Norway 2 weeks too much?

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its friendly when using. but when you go back and check your bill, the exchange rate is not too friendly :)

Is the same. If u change too much excess and u need to sell back. The money changer also buy back much worst than the bank rate or if not have to force yourself to spend it so that u won't lose out the rate ?? Of course best thing happens is the rate increase when u back.

Some more Scandinavian currencies are not really "common" here unlike euro and pounds.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But many say cash is not accepted widely in
these Northern European countries.

Japanese prefers cash.

That is wrong.

Even the street vendor at Helsinki selling magnet also accept credit card.

I do agree about Japanese still prefer cash.

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read it online says the package is just a set of transport tickets done for you.
Basically just DIY & your wallet would thank you.

I diyed it, tink save agar 60 u can only prebook 2 train 1 ferry the rest u buy onto spot, dun wry abt the bus cuz there is only 1 bus for nutshell they will wait for tourist de

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The local do not lose any on CC transactions but points collected.

Tourists suffer because of exchange lossses .

That is wrong.
Even the street vendor at Helsinki selling magnet also accept credit card.

I do agree about Japanese still prefer cash.

tortoise18

Banned
Reaction score
The flight bergen to leknes damn ex. Now I just need to book the cruise from svolvaer to tromso. Hurthigruten but still no news. Sian.

Bad kids

Reaction score
I was in Longyearbyen in March.
Interesting place.
Although the same activities can be done in other places. But LYR was quite amazing place to visit. Most activities there were just total whiteout. There wasn’t any trees there.
I took a boat out, and saw walrus and arctic fox, didn’t see any polar bear. Although there were a few (dead one) in LYR town(small).

anyone been to Svalbard?

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was in Longyearbyen in March.
Interesting place.
Although the same activities can be done in other places. But LYR was quite amazing place to visit. Most activities there were just total whiteout. There wasn’t any trees there.
I took a boat out, and saw walrus and arctic fox, didn’t see any polar bear. Although there were a few (dead one) in LYR town(small).

how was it? was thinking of visiting in end May. did you stay in the town of longyearbyen or outside of it? the outskirts of longyearbyen i see will be at least 2km apart. trying to find accommodation that are about S$150 in town. seems that only Norwegian Air or SAS flies there, tickets are not cheap, ranging from S$400 to S$500. as for the activities, just sign up at the hotel front desk one day before can already? did you see any asian people there?

Bad kids

Reaction score
Hmm.. it was pretty cold, I caught the chill and got sick, although I was prepared.
Stay at Svalbard Hotell (I think they changed the hotel name), it was right in the city centre. And it came with reasonable breakfast.
You can try Mary Ann Polarig, I think the price is quite okay. But should be shared toilet. Or you can try Airbnb, one of which is very close to Radisson Blue.
The are some tickets below $200/- depend on the day you are traveling. Of course, the expensive ticket range between $400 - $500/- one way.
Yes, you can sign up there. But I pre-arranged it, and made payment in advance.
There were a China girl and a Korean girl, they were on their own. There were also Indian. I met some Norwegian holidaying there, and mostly were Caucasian.

how was it? was thinking of visiting in end May. did you stay in the town of longyearbyen or outside of it? the outskirts of longyearbyen i see will be at least 2km apart. trying to find accommodation that are about S$150 in town. seems that only Norwegian Air or SAS flies there, tickets are not cheap, ranging from S$400 to S$500. as for the activities, just sign up at the hotel front desk one day before can already? did you see any asian people there?

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. it was pretty cold, I caught the chill and got sick, although I was prepared.
Stay at Svalbard Hotell (I think they changed the hotel name), it was right in the city centre. And it came with reasonable breakfast.
You can try Mary Ann Polarig, I think the price is quite okay. But should be shared toilet. Or you can try Airbnb, one of which is very close to Radisson Blue.
The are some tickets below $200/- depend on the day you are traveling. Of course, the expensive ticket range between $400 - $500/- one way.
Yes, you can sign up there. But I pre-arranged it, and made payment in advance.
There were a China girl and a Korean girl, they were on their own. There were also Indian. I met some Norwegian holidaying there, and mostly were Caucasian.
I see Svalbard Hotell it's about $150 for the basic room. Price seems good. Did you managed to see the seed vault? I see some of their one day cruise quite expensive, about $300 region and upwards. As for meals, possible to buy all three meals there? It's more pricey than Oslo right? Some places I went, if lucky, can buy breakfast and lunch. Dinner sure have to cook cause all shops closed late afternoon.

Bad kids

Reaction score
I booked about $4xx/night, include breakfast, not sure about low season. We ‘passes by’ the SeedVault, the guide pointed to us the direction, and it’s not visible to the eyes. So it’s a No see.
The day cruise was quite alright, it provide lunch as well.
I brought some noodle cups there as well, and pre-packed some goodies, like bakwa etc.
You can eat at the cafe, restaurant there, price are rather at the high side. Unless you are staying lodge with kitchenette or bnb, then cooking should be fine. There is a coop there, quite big, and a lot of food stuff and bread too

I see Svalbard Hotell it's about $150 for the basic room. Price seems good. Did you managed to see the seed vault? I see some of their one day cruise quite expensive, about $300 region and upwards. As for meals, possible to buy all three meals there? It's more pricey than Oslo right? Some places I went, if lucky, can buy breakfast and lunch. Dinner sure have to cook cause all shops closed late afternoon.

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I booked about $4xx/night, include breakfast, not sure about low season. We ‘passes by’ the SeedVault, the guide pointed to us the direction, and it’s not visible to the eyes. So it’s a No see.
The day cruise was quite alright, it provide lunch as well.
I brought some noodle cups there as well, and pre-packed some goodies, like bakwa etc.
You can eat at the cafe, restaurant there, price are rather at the high side. Unless you are staying lodge with kitchenette or bnb, then cooking should be fine. There is a coop there, quite big, and a lot of food stuff and bread too
That's steep! Did you take the cruise to Pyramiden or to some glacier? Am I right to say that tours will usually provide pick up and drop off at accommodation?

Didn't know can bring bak kwa. Cause some customs have issues with people bringing overseas food to their country.

Found this:
https://www.toll.no/en/goods/food/regulations-for-meat-milk-cheese-and-other-foods/

Seems that it's okay to bring certain type of local food to Norway.

Bad kids

Reaction score
Took the Pyramiden cruise but somehow they did berth at pyramiden, didn’t ask why.
The boat can break ice, so there was a strip where I video the ice breaking.
Yes, they will pick and drop from most hotel. In case you stay in Airbnb, you will need to make your way to the hotel pickup point.

Haha, most of my europe trips, I will bring and pack in a convenient box for snacking. So far the last 3 trips to Scandinavia, there is no issue at all. As far as i know, only Australia are more stringent in food items.

That's steep! Did you take the cruise to Pyramiden or to some glacier? Am I right to say that tours will usually provide pick up and drop off at accommodation?

Didn't know can bring bak kwa. Cause some customs have issues with people bringing overseas food to their country.

Found this:
https://www.toll.no/en/goods/food/regulations-for-meat-milk-cheese-and-other-foods/

Seems that it's okay to bring certain type of local food to Norway.

Last edited:

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Took the Pyramiden cruise but somehow they did berth at pyramiden, didn’t ask why.
The boat can break ice, so there was a strip where I video the ice breaking.
Yes, they will pick and drop from most hotel. In case you stay in Airbnb, you will need to make your way to the hotel pickup point.

Haha, most of my europe trips, I will bring and pack in a convenient box for snacking. So far the last 3 trips to Scandinavia, there is no issue at all. As far as i know, only Australia are more stringent in food items.
Ah. That's good. Cause companies will have a disclaimer to say that they wouldn't berth if too got too much ice or stuff, and there wouldn't be any refund. They will instead sail around and do other sight seeing. Did you do a full day or half day cruise?

Bad kids

Reaction score
Left from hotel about 8am, return almost 5pm. So it's probably full day. BBQ lunch on board, there were salmon, pork ribs and pinky whale meat.

Ah. That's good. Cause companies will have a disclaimer to say that they wouldn't berth if too got too much ice or stuff, and there wouldn't be any refund. They will instead sail around and do other sight seeing. Did you do a full day or half day cruise?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.