous ds414. Now running the same with my ds418.

zulthezookeeper

Reaction score
57°C is kinda hot for HDD. My Toshiba 2TB HDDs around 40°C during read/write.

As for the On/Off schedule, I ran exactly the same schedule for 3 years with my previous ds414. Now running the same with my ds418.

Yeah my closet is enclosed and the area it sits doesn't have proper passive ventilation. And it's right next to the ups. Thanks for the input. Might let my NAS be on schedule since I don't need it at night.

DesertStrike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dun really understand SHR...

if i have 2*3tb and 2*2tb, how much usable storage do i have under SHR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.