Car Battery

limpingsim98

Reaction score
Came across a battery article by SgCarMart. It explains well the different types of battery in the market today. Normal Maintenance Free vs AGM vs EFB type.

Have a read guys!

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/events_features.php?AID=3534

Got coupon code too! :s13:

Some concept is wrong example: AGMs and EFBs have thicker internal plates than maintenance-free.

This means better is good for higher discard current. But not necessary means longer battery life.

Thinker plate means lower internal resistance and higher discharge current capability. As it is thick, it can build up chemical deposited quicker too and life spam may be shorter.

Come to the end is always use the recommended capacity and model designed for your car. Especially now a day, many cars has smart charging electronics build in. These circuit is design and tuned to specific capacity type.

http://www.sure-power.com/2014/01/flooded-vs-sealed-rechargeable-batteries/

Last edited:

limpingsim98

Reaction score
This is a paid write-up aka advertisement.

www.google.com got more unbiased and detailed information

https://www.rotronicsbms.com/battery-tips/what-you-need-to-know-about-efbs-enhanced-flooded-batteries/

Efb are just a enhanced version of Gel cell battery way below the AGM grade.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

You are right. Is basically a advertisement.

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From experience, most batteries these days will last 2 years before neeeding a replacement. After 2-3 incidents where I’ve had to jump start my car because of suddenly battery failure over the years, I now change my batteries at the 2 year mark (also recommended by a few workshops I’ve frequented over the years).

If you need to TOP up, use distilled water (available from petrol stations)

hachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I alway change battery yearly, and sell of the second hand one. So it cost me $30-40 for battery per year and treat it as maintenance item.
Battery less than a year still look very good, and also good for those who want to scrap their ride and tide them over. Win win.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
I alway change battery yearly, and sell of the second hand one. So it cost me $30-40 for battery per year and treat it as maintenance item.
Battery less than a year still look very good, and also good for those who want to scrap their ride and tide them over. Win win.

How much can you sell for?

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Makes sense. Where do u trade in? How much is the trade in? How much for a new batt?

hachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New one $85 for my ride, sold of the old one $50. Charged and ready to use. Don't need to trade in, go thru carousell.
Other battery models maybe different.

liquidh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What’s the capacity of your battery?

New one $85 for my ride, sold of the old one $50. Charged and ready to use. Don't need to trade in, go thru carousell.
Other battery models maybe different.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maintenance free battery need to top up??? what battery are you using?

I am using Yuasa (think it has a new name, Japan made) one. Just need to remove the sticker and you can do the top up. Some battery is sealed with plastic cap and you cannot remove it.

If your car use AGM battery, then you cannot open it as AGM battery do not allow top up. This happen to my friend new car using AGM battery (factory). And here is the warning in the manual in case of changing new battery:

-Ensure an AGM battery is fitted.
-In all cases, an AGM battery must be installed and registered in the vehicle for the ISG function to work perfectly.
-ISG system’s stabilization may take 4 hours after new battery installation.
-ISG function is operates about 4 hours later and 2 times cranking by user.
-But first 25 times, the ISG function can operates regardless of ISG system stability for ISG function operating check.

Do not open the AGM battery.
The AGM battery must not be opened under any circumstances
as the introduction of oxygen from the air will cause the battery to lose
its chemical equilibrium and rendered non-operational.

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From experience, most batteries these days will last 2 years before neeeding a replacement. After 2-3 incidents where I’ve had to jump start my car because of suddenly battery failure over the years, I now change my batteries at the 2 year mark (also recommended by a few workshops I’ve frequented over the years).

If you need to TOP up, use distilled water (available from petrol stations)

Yes correct. Use only distilled water. And do not over fill.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much can you sell for?

I got it from the company few month before my old car went for scrap (went to ask procedures and document need to prepared). They sell it at $35 (55A type for Honda Civic). From the date printed on battery, is close to one year old. Guess they took it out from those car went for scrapping.

At the time I sent my car for scrapping. I pass/swap the battery with my friend's car.

Last edited:

hachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some drive till cannot start, some just change it as preventative maintenence.

gtreds

Master Member
Reaction score
Depends on your luck,my previous Amaron last 3years and when i changed to a brand that starts with P because i called for emergency service and the guy didn't have Amaron,the battery only lasted 11 months and went flat because it was leaking and the guy didn't want to cover my warranty.

I jumpstart my car via a nice friend and change to a Amaron.Tried and trusted brand

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010 using GAGT

hachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agreed, also used Amaron battery for the past 5 years. No issue.

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about adding 5% acid water?

Don't need acid.
https://youtu.be/3eOXR1GnQN0
I would suggest to add battery water to those completely seal battery as difficult to seal it back. Some brand only sealed with tape as is best to top up when needed.

Last edited:

funky05

Reaction score
13.11 v
Resistance 07.88
Life 40%

My car battery reading.. time for change?

weeza77

Reaction score
Depends on your luck,my previous Amaron last 3years and when i changed to a brand that starts with P because i called for emergency service and the guy didn't have Amaron,the battery only lasted 11 months and went flat because it was leaking and the guy didn't want to cover my warranty.

I jumpstart my car via a nice friend and change to a Amaron.Tried and trusted brand

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010 using GAGT

Post the emergency guy name so we can avoid in the future..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.