Citibank Maxigain Savings Account

vince123123

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, at least this is more useful than the wet blanket comments that have absolutely no analytical substance.

The implications of the term you have highlighted also means that the $135k topup must happen on the last day of the 12th month, and not the 1st day of the 13th month.

Strangely though, I did the topup on the 2nd day of the 13th month (2nd Apr) and got the full interest, bonus and all.

Nope, it doesn't as the lowest balance is 15k. From the FAQ:

How is bonus interest calculated?

The Counter increases by 1 each time the Bonus Interest Rate steps up. The Bonus Interest Rate steps up in a month if the lowest balance in that month is equal to or greater than the lowest balance in the preceding month. Bonus interest is computed based on the preceding month's lowest balance and number of calendar days in the preceding month. The lowest amount of funds in your MaxiGain account at any point in time in a month shall be the "lowest balance" of that month.

TabascoSauce

Master Member
Reaction score
The second half of the strategy says that you can put the 135k into another Maxigain account so as to get the full interest on $135k during the even months.

then ur lowest balance (and thus ur interest) will jus be 15k for both acc on all months regardless of which day u transfer.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
then ur lowest balance (and thus ur interest) will jus be 15k for both acc on all months regardless of which day u transfer.

Anyway his strategy is to maximise his liquidity needs while trying to play around with the lowest balance bonus interest

Actually if really want to play around, can do it at the month 6 to 8,

($150,000x0.6%x28/365 + $15,000x0.7%x28/365)is definitely better than ($15,000x1.2%x28/365)x2

$77 vs $27

Last edited:

kehyi4

Reaction score
Yup, lowest balance will always be 15k, thus bonus interest will always be based on 15k, not 150k. This method simply does not work if the aim is to earn bonus interest on 150k

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yup, lowest balance will always be 15k, thus bonus interest will always be based on 15k, not 150k. This method simply does not work if the aim is to earn bonus interest on 150k

To earn bonus interest on $150,000, in exchange for sacrificing your $150,000 liquidity needs

compro_1975

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TMD, my 250 sign up bonus not here and I got other plans to use the money... I sign up on 3jan and promised mid apr I will get it Lor

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To earn bonus interest on $150,000, in exchange for sacrificing your $150,000 liquidity needs

pls don't judge others on how they chose to use their money. u're assuming we're stupid enough to lock up our only remaining cash into this account and hence do not enjoy 'liquid' cash when we need it.

1. some of us have more than $150k to play with and this is just one portion of it.
2. even if emergency calls and we need the $150k, it is not locked up. one can withdraw any amount and just 'reset' the counter to 6.

i don't see it as a 'sacrifice' at all.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
pls don't judge others on how they chose to use their money. u're assuming we're stupid enough to lock up our only remaining cash into this account and hence do not enjoy 'liquid' cash when we need it.

1. some of us have more than $150k to play with and this is just one portion of it.
2. even if emergency calls and we need the $150k, it is not locked up. one can withdraw any amount and just 'reset' the counter to 6.

i don't see it as a 'sacrifice' at all.

What talking you or or what drug you on??

I myself have 2 maxigain accounts, 1 account at 12 and another at 8 earning bonus interest also leh lol

And please also highlight which part of my post that say I am stupid enough to trap my excess playable fund in my 2 maxigain??

Last edited:

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What talking you or or what drug you on??

I myself have 2 maxigain accounts, 1 account at 12 and another at 8 earning bonus interest also leh lol

And please also highlight which part of my post that say I am stupid enough to trap my excess playable fund in my 2 maxigain??

no i'm not on drugs...

if you have 2 such accounts then i'm bewildered why you make such a remark (sacrificing liquidity). r u regretting or something? maybe u want to elaborate on your remark before people misinterpret the message behind your remark.

if i have that much liquid cash i would open multiple accounts too.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
no i'm not on drugs...

if you have 2 such accounts then i'm bewildered why you make such a remark (sacrificing liquidity). r u regretting or something? maybe u want to elaborate on your remark before people misinterpret the message behind your remark.

if i have that much liquid cash i would open multiple accounts too.

I think It's a mental thing. It's like 好不容易熬到 counter 12 then because u need liquidity like $5000 urgently and your counter will drop to 6 and then subsequently u need another $1000 your counter drops to 0

And there are some only have $150,000 but cannot "afford" to put in this maxigain bcos it will restrict them from using this $150,000 in other investment or needs that might come suddenly

That's why u see some just put $15,000 from counter 1 to 12, then max the $150,000 at counter 12

But come to think of it, each counter is like only $12.5 per month or $150

artemov

Reaction score
I think It's a mental thing. It's like 好不容易熬到 counter 12 then because u need liquidity like $5000 urgently and your counter will drop to 6 and then subsequently u need another $1000 your counter drops to 0

Erm ... why would the counter drop to 0 upon withdrawing another $1000?

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

And there are some only have $150,000 but cannot "afford" to put in this maxigain bcos it will restrict them from using this $150,000 in other investment or needs that might come suddenly

That's why u see some just put $15,000 from counter 1 to 12, then max the $150,000 at counter 12

But come to think of it, each counter is like only $12.5 per month or $150

ok.. i think i get what you mean... sorry that i'd misinterpreted your original remark about sacrificing liquidity.

i had commented as well that this is not an account where we should dump all our liquid cash into (assuming 150k or less), if u want to take full advantage of the bonus interest. maybe if one has only 150k savings, can put in 100k to earn the bonus interest and keep 50k completely liquid elsewhere like a cimb fastsaver account (1%) or something to tide over unexpected bills.

it's all about spreading out the funds to various types of products to maximize gains, and also maintaining mobility while managing the risks of each product.

choconame

Reaction score
hi, do the sibor interest rate count only when you've 150k in your account ?
correct me if i'm wrong

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, do the sibor interest rate count only when you've 150k in your account ?
correct me if i'm wrong

The Bank shall pay you a base interest rate ("Base Interest Rate") at 80% of the 1 month Singapore Dollar Singapore Interbank Offer Rate ("1 month SIBOR") on your daily balance, up to the first S$150,000 in your MaxiGain account. For example, if 1 month SIBOR is 1% p.a., the Base Interest Rate shall be 0.8% p.a.

The 1 month SIBOR for December 2015 was 0.972% p.a. for your reference. If the 1 month SIBOR is 0% p.a. or lower, the Base Interest Rate shall be zero.

A Base Interest Rate of 0.05% p.a. shall apply to balances in your MaxiGain account in excess of S$150,000.

Nicbear

Reaction score
Changed of Min. Sum?

Talked to a CSO a few days ago, he said that Citibank going to change the min. sum to a higher amount (50k-70k?) around June/July? Anyone to verify? :s22:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Talked to a CSO a few days ago, he said that Citibank going to change the min. sum to a higher amount (50k-70k?) around June/July? Anyone to verify? :s22:

For maxigain or for priority account minimum balance?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.