Home Automation Enthusiasts

layzibum22

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How you guys install the Yeelight Ceiling? As in where to "install" the earth wire?

shacboi

Reaction score
haha,have fun!!!

Hi Asus Epoxy, yest my august 3rd gen lock arrived. Installed and performance is great. Quite responsive, 1sec lock or unlock. But the motor abit noisy... Prefer it to b quieter. Haha... But i take the noise as indication dat lock is in operation. Size wise abit bulky... But i hav no issue, is wife's comment. Haha

Tonight will link it up wit Alexa and hp google-assistant and try.

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Asus Epoxy, yest my august 3rd gen lock arrived. Installed and performance is great. Quite responsive, 1sec lock or unlock. But the motor abit noisy... Prefer it to b quieter. Haha... But i take the noise as indication dat lock is in operation. Size wise abit bulky... But i hav no issue, is wife's comment. Haha

Tonight will link it up wit Alexa and hp google-assistant and try.

cool! let me know how the proximity unlock works for you!

shacboi

Reaction score
AUGUST Smart Lock 3rd Gen

cool! let me know how the proximity unlock works for you!

Hi AsusEpoxy & other people interested in AUGUST smart lock 3rd Gen.

I tried the Auto-Unlock feature (Proximity), Seems like it requires Bluetooth & Google-Location to be ON in our mobile phones, within 200metres, it will start sensing and upon within 2 to 3 metres away from the door lock only then it will engage the unlock operation. Need more tries to confirm the behaviour. haha :s13:

I also uses the Auto-Lock Instant feature with DoorSense, the moment I shut my wooden door close, it will just locked the door already. So far this works perfectly.

Updates:
tried the proximity for few days, so far so good, walk to door.. within 1-2m from door can hear the motor operation unlocking, wife kind of impressed.

However, the thing is... leaving your Bluetooth & Location on might be battery consuming, therefore I will off both of them most of the day, only when on the way home then I will activate Bluetooth & location, plus opening the app and put hp back into pocket so that reach door the lock will unlock by itself.

So instead of taking key out at door and tries to open, i now need to do some hp config before reach home.... so if u dun mind, it is still does it job well. Just different way you may want to 'open' your door.

Last edited:

sck2820

Reaction score
Hi AsusEpoxy,

Understand you managed to link the Xiaomi Aqara Zigbee switches with Samsung SmartThings hub. Any stable handlers you can recommend?

Did you manage to use Alexa/Google assistance to turn on the aqara switches? I don’t think the default Xiaomi gateway is able to integrate well with Amazon Echo (my personal experience).

Thanks in advance!

US Z Wave products can't handle 220v, but i don't intend to use US Z Wave products that use AC current.

Light switches are Xiaomi Zigbee (which although doesnt comply with Zigbee HA standards with suitable DH) can be linked to Smartthings.

My Wall plugs are Sonoff based wifi power stripe with native support for Google Assistant / Amazon Alexa

The rest are direct wifi based products who don't require a hub.

Z Wave sensors and switches are expensive, so there's no incentive to switch to them for me

Jiraya

Master Member
Reaction score
Very helpful guys. Got some devices from them.

Current setup
1X Fibaro HCL
3X Fibaro Motion sensors
4X Fibaro Door/Windows sensors
1X Fibaro Smoke sensor
2X Fibaro Roller Shutters II
1X Raspberry Pi3B+
1X Amazon Echo
4X Amazon Echo Dots
1X Samsung P728
1X Samsung SHP-DS705
MCOHome wall switches
How are you using your echo and echo dots?

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi AsusEpoxy,

Understand you managed to link the Xiaomi Aqara Zigbee switches with Samsung SmartThings hub. Any stable handlers you can recommend?

Did you manage to use Alexa/Google assistance to turn on the aqara switches? I don’t think the default Xiaomi gateway is able to integrate well with Amazon Echo (my personal experience).

Thanks in advance!

the handlers are about the same actually. however if u have the patience, save yourself the trouble ba, Xiaomi announcing upcoming support for Alexa and Homekit soon

sck2820

Reaction score
Thanks AsusEpoxy,

Thanks so much. I will try out the different handlers for now and wait for Xiaomi to officially support Alexa.

the handlers are about the same actually. however if u have the patience, save yourself the trouble ba, Xiaomi announcing upcoming support for Alexa and Homekit soon

hexanol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share, dabbling a little bit on home automation since I just got the Google Home.. I've bought the broadlink RM pro+ to control my IR and RF devices but found the integration with Google Home a bit lacking. So i've used my raspberry pi and together with Home Assistant io, converted it into a smart hub to sync with google home. Since HA is open source, and quite customizable, managed to do a few things like scripts and better integration with my google home.

saintock

Reaction score
Need some advise. I have google home, harmony elite and Starhub box(cisco 4856dvb).

The TV and scv box is added to harmony already. How can i voice control to change channel? i cant get google to change tv channel. but i can on off the tv. I saw my friend's config with alexa and it work very easily

233mmx

Reaction score
It's great to see more home automation enthusiasts coming on board especially after Google Home officially launched in SG. The features set will only get better and better. Just hope Google doesn't geolock their features like Amazon does with Alexa.

Hope to see more GH enthusiasts coming on board to help the others out. I've only gone so far as to integrate Google search on my AA :s13:

233mmx

Reaction score

For broadlink rm pro users, just to share my recent experience when my xiaomi mi box 'up the lorry' and refused to boot up anymore after about 1 year.

Was lucky that I did backup the devices, codes and macros to my phone using the rm plugin app's share data function. After setting up the new Android box was able to restore the abovementioned without much issues.

Personally I've not good experiences with xiaomi products, they dun last long under me :s27:

Anyone needing an Android setup box can consider Mecool M8S Pro L. 3gb ram, 32gb storage, bluetooth remote with Google Assistant built-in :love:

Last edited:

Aditshar

Reaction score
In my opinion Google Home is an extension of Google Assistant. There are quite a no. of ways to choose for home automation and how intensive you want to integrate to your home. With every new updates, there will bound to have compatibility and stablity issues.

My current setup is using broadlink TC2 switches, RM pro/RM mini, vstacam ipcam, google home devices, nvidia shield tv devices and yamaha musiccast devices.

There are hiccups once in a while during app updates and all but overall experiences, it was good.

It's great to see more home automation enthusiasts coming on board especially after Google Home officially launched in SG. The features set will only get better and better. Just hope Google doesn't geolock their features like Amazon does with Alexa.

Hope to see more GH enthusiasts coming on board to help the others out. I've only gone so far as to integrate Google search on my AA :s13:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score

yeah! love the knowledge sharing here

saintock

Reaction score
So anyone here manage to use google home and harmony to get the scv box to select individual channel? please advise. thanks

"ok google,ask harmony change TV channel 501''... i will get the reply cant find the activities. But i can get harmony to switch on/off TV and cable.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.