Audio Engine speakers discussion thread [consolidated]

wai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For bad volume knob you can troubleshoot by shorting the input pin with the middle pin.

mine should be due to bad volume knob, because as i turn the knob, i can hear the right speaker goes loud and soft.

any guide on how to dismantle and shorting the pin? will some contact cleaner help to fix the knob?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use crocodile clips to short stuff

s-l225.jpg

How comfortable are you with soldering?

Dahawk

Master Member
Reaction score
i have a low buzzing sound coming from my AE5s. Like static noise. Is it a speaker fault or my dac fault?

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a pair of a2+. Anyone can give a quick review or impression of it? Also if I get it should I pair it with the d1 or got any other dac that is better for a similar price?

It's pretty good just for desk use. I used the A2+ for about 3 years without any issues. Had to sell it off cause moving house.

IMO I thought the staging was quite good for the size. Not really sure how it compares to other options at that price point since I don't really know about the competitors. I only used it for near field listening so computer set up basically. If you can put the speakers at your ear level it should be pretty good.

There is in built dac but I didn't really use it that much cause I didn't have enough USB ports lol. I mostly used the 3.5mm cable cause easier to switch from laptop output to phone sometimes.

I think they're decent if you have space constraints and if it fits your budget. Else if you can increase your budget and have more space, maybe someone else might want to recommend something better.

(btw I've heard some people think that they suck completely. But those people come from jbl305 kind of level)

Dearboy87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, like many others here, my AE5's are finally dying.

The left side is much softer compared to the right side. I currently balance them out using Windows by setting the right side to volume 37 and keeping the left at 100.

I have no idea where the original owner of these AE5s bought these from. I am currently looking for a way to either repair them or have them upgraded to something else, maybe an AE5+, with some topup on my side.

Any recommendations on where to begin? Thanks!

Now my A5+ has same issue after 6 years~

Anyone know where can send for repair? right side softer than left side...

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sell it? I offer $100.

At least if it's under my possession I can take my own sweet time to repair and post the findings.

sinistral

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With reference to my post here, I have made a bad, elementary mistake of not checking my subwoofer by itself.

The subwoofer is still working fine, and I realise it's the Line Out of my AE5+ that has somehow malfunctioned. The speaker is still under warranty thankfully, so I will send back to distro and hopefully get it repaired.

viperx

Reaction score
Anyone using HD3? Any feedbacks on sound quality and durability? I see quite a few posts in the last few pages with issues on their audioengines. I intend to use them for gaming, music and movies. Mostly music.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using HD3? Any feedbacks on sound quality and durability? I see quite a few posts in the last few pages with issues on their audioengines. I intend to use them for gaming, music and movies. Mostly music.

By now I find speakers that spoil after 1 year to 3 years as normal. I'm currently in possession of a Razer Leviathan with a faulty power adapter.

viperx

Reaction score
By now I find speakers that spoil after 1 year to 3 years as normal. I'm currently in possession of a Razer Leviathan with a faulty power adapter.

I see. So means definitely must by local set with warranty.

ChaozHoi

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking for the passive side of audioengine A2. Mine has a cracked woofer but the side with electronics working properly

demonqiyue

Reaction score
Would like to know if Bose Companion 50 compared to Audio Engine A5+ (without DAC / S8) in terms of price and sound quality which is a better choice? since the price came about almost the same. Please advise.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.