Samsung Pay for transit (Tap and Go)

Dingding6

Reaction score
NFC controller for s9

NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ:NXPI) today unveiled its new PN80T embedded Secure Element (SE) and NFC solution. It is the Industry’s first 40nm SE and is designed to ease development and implementation of an extended range of secure applications for any platform including smartphones, wearables, and the Internet of Things (IoT). The innovative chip combines best-in-class RF performance, exceptional flexibility in NFC antenna design and state-of-the-art secure element performance, which results in fast transaction times and field updates – consequently leading to better end-user experiences.

controller is just controller, what you need to look for is the antenna, for Samsung Phone, mostly it is together with the wireless charging pad....round antenna mostly is wireless charging, square 1 is NFC antenna.

for Gear S3, it is an inductor

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
NFC controller for s9

NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ:NXPI) today unveiled its new PN80T embedded Secure Element (SE) and NFC solution. It is the Industry’s first 40nm SE and is designed to ease development and implementation of an extended range of secure applications for any platform including smartphones, wearables, and the Internet of Things (IoT). The innovative chip combines best-in-class RF performance, exceptional flexibility in NFC antenna design and state-of-the-art secure element performance, which results in fast transaction times and field updates – consequently leading to better end-user experiences.

NFC controller is not the NFC antenna. Controller != antenna. No point quoting an entire paragraph if it is entirely wrong.

The wireless charging pad in the back of the device has the nfc antenna integrated into it.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NFC controller for s9

UHgY4MnCukkODJUr.large

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S9%2B+Teardown/104308

I'll be showing you where the NFC controller is embedded on the mother board, circled in orange (PN80T). Its the same for S9 too. Controller might be different for other models but its definitely not embedded on the antenna module.

NFC/MST/Wireless Charging module, same for note 8, S8 series, S9 series:
yqGBAhRYiUnmjIDR.large

NFC area and MST area, same for s8 series, s9, note 8:
Galaxy_s9_layout_3_back_s9_plus.jpg

As you can see above, and evidenced by the NFC/wireless charging/MST module, the MST is at the camera portion while NFC is below the finger sensor(for s9 series).

Previously i mentioned the NFC area is at the top, which is unclear and is now known to be for MST usage only. Tested with flashpay card didn't work at top portion whereas card can be read below the finger print sensor. Tested top portion again MST terminal, it is working faster than before. Therefore I believe the MST portion is indeed at the camera portion.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
today is my 4th working day, 6 days, and i got no response from transitlink as of now.....

everything transitlink with me is slow =/

BTW, how you become a Samsung connections member??? by invitation from Samsung?

Saturday and sunday are not working days for transitlink HQ.

The processing time is dependent on when your charge is finalised (with 2 green arrows). Estimated value recorded cannot be refunded one.

If you think they might have missed out, you can submit again. Try not to submit the claim when the trip is not finalised or hasn't appeared on your statement yet. Statement is always updated as of the trip taken the previous day, regardless of working day or not..

Dingding6

Reaction score
Saturday and sunday are not working days for transitlink HQ.

The processing time is dependent on when your charge is finalised (with 2 green arrows). Estimated value recorded cannot be refunded one.

If you think they might have missed out, you can submit again. Try not to submit the claim when the trip is not finalised or hasn't appeared on your statement yet. Statement is always updated as of the trip taken the previous day, regardless of working day or not..

i cannot submit claim until the 2 green arrow, so yeah.....it's been 4 days since i submit...

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i cannot submit claim until the 2 green arrow, so yeah.....it's been 4 days since i submit...

you can still bypass the submit claim by selecting any existing trip, then augment the date and time and other inputs. My experience is that, they tend to skip your request and close it conveniently the moment they see the charge is not finalised. Whereas for ezlink or flashpay trips, they can do it instantly..

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UHgY4MnCukkODJUr.large

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S9%2B+Teardown/104308

I'll be showing you where the NFC controller is embedded on the mother board, circled in orange (PN80T). Its the same for S9 too. Controller might be different for other models but its definitely not embedded on the antenna module.

NFC/MST/Wireless Charging module, same for note 8, S8 series, S9 series:
yqGBAhRYiUnmjIDR.large

NFC area and MST area, same for s8 series, s9, note 8:
Galaxy_s9_layout_3_back_s9_plus.jpg

As you can see above, and evidenced by the NFC/wireless charging/MST module, the MST is at the camera portion while NFC is below the finger sensor(for s9 series).

Previously i mentioned the NFC area is at the top, which is unclear and is now known to be for MST usage only. Tested with flashpay card didn't work at top portion whereas card can be read below the finger print sensor. Tested top portion again MST terminal, it is working faster than before. Therefore I believe the MST portion is indeed at the camera portion.

Nice nice. So now the question would be does the gantry use NFC or MST.
I guess it'll be NFC because my pixel 2 didn't have mst and it worked just fine. So far for the s9, it's been a much less pleasant experience tapping gantries. And it definitely takes longer as well. Perhaps the gantry sense both NFC and MST which is the reason why it's so?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess it'll be NFC because my pixel 2 didn't have mst and it worked just fine. So far for the s9, it's been a much less pleasant experience tapping gantries. And it definitely takes longer as well. Perhaps the gantry sense both NFC and MST which is the reason why it's so?

cannot be MST. only NFC is supported on transit.

Bus does take a longer response time than gantry. My gantry experience quite fast, probably i've held it like a cm above it..

Dingding6

Reaction score

doesn't matter, NFC receiver is design to receive specific frequency only while ignore the rest.

like renfred89 says, you probably did not aim at the hotspot.....

even i can use my Gear S3 with NFC and MST is more compact together, to tap at the gantry, sometimes less than 1s, sometimes slow or no respond.....not consistent as i cannot grasp the exact location of their reader antenna.

different MRT station, the card reader looks different.....

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cannot be MST. only NFC is supported on transit.

Bus does take a longer response time than gantry. My gantry experience quite fast, probably i've held it like a cm above it..

Yeah same. Mrt is faster than bus.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
doesn't matter, NFC receiver is design to receive specific frequency only while ignore the rest.

like renfred89 says, you probably did not aim at the hotspot.....

even i can use my Gear S3 with NFC and MST is more compact together, to tap at the gantry, sometimes less than 1s, sometimes slow or no respond.....not consistent as i cannot grasp the exact location of their reader antenna.

different MRT station, the card reader looks different.....

ya, DTL always give me error one, worse is no response while my phone has a response. :p

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dingding6

Reaction score
Lol. If I know, I would have already written a protocol for samsung and transitlink.

In about 90% of the time, card is read around 2-3s. The remaining 10% is on bus where the reader no response. No response for 5s I'll change reader already..

Lol, not asking if you know what is the time to tap...... Just asking what you would do most of the time....

5s wow..... You sure have the patient to wait that long

I bail before 3rd second to retry or switch reader:s8:

Dingding6

Reaction score
i just notice one thing using ABT, if you do alot transfer with bus, tap out doesn't seems to matter....only tap in......tap out only matter if that is your last bus trip.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.