Home Automation Enthusiasts

Bottle

Reaction score
*unable to post links*

Saw an updates from Paul Hibbert on Broadlink Global Alexa Skill Released With One Amazing Surprise!

So it's ok to buy the newest model of Broadlink RM Pro+ (Latest 2018 version)?

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Would prefer a solution that does not requires sending its signals through a private server in China

Mi Home has US and Singapore server actually.
Broadlink servers are also based in China.
Smartthings are Samsung owned servers
Alexa is Amazon based
Google Assistant is Google based

All of them are private servers depending on how you look at it

True anonymity will require you to setup your own raspberry pi based server.

Epi_curean

Reaction score
@AsusEpoxy,
Good point. My concern is not so much the privacy , but the dependency. I've read about Smartthings server lapses, but so far Alexa and Google has been steady.

Epi_curean

Reaction score
Anyone used Lutron Caseta switches here? I understand they have modules which do not need neutral wires, but not sure if they work with 220V

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Perhaps if you are adventurous enough.
Hassio in a pi with Aeotec Zigbee and Zigwave Usb module. You can still use the Aqara switches without being connected to Xiaomi's ecosystem.

papala

Reaction score
Hi , im new here
And very new to the home automation stuff

So i was looking at google home and echo
Until i decided that i need chinese convo

So i am now looking at yeelight voice assistance
But the downside is it does not support most smart plug and their xiaomi smartplug cannot support uk plug

Any idea if yeelight can support any kind of smart plug we can use here ?

So far i know doesnt support wemo or sonoff

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
@AsusEpoxy,
Good point. My concern is not so much the privacy , but the dependency. I've read about Smartthings server lapses, but so far Alexa and Google has been steady.

I think you might have misunderstood the flow
Amazon Alexa and Google assistant are basically services that allow you to do HA by interacting with other services. Their products such as the Echo or Home speakers are not control hubs, they do not directly control the devices which a hub does. They talk via the open API (for eg Smartthings) to get devices connected through the Smartthings hub to achieve a desired action.

I am sure there are alternative zigbee switches, but cost wise will be much higher, you will essentially be procuring zigbee switches with unknown popularity and support. Same goes for z-wave switches, what with their complicated region frequencies is making things even more difficult.

233mmx

Reaction score
Mi Home has US and Singapore server actually.
Broadlink servers are also based in China.
Smartthings are Samsung owned servers
Alexa is Amazon based
Google Assistant is Google based

All of them are private servers depending on how you look at it

True anonymity will require you to setup your own raspberry pi based server.

I observed the Alexa HA skills that I tried (eWelink, broadlink) are routed thru their servers (likely in China) and I've encountered errors probably due to server down.

Somehow I still prefer using RM plugin (like a local server) which was essentially a workaround before the Alexa skills were available but now has proven to be more reliable than the actual skills themselves

Just my 2cts opinion

233mmx

Reaction score
*unable to post links*

Saw an updates from Paul Hibbert on Broadlink Global Alexa Skill Released With One Amazing Surprise!

So it's ok to buy the newest model of Broadlink RM Pro+ (Latest 2018 version)?

Paul mentioned both IR and RF devices should work. Maybe read the video comments to see if others have tried and tested as such. I am skeptical because RF functionality was apparently missing from the latest RM pro models or locked down in the firmware.

YANGKEE72

Reaction score
Hi all

I preparing my hdb flat to be elderly friendly

Anyone can assist to automate the whole fiat for 2 k🤩

Anyone can help

Epi_curean

Reaction score
I observed the Alexa HA skills that I tried (eWelink, broadlink) are routed thru their servers (likely in China) and I've encountered errors probably due to server down.

Somehow I still prefer using RM plugin (like a local server) which was essentially a workaround before the Alexa skills were available but now has proven to be more reliable than the actual skills themselves

Just my 2cts opinion

This is exactly what I meant

btw, smartthings hub model STH-ETH-200. Is this a EU or Singapore model? what is the z wave frequency for it?

Last edited:

Labbit

Reaction score
Anybody try before another brand ones? I recently know a company who called automate asia. They always have workshop to teach ppl about smart home stuff. I read it from here :
https://www.renotalk.com/forum/forum/126-home-automation-smart-homes-technology/

Very helpful guys. Got some devices from them.

Current setup
1X Fibaro HCL
3X Fibaro Motion sensors
4X Fibaro Door/Windows sensors
1X Fibaro Smoke sensor
2X Fibaro Roller Shutters II
1X Raspberry Pi3B+
1X Amazon Echo
4X Amazon Echo Dots
1X Samsung P728
1X Samsung SHP-DS705
MCOHome wall switches

Last edited:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score

Just my 2cts opinion

therein lies a conundrum which I have faced. Up till now no good solution actually. :s22:

I went broadlink and discovered rf433mhz very easy to snoop.
Went Xiaomi and theirs is still closed ecosystem
Smartthings and they are pricey.

For me i have spent more on Xiaomi because they are the most complete to date. You can get almost anything under their ecosystem.Locks,lights,curtains,switches. You name it, they have it at a price and design that's friendly for all. Their proprietary zigbee doesn't adhere to Zigbee Standards, but at least still can connect to Smartthings with the appropriate device handler. I am fervently waiting for them to open their API for integration with Alexa/ Google home. Once that happens i believe they will be the leader in HA.

I have all 3 systems now and none are perfect. Personally for me, the next step is the raspberry pi with Hassio to bridge them all together.

233mmx

Reaction score
therein lies a conundrum which I have faced. Up till now no good solution actually. :s22:

I went broadlink and discovered rf433mhz very easy to snoop.
Went Xiaomi and theirs is still closed ecosystem
Smartthings and they are pricey.

For me i have spent more on Xiaomi because they are the most complete to date. You can get almost anything under their ecosystem.Locks,lights,curtains,switches. You name it, they have it at a price and design that's friendly for all. Their proprietary zigbee doesn't adhere to Zigbee Standards, but at least still can connect to Smartthings with the appropriate device handler. I am fervently waiting for them to open their API for integration with Alexa/ Google home. Once that happens i believe they will be the leader in HA.

I have all 3 systems now and none are perfect. Personally for me, the next step is the raspberry pi with Hassio to bridge them all together.

Too many ecosystems, just like mobile payments and rental bikes. The market is just too fragmented and can never really take off.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.