[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS Lyra Trio - Corner to Corner WiFi

namah19

Reaction score
Questions/Doubts

Hi All,

Was not satisfied with the 70Mbps from my 1Gbps Singtel plan i was getting from my HomePlugs on my desktop PC in the most extreme corner of my house so decided to take the plunge to get the Asus Lyra Trio. Was told by the Challenger salesperson that one of the nodes could replace my Singtel AC Router but alas i found out after 1.5 hours on the Asus hotline and making a trip as suggested by the helpdesk to Asus service centre that i cannot do it. So since i have bought this already, i then proceeded to connect one node to router and then placed 2 more in the bedrooms. Ended up getting about 200 Mbps+- on my desktop PC.
So while playing around the app, i saw i was on router mode so i changed it to AP mode. After the change, my desktop PC became 90Mbps :eek:
So i changed the app settings back to router operation mode but still same speed. Do i need to do something or rather what mode should i be on?

And initially i noticed my network plan was internet to living room(3 green lines) then to hallway(2 green lines) and then on to bedroom where my PC was (3 green lines). Now it has changed to internet to living room where there is a fork to both hallway(3 green lines) and bedroom(2 green lines)
How do i get my intitial network plan back?
Thanks in advance.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was not satisfied with the 70Mbps from my 1Gbps Singtel plan i was getting from my HomePlugs on my desktop PC in the most extreme corner of my house so decided to take the plunge to get the Asus Lyra Trio. Was told by the Challenger salesperson that one of the nodes could replace my Singtel AC Router but alas i found out after 1.5 hours on the Asus hotline and making a trip as suggested by the helpdesk to Asus service centre that i cannot do it. So since i have bought this already, i then proceeded to connect one node to router and then placed 2 more in the bedrooms. Ended up getting about 200 Mbps+- on my desktop PC.
So while playing around the app, i saw i was on router mode so i changed it to AP mode. After the change, my desktop PC became 90Mbps :eek:
So i changed the app settings back to router operation mode but still same speed. Do i need to do something or rather what mode should i be on?

And initially i noticed my network plan was internet to living room(3 green lines) then to hallway(2 green lines) and then on to bedroom where my PC was (3 green lines). Now it has changed to internet to living room where there is a fork to both hallway(3 green lines) and bedroom(2 green lines)
How do i get my intitial network plan back?
Thanks in advance.

Looks like due to the different boot up of the nodes. Mesh nodes adapt when there're points of failure and auto reconnect to next nearest node. Bedroom node probably rebooted first and proceeded to link up with your primary, followed by the 2nd node. Maybe turn on the bedroom node last ?

Logically, only difference between router and AP is AP mode avoids double Nat

Last edited:

namah19

Reaction score
Thank you. I rebooted the last node and connected it to 2nd node instead of main node. It works again :)

evobenny

Reaction score
Hi Maylyn, iMovies,

With the help from a Asus staff who is also my ex-collegue, I managed to get it up and working.. I would like to share what we have done.

First, set up all the 3 Trio nodes as usual over wireless backhaul using Lyra App.
This is can be done at one location. No need to position the nodes far away..
All 3 nodes should display Solid Cyan after a while.
sd1fgp.jpg

Second, leave all the 3 nodes power on, use Lyra App to configure the nodes to AP mode. Since the 3 nodes works like a single device with single ssid, all 3 nodes will be configured to AP mode at one go.

Third, power off all the nodes and:
- Remove the existing cable connecting the switch and WAN port of node 1 and connect it to LAN port of node 1
- Deploy node 2 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 2
- Deploy node 3 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 3

Lastly, power on all nodes and wait for a while until:
- Node 1 turns Solid Cyan
- Node 2 turns Solid Green
- Node 3 turns Solid Green

9jki9u.jpg

Now, I am getting great speeds of 100~300mbps (down) and 400~600 (up) on all the 3 units using speedtest App on my handphone

But, there is one thing Asus can improve on the Trio.
I noticed that the nodes get a little warm after a long while, especially when you are going to leave it on for 24/7.
So, I would like to suggest to Asus to:
- Deem the LED lights when there is no traffic after a certain time frame
- Reduce the wifi transmission power when is no traffic after a certain time frame
- When there is any traffic or connection, it will resume normal brightness and wifi power

"Time frame" to be configurable by user. I believe this should be able to achieve through firmware upgrades..

I think this will increase the lifespan of the device and save energy.

hi guys! I need some help, my asus lyra trio does not seem to mesh, it act like an individual ap, when I move near each lyra trio it does not seem to switch the the nearest lyra, I need to off and on my wifi on the phone before it connect to the nearest lyra.

I am set up like the picture 2, each lyra node is connected directly to the asus router ( wifi off already) via ethernet backhaul.

The image I get from the lyra app is as attached. need your kind advise. many thanks in advance

veni49.jpg

on the living room lyra trio, it show cyan, the rest of the bedroom and masterbedroom shows green light.

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys! I need some help, my asus lyra trio does not seem to mesh, it act like an individual ap, when I move near each lyra trio it does not seem to switch the the nearest lyra, I need to off and on my wifi on the phone before it connect to the nearest lyra.

I am set up like the picture 2, each lyra node is connected directly to the asus router ( wifi off already) via ethernet backhaul.

The image I get from the lyra app is as attached. need your kind advise. many thanks in advance

[ IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/veni49.jpg[/IMG]

on the living room lyra trio, it show cyan, the rest of the bedroom and masterbedroom shows green light.

Ethernet backhaul works only if 1st node is the router. In your case, it will need to be:

Lyra 1
|
asus router ( ap mode ) - lyra 2 - lyra 3

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ethernet backhaul works only if 1st node is the router. In your case, it will need to be:

Lyra 1
|
asus router ( ap mode ) - lyra 2 - lyra 3
When I used the Trio as a router, had difficulty getting good speeds with both wireless and wired. Ended up using Trio as AP after my router. I can still roam seamlessly and phone wifi switches automatically.

Sent from HUAWEI CLT-L29 using GAGT

nox2608

Reaction score
Just bought the two pack lyra trio. It works in wireless backhaul (both nodes cyan) but when plugging in the ethernet for wired backhaul i faced a strange issue.

Node 1 remains cyan which is normal. Node 2 will toggle between blue, cyan and green. I can't connect to node 2 when it is like this.

Pretty sure i've set it up correctly even though i'm no expert.

ONT---NODE1(WAN)
NODE1(LAN)---NODE2(WAN)

Anyone else faced this issue?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought the two pack lyra trio. It works in wireless backhaul (both nodes cyan) but when plugging in the ethernet for wired backhaul i faced a strange issue.

Node 1 remains cyan which is normal. Node 2 will toggle between blue, cyan and green. I can't connect to node 2 when it is like this.

ONT---NODE1(WAN)
NODE1(LAN)---NODE2(WAN)

Both nodes already updated to same firmware ?

Although #2 node should be 2 x LAN, maybe try plugging into yellow LAN port instead ?

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ONT---NODE1(WAN)
NODE1(LAN)---NODE2(WAN)

Are your Trios in router or AP mode? And are you using Singtel?

Assuming you are not on Singtel and Trios are in router mode then follow these steps:
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951/

If you are on AP mode, follow the steps in my post above.

nox2608

Reaction score
Are your Trios in router or AP mode? And are you using Singtel?

Assuming you are not on Singtel and Trios are in router mode then follow these steps:
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951/

If you are on AP mode, follow the steps in my post above.

Router mode, using VQ. Followed the steps in the faq. After plugging in lan cable in node 2, it turns green. After that it will switch to blue, cyan then back to green. Is this light switching part of the setup process?

Otherwise, the only other logical guess is that node 2 loses wired connectivity on/off and reconfigures to wireless.

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Perhaps u can try side by side first? See if the green switches to cyan? If it doesnt then perhaps it is a wiring issue. Ive set up two other Trios in other homes and dont have any issues too.

Rizzed14

Reaction score
Router mode, using VQ. Followed the steps in the faq. After plugging in lan cable in node 2, it turns green. After that it will switch to blue, cyan then back to green. Is this light switching part of the setup process?

Otherwise, the only other logical guess is that node 2 loses wired connectivity on/off and reconfigures to wireless.

Happens for me too, albeit only once after every setup/reboot. Stays green thereafter. Have verified that it is connected via Ethernet backhaul through speed test.

Also, has anyone noticed that if the Ethernet backhaul is connected before the nodes are turned on, the 2.4GHz signal disappears on the other nodes (i.e. only broadcasting from the main node)? Both my Trios are currently on the latest firmware. Used inSSIDer to check this.

Last edited:

nox2608

Reaction score
Perhaps u can try side by side first? See if the green switches to cyan? If it doesnt then perhaps it is a wiring issue. Ive set up two other Trios in other homes and dont have any issues too.

I’ll give it a shot

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Great. Post back the results and we can learn together as well.

lolzprox

Reaction score
Hello guys, is anyone facing an issue whereby Lyra Trio master unit, doing a speedtest through LAN port, and only get speeds locked at 300+Mbps speeds?

I tried my older router AC68u, did a speedtest through LAN and got 800+Mbps.

I have a 1Gbps fiber connection. Is it my Lyra that has problems? Or is there a hidden setting?

Thanks!:s12:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, is anyone facing an issue whereby Lyra Trio master unit, doing a speedtest through LAN port, and only get speeds locked at 300+Mbps speeds?

I tried my older router AC68u, did a speedtest through LAN and got 800+Mbps.

I have a 1Gbps fiber connection. Is it my Lyra that has problems? Or is there a hidden setting?

Thanks!:s12:

If you reset and re config, does the speed return to normal ? You can also switch one of the nodes to act as the master unit to test if it could be a faulty unit.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.