Convert RJ11 to RJ45

itdesign

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

May I know if this can be converted to RJ45 using my existing telephone port.
Got the house in 2012 but did not lay LAN cables as trying to hide all trucking.

But recently, in order to renew SH TV, the new fibre TV has to have a LAN port in the bedroom for the console, sian....

Thus, see if the telephone jack can be converted so I dont need to do trucking.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rTI0yHFgTs9twHGP7i6lZhYRqRtUAEoB

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Your pic too low resolution to see:s22:

If there are 8 wires in each cable you can change it to rj45

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Got the house in 2012 but did not lay LAN cables as trying to hide all trucking.

But recently, in order to renew SH TV, the new fibre TV has to have a LAN port in the bedroom for the console, sian....

Yes i have done it b4. U need to find out where all your telephone port terminate then add a switch there. (The one on the right should be the termination point) To connect ethernet to the wall wiring, typically can buy your own face plate and punchdown, or add a simple ethernet jack and crimp accordingly.

itdesign

Reaction score
thanks everyone...will try get the faceplate and see online videos on how to get it connected...think should have 8 cables...

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone...will try get the faceplate and see online videos on how to get it connected...think should have 8 cables...

Nope you do not have all the complete 8 coloured wires.
If you are referring to the LEFT faceplate.

Even if you can do it, it will be up to 100Mbps.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Base on your picture, you are still on those 8 wires type of telephone cable (ie not even cat 5). Same case as my house. 10M speed is not a problem and has possibility to go 100M. But if ou want to get into Gb speed, chances is slim.

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Base on your picture, you are still on those 8 wires type of telephone cable (ie not even cat 5). Same case as my house. 10M speed is not a problem and has possibility to go 100M. But if ou want to get into Gb speed, chances is slim.
No. 8 wires is gigabit. But also depends on run length in the wall. Those cables that u see in the wall are usually cat5e.

alvinym

Reaction score
I recall reading from somewhere that HDBs from 2012+/- comes with CAT6, structure cabling.

Based on this blog post (picture of the wall port), the colors of the cable looks similar to what TS had linked, though please check properly to ensure there are 4 pairs (or 8 individual) wires. The linked blog had basically spelled out what is required.

http://www.patnotebook.com/bto-networking-singapore/

update: Best option is to use LAN cables. Else, an alternative is to use MoCA setup to utilise existing coaxial cables & ports.

Last edited:

itdesign

Reaction score
will have to take a better picture tonight and see, there should have 8 cables, but not sure if its at least CAT5E or not.

If im not mistaken, the cable itself dont write anything on it, thus very hard to determine that.

In case of only 100mbps, not sure if enough for fibre TV.

alvinym

Reaction score
will have to take a better picture tonight and see, there should have 8 cables, but not sure if its at least CAT5E or not.

If im not mistaken, the cable itself dont write anything on it, thus very hard to determine that.

All ethernet cable are likely labelled, some part of a standard I think. Sometimes have to pull the cable further out to check. Actually, cat5e or cat6 doesnt matter as both supports 1gbps (assuming mainstream fiber broadband is subscribed).

Alternatively, take a closer clear pic of the cable's internal wire and also a pic of your utility box to check the below
i-H72wL4n-L.jpg

You could read on below posts for more info:
1. http://www.patnotebook.com/bto-networking-singapore/
2. New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

Lastly, 100mbps should be fine for all general streaming.
source> https://www.lifewire.com/internet-speed-requirements-for-movie-viewing-1847401

Last edited:

miloaisdino

Reaction score
My 19year old condo rj11 oso use cat5e, also with the small panel where the cables end. Inside is usually connected for telephone service but u can crimp your own ethernet jacks. Speedwise can negotiate gigabit but speed is only around 700-800mbps. If its singtel miotv, only 50mbps link is required
HTngqeJ.jpg

Cheap and easy way. For the jacks in the room i simply broke a hole in the telephone faceplate and crimped an ethernet jack. Then i attached simple female to female ethernet connectors..
WObc8oo.jpg

Last edited:

pinkahlao

Reaction score
Streaming 4K requires 25Mbps. 100Mbps is more than enough.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.