Home Automation Enthusiasts

bluzfin35

Reaction score
I am quite worried these systems get hack in my home. Maybe i am watching too much movies. haha. Any advice on some ways to secure the home automation devices?

shacboi

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Will look into it. Cost wise seems pretty competitive, although probably not as affordable as the yeelight. Would you have any thoughts on that?

Haha i just came across the article, im not using Philips hue or Innr,

But the article wrote dat Innr is fully compatible with Philips hue integration den it will be better choice since price is better i personally think.

Aditshar

Reaction score
Invest in a good router that have good security features. Asus, Netgear or any reputable brands have such features build in. That will be your primary defense for your home network.

I am quite worried these systems get hack in my home. Maybe i am watching too much movies. haha. Any advice on some ways to secure the home automation devices?

Slavor

Reaction score
I agree! Just that right now I'm dipping my toes into home automation and putting down money for a phillips hue/Innr bulbs when yeelight is an affordable alternative to try out first...

Haha i just came across the article, im not using Philips hue or Innr,

But the article wrote dat Innr is fully compatible with Philips hue integration den it will be better choice since price is better i personally think.

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Invest in a good router that have good security features. Asus, Netgear or any reputable brands have such features build in. That will be your primary defense for your home network.

to add on, when planning out your HA topology, using RF or IR for simple home fitting control is fine, but do not use them for security related stuff like intruder sensors and locks as they can be easily cloned. Zigbee and Z Wave are dedicated home automation protocols that support much higher security levels.No point having a good router and then getting hacked by someone using a short wave radio sniffer.

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Ordered one and looking into seeing how else to automate!

Smart bulbs are the most obvious one, but Phillips Hue Is really a bit ex just for me to start out. Yeelight seems promising but I'll need to read through this thread from the beginning to see what's the consensus on it lol.

1 common fallacy is that although it is good to have smart bulbs and lamps, all these require the physical switch to be always on. All it takes is 1 person who doesnt follow your home HA rules to switch off the switch and your smart light fitting is off and cant be controlled.

It would also be good to consider smart switches instead. The on/off control is at the switch level and means that any dumb bulb or light fitting becomes smart due to the switch. This greatly increases the variety of led bulbs and lights you can control. However you will lose granular settings like color temperature and brightness of cos

Slavor

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Currently not in a position to make any changes to my housing conditions, so that's why I'm just dipping a bit in smart home living now. Smart switches are definitely something to be considered in the future.

1 common fallacy is that although it is good to have smart bulbs and lamps, all these require the physical switch to be always on. All it takes is 1 person who doesnt follow your home HA rules to switch off the switch and your smart light fitting is off and cant be controlled.

It would also be good to consider smart switches instead. The on/off control is at the switch level and means that any dumb bulb or light fitting becomes smart due to the switch. This greatly increases the variety of led bulbs and lights you can control. However you will lose granular settings like color temperature and brightness of cos

shacboi

Reaction score
Bulbs or Light Switches

Thanks for the advice! Currently not in a position to make any changes to my housing conditions, so that's why I'm just dipping a bit in smart home living now. Smart switches are definitely something to be considered in the future.

Hi Slavor, what AsusEpoxy said is true. If possible, change the light switch is more cost effective as a light switch may control like 1 to 6 downlights in a room for example.

so if you are looking to change all the bulbs in the house can be quite costly even you get the cheaper alternative.

But understand in your position, sometimes you cant make the decision alone, for my case my wife at first don't allow me to change the switches in the house too! LOL.

zc_squash

Reaction score

I have a few smart bulbs at the moment and ready to 'progress' into next level of automation. I am considering smart switches so I can also control my tracklights and if possible, ceiling fan.

I just found out that most smart switches require a neutral wire, which (I think) my HDB flat does not have. What are my other options?

Also, I'd need it to work with Google Home. Appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers.

Epi_curean

Reaction score

zc_squash

Reaction score
But need to wire in a bypass load near the lighting, that's extra work though

Looks like it. I'm not a great handyman so will opt for an easier option where possible.

I found out, and it may already been discussed here before, Livolo remote switches + remote controller + Broadlink RM Pro will give me the ability to control the switches via Google Home.

Have anyone used this combo? Also, if I have 2-way switches, is it possible that I use Livolo on one end and my normal, dumb switch on the other? I'm trying to cut down cost.

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Looks like it. I'm not a great handyman so will opt for an easier option where possible.

I found out, and it may already been discussed here before, Livolo remote switches + remote controller + Broadlink RM Pro will give me the ability to control the switches via Google Home.

Have anyone used this combo? Also, if I have 2-way switches, is it possible that I use Livolo on one end and my normal, dumb switch on the other? I'm trying to cut down cost.

the prob with such switches is that they are always ON as they need a small current to keep themselves on. 2 way switching depends on either switch to be off.

My workaround for this was to use a unique feature in Xiaomi's Aqara in which a switch can emulate the function of another switch, hence achieving my "2 way" .

Epi_curean

Reaction score
Besides Samsung Smartthings, which zigbee controller works well with Aqara?
I read that unlike Z wave, zigbee is much pickier with pairing

cweihang

Reaction score
Is there any work around to make the Aqara switch work with Google assistant?

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.