4k UHD players discussion thread

ranchy

Reaction score
Just sharing with you guys.
I check with Sony about the UBP-X700, they have mentioned
they will launch it soon.

If you are thinking to buy a 4K UHD player, hold your horses.
I see I can reserve a unit or not I can forsee it will be sold out
within minutes.

Was waiting for the X700 when you share previously, but i guess i waited enough, went to get the X800 (overseas set).

Just pray nothing happens to the set as no warranty. :X

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was waiting for the X700 when you share previously, but i guess i waited enough, went to get the X800 (overseas set).

Just pray nothing happens to the set as no warranty. :X

Just careful the voltage as that set is 110V so you need stepdown transformer.

petetherock

Reaction score
Quite a few of us have bought the x800 off amazon and used it without a transformer..

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite a few of us have bought the x800 off amazon and used it without a transformer..

Isn't that model 110V? Since it is low wattage type of equipment,
unlikely to blow but may have unstable operation.

petetherock

Reaction score

The box may indicate that it's 110V, but sometimes the power section has a universal voltage.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can confirm. This guy is located in San Fran, and his unit's power supply has a 450V capacitor.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...00-denon-dvd-1940-off-brand.html#post55337292

Often, products are labelled as for a particular voltage / a particular country / a particular country's voltage for various reasons unrelated to the actual performance. Certifications is one of them, $$$ is one of them, but the most common is perhaps the connector.

This is also a good way to segregate the market, by making people scared.

If you plug a product that cannot work with 230V into 230V, it will blow regardless of how much wattage it is.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Either way the Sony UBP-X700 will be in store soon.
I just check my reservation for the unit, even the Sony staff
have confirm it will come soon. :)

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The X700 appears in the latest Sony catalogue, but it's not in the stores yet..

Probably with Sony latest Atmos soundbar and etc. will launch one short.
Already placed my reservation for the X700 hopefully
can get it. :)

Amon86

Reaction score
No Oppo 205 user here? wonder how good is the 4k upscale effect if playing 1080p bluray....will be getting one 205 sometime around june when my 4k projector arrive

petetherock

Reaction score
No Oppo 205 user here? wonder how good is the 4k upscale effect if playing 1080p bluray....will be getting one 205 sometime around june when my 4k projector arrive

The 205 is known as a solid audiophile player, but the upscaling is only as good as the 203 which is inferior to the 105/103 and the 95/93 and so on..
I assume you have a very good TV, such as a Sony Z9D? Tests elsewhere has shown that the TV chip is superior to the chip within the Oppo.

Amon86

Reaction score
The 205 is known as a solid audiophile player, but the upscaling is only as good as the 203 which is inferior to the 105/103 and the 95/93 and so on..
I assume you have a very good TV, such as a Sony Z9D? Tests elsewhere has shown that the TV chip is superior to the chip within the Oppo.

I had a 105D been using it for 2 years it does make a great difference in term of visual quality as compare to my ps4 pro playing bluray & upscaling dvd on 105D were not bad...my upcoming projector is a Sony vw360es....so needed a 4k output so thinking of 205 but it doesn't have the darbeevision like my 105D so wonder how great is the upsampling

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take note Oppo have recently announced exit from Blu ray player market.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/03/oppo-uhd-blu-ray/

As for up-scaling performance wise from 1080p.
TV upscaling is much better than player upscale features.
For your case is projector and that Sony projector does
pack quite a lot of powerful features.

Just curious do you have 4K UHD Disc?
Need not buy there is place to rent 4K UHD disc in SG.

Amon86

Reaction score
Take note Oppo have recently announced exit from Blu ray player market.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/03/oppo-uhd-blu-ray/

As for up-scaling performance wise from 1080p.
TV upscaling is much better than player upscale features.
For your case is projector and that Sony projector does
pack quite a lot of powerful features.

Just curious do you have 4K UHD Disc?
Need not buy there is place to rent 4K UHD disc in SG.

Ya i know....they are one of the best player out there sad that they are gone....as since i used their 105D would wanna keep the same thing for upgrade even is the last batch...as other like sony and stuff just don't do the same job as they do....think the next player after oppo for bluray will be cambridge audio CXUHD but they don't have xlr audio out or analog out....I will buy japanese bluray concert for UHD import if they plan to move over there....as currently new concert out is just 1080p bluray which i have alot lol

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya i know....they are one of the best player out there sad that they are gone....as since i used their 105D would wanna keep the same thing for upgrade even is the last batch...as other like sony and stuff just don't do the same job as they do....think the next player after oppo for bluray will be cambridge audio CXUHD but they don't have xlr audio out or analog out....I will buy japanese bluray concert for UHD import if they plan to move over there....as currently new concert out is just 1080p bluray which i have alot lol

Just curious why not settle for 1080p than 4K since your contents
are in 1080p?
Are you using a AV receiver or a surround processor with your blu ray player?

As in my coy, certain venues usually we use a normal blu ray
player from Sony than it is connected to a surround processor.
However it is not all places have such setup due to cost so small rooms usually we use a HDMI converter so can connect to mixer and etc.

It's very rare to find a Blu ray player with XLR except Oppo, Cambridge which even AV industry don't use due to the high cost.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.