*Official* Shiny Things club - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys what is some of expense managing app or finance managing app you guys used?

can shared?
Why do you need an app to manage expenses? I just spend on necessities and some discretionary stuff. I maintain an excel with a PNL tab and a balancesheet tab, one row for each month. The PNL tab I input my salary for the month, expenses for the month and savings for the month. In the balancesheet, I put my breakup of my mark to market networth as of the end of the month. This way I know my average spend and savings over a period of time, also I know my networth with ratios of equity to bonds, overseas Vs domestic etc. Also I know how my networth has grown over a period of time.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

meltbread

Reaction score
Try this:
At the SCB online trading page, click the settings button at top right, at "search filter" tab, tick all the other stock markets. VT is under ASE, america stock exchange.

The others' advice on VWRD and IWDA is right, but at least you don't get scammed by SCB's confusing UI :s13:

Welcome to the (very small) club of long-term ETF investors

Wahlao eh. I thought ASE was Australian Stock Exchange.

SCBs interface really needs some touching up, but it serves it's purpose I guess :s22:

I'll most likely go into IWDA. Have 7 - 10 working days to make my decision as they set up the London & HK accounts.

Why is the club for long term ETF investing small though... I thought that's what the shiny things book is about haha.

cheers!

meltbread

Reaction score
All of Vanguard's ETFs distribute dividends. iShares' ETFs have a mix (some of them even have a distributing and a non-distributing version of the same fund).

If you want a pure S&P500 play, VUSD and CSPX are S&P500 ETFs domiciled in Ireland and listed on London (so 15% instead of 30%). However, IWDA covers all developed markets, which is better for beginners.

Yup I'm a pure beginner. I stumbled across the shiny things book while stumbling on the internets lol.

I have time to read up abit. Now leaning towards IWDA and getting the balance right (the age equation thingy).

xyziop

Reaction score
Good insights from many contributors above. Just to also contribute my thoughts,

For me I do not need my emergency funds to be instantaneous liquid, as long as I can convert it to cash within a week should be fine. SSB monthly liquidity is actually not suitable I feel, its way too long. The main reason for me not to execute the strategy in that article is that it is going to make my life harder trying to keep track of the asset allocation ratio between the main portfolio and the e.fund unless there is a more suitable 40/60 mix which doesn't comprise of STI (so the correlation between the main portfolio and the emergency fund is also going to be a problem) which is already in my main portfolio. And also like wealth farmer mentioned, the notion of jacking it up by 30% is kind of weird to me too because I can put 130% of it under my bed and its value is not going to fall below 100% anyway.

Last edited:

soulblader_89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wanna ask, by using the method state in this thread, by the great Shining

* Put your money in a mix of low-cost stock and bond ETFs - for Singaporean investors, that's ES3 and A35, respectively; make the percentages equal to "110 minus your age" in stocks, and the rest in bonds;
* Once a year, at the same time every year, rebalance your money - buy and sell to bring your stocks and bonds back to that "110 minus your age" proportion;
* Go to the pub.

How many percent of return will I be expecting each year?

Will I at least guarantee 8% each year of return?

little pupsky

Reaction score
Part of the learning is to recognize why these are not productive questions to ask.

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No one can give guarantees on investment returns. Not even Buffett. The best anyone can do is to take historical returns to make a rough guestimate for the long run.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

High chances next 10 years no returns. May be 20 years no returns and then 10 years later markets go up 100 times. Anything is possible. Just look at Nikkei.

Markets can remain irrational longer then we can remain solvent. This is not just overvaluation irrationality. It can be undervaluation irrationality too.

Basically when markets kept going up for last 10 years nobody bought into the DCA stuff. Now everyone seems to be getting on-board. So logic dictates that when everyone is thinking the same thing, it won't happen.

Last edited:

peipei1

Reaction score
Last 10 years has been the best for annual returns or close to. There is this economical cycle that i read the next 10 year has high probability of burst. Experts say most optimisc we will get 5% annual return from stock markets. It is just enough to beat inflation so long we hold our stock position :(

Support ST new thread for it keeps us average worker mice engaged in investing for our future (not a bright one seemingly)!

peipei1

Reaction score
Some days iwda & eimi prices shot up on the open, and then fall down.

Is the sudden rise due to daily revaluation and dividend reinvestment?

funkypunk

Reaction score
Last 10 years has been the best for annual returns or close to. There is this economical cycle that i read the next 10 year has high probability of burst. Experts say most optimisc we will get 5% annual return from stock markets. It is just enough to beat inflation so long we hold our stock position :(

If you are just talking about 10-year returns then I am sure we are not "best" or close to "best"

Did a quick google and found this. of cos this is just S&P500 (and Jan2017) but I believe we have had periods with better 10-year returns. Once again human memories tend to be quite near-term biased.

Reference chart

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stock markets is just like business. In business there can be profit or loss. There is no implicit inflation beater guarantee in business. Cash may not beat inflation, but that's ok. If you have enough if it, there is no need to risk capital loss just to beat inflation.

funkypunk

Reaction score

I think you have to think about it from this angle:

If not a stock/bond portfolio, what else are you going to 'store' this money? Remember that you are thinking of 'investing' because now you have no need to use these funds.

Remembering what is out there:
Put under bed : no interest earned, notes may be eaten by rats
Put in deposit account in bank : v v low interest, but very safe, no drop in value
Fixed deposit : slightly higher interest but only if you totally can't use it in the meantime
Gold :hard to buy/sell, probably no growth
Property: ???
Buy collector's items like art,wine : ???

So yeah a stock/bond portfolio is probably the best choice.

aYu82

Reaction score
Hi guys, may i know if we can buy index like FTSE ST Index for various sectors?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me I do not need my emergency funds to be instantaneous liquid, as long as I can convert it to cash within a week should be fine. SSB monthly liquidity is actually not suitable I feel, its way too long.
You have an ultra short-term reserve fund, or at least you should. It's...your ordinary bank account. Hopefully it's holding $50,000 or less, the limit on Singapore deposit insurance. Or at least not much more than $50,000.

If your ordinary bank account is big enough for a couple of months of living expenses, that's fine. Your SSBes can then handle most or all of the remainder of your emergency reserve fund.

wealth_farmer

Reaction score
I’m going to assume that you mean sector ETFs, but not necessarily limited to Singapore market. Yes there are. For eg DH2O for water/utilities stocks, RBOT for so-called AI stocks, IWDP for global REITs etc. There are also ETFs for drone companies, whisky companies etc.

However you should probably ensure your core portfolio is of a certain size first. Unless you have firsthand subject matter expertise knowledge of certain sectors, investing based on your perceived knowledge and/or positive sentiments is a punt at best.

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They don't exist for the local stock market. Only the US and other large markets like the LSE have such sector specific ETFs.

Those are sector specific bets which are not suited for relatively small portfolios. Even for larger portfolios, they should be of small percentages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.