 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
anyone found the best spot to tap iphone or watch on mrt readers?
the readers are not rectangular, is it the center (upper part) or center (lower part)?

320x480.jpg

Montoya

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone found the best spot to tap iphone or watch on mrt readers?
the readers are not rectangular, is it the center (upper part) or center (lower part)?

320x480.jpg

Middle part around the card logo is the best location to place the phone.

Tried taking the bus earlier & none of the readers are able to read from phone / watch

Montoya

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how's the result of your trial so far?
can the samsung pay transit card work when batt is flat? hk octopus card on samsung pay can work when batt flat, i wonder how they activate the nfc when no batt.

There are still a few percent of battery reserves. Probably that’s what’s keeping the nfc alive.

Montoya

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried it the first time round. My travel routes usually don’t involve bus transfer.

Apple Pay somehow scan until it show an exclamation mark. More than 2 weeks since I’ve last registered so don’t get why it doesn’t work.

Just curious; were your phone able to work with bus readers before?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never tried tapping when phone is off.. but for nfc ezlink, it does work even if phone is off or low batt.

Anyway back to your question, will try one day. Also, nothing will work if your battery is fully dead. Sometimes when battery is low and is unable to power up phone, it still has power to generate nfc signal..

how's the result of your trial so far?
can the samsung pay transit card work when batt is flat? hk octopus card on samsung pay can work when batt flat, i wonder how they activate the nfc when no batt.

gamma7sg

Master Member
Reaction score
when the battery drops to 5% payment is not possible through samsung pay. As the application will prompt that the device is low in power.

and what has renfred89 has said the nfc requires power to stay activated.

Never tried tapping when phone is off.. but for nfc ezlink, it does work even if phone is off or low batt.

Anyway back to your question, will try one day. Also, nothing will work if your battery is fully dead. Sometimes when battery is low and is unable to power up phone, it still has power to generate nfc signal..

Last edited:

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
registered 2 weekends ago, tried 1st time yesterday evening at Bugis DTL station, gave me error.

Can I confirm, do I need to double tap Home button so that my card appears on screen before scanning?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
registered 2 weekends ago, tried 1st time yesterday evening at Bugis DTL station, gave me error.

Can I confirm, do I need to double tap Home button so that my card appears on screen before scanning?

what is the error msg?
so your iphone auto wake up but stuck at "hold near to reader"?

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I didnt notice the error msg, only the reader turned red. Peak hour I didnt want to hold up the queue, so changed to use ny card instead.

I double tapped on my home button to have my card appears on screen before I let read scan. Not sure if this is correct? Or I no need to do anythibg just move phone nead reader when it is sleep?

what is the error msg?
so your iphone auto wake up but stuck at "hold near to reader"?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
I didnt notice the error msg, only the reader turned red. Peak hour I didnt want to hold up the queue, so changed to use ny card instead.

I double tapped on my home button to have my card appears on screen before I let read scan. Not sure if this is correct? Or I no need to do anythibg just move phone nead reader when it is sleep?

i think it's the "Card Failed" error.
today i also encountered card failed error on mrt. seems like some not-so-good readers will give card failed error more easily. this does not mean your card not supported, just reader error.
my iphone just reached the reader and it gave card failed error 2 times with 2 error beeps. re-tap also same. then i changed another gantry, it showed red light first then immediately green light with "bank card usage".

this shows that the reader's phone/watch data reading algo still very buggy. they really need to improve it to read the card data more steadily.
also when the 1st attempt failed, seems like the reader will always fail and can't recover. must change another gantry to get green light.

Dingding6

Reaction score
It seems IPhone failure rate is higher than my Gear S3 using bus

I rarely get card error, most of the time is either read within a sec, or no read at all

The only time I get card error is when if I remove my watch I think maybe to quickly

i think it's the "Card Failed" error.
today i also encountered card failed error on mrt. seems like some not-so-good readers will give card failed error more easily. this does not mean your card not supported, just reader error.
my iphone just reached the reader and it gave card failed error 2 times with 2 error beeps. re-tap also same. then i changed another gantry, it showed red light first then immediately green light with "bank card usage".

this shows that the reader's phone/watch data reading algo still very buggy. they really need to improve it to read the card data more steadily.
also when the 1st attempt failed, seems like the reader will always fail and can't recover. must change another gantry to get green light.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
It seems IPhone failure rate is higher than my Gear S3 using bus

I rarely get card error, most of the time is either read within a sec, or no read at all

The only time I get card error is when if I remove my watch I think maybe to quickly

it depends on the reader. i always use that same mrt reader everyday because it is left-most or right-most and most ppl use it.
if use those at center less ppl ones normally are good.
also cannot compare bus readers with mrt readers as they may be diff.

feel like today's error is due to the reader not able to switch between cepas and cc. the cepas reader picked up the iphone hence gave card error immediately. because credit card readers normally have half a sec delay, so seems like cc reader is not working in this case.

also we are not sure whether cepas and cc sensors are same or separate. if they are separate, the iphone need to point at the cc sensor, not cepas sensor.

Dingding6

Reaction score
it depends on the reader. i always use that same mrt reader everyday because it is left-most or right-most and most ppl use it.
if use those at center less ppl ones normally are good.
also cannot compare bus readers with mrt readers as they may be diff.

feel like today's error is due to the reader not able to switch between cepas and cc. the cepas reader picked up the iphone hence gave card error immediately. because credit card readers normally have half a sec delay, so seems like cc reader is not working in this case.

also we are not sure whether cepas and cc sensors are same or separate. if they are separate, the iphone need to point at the cc sensor, not cepas sensor.

Yes, I know the mrt and bus reader is different.

what I mean is considering bus reader need to use wireless transmission to transmit the captured card detail back to Central server for processing and still less error compare to MRT in spite of people complaining it is harder to read in bus

I doubt they future proof their MRT reader with dual antenna even before the start of ABT

CEPAS, flash pay or credit card paywave use the same NFC frequency, hence don't need to have dual antenna

NFC use inductive coupling or something like a power transformer to transmit and receive data

In another word, if you can find their exact antenna location, tap there, you would have higher and faster rate of success read

If you read the FAQ again, your phone NFC antenna must align correctly with the card reader antenna.

EroNasubi

Reaction score
So complicated.. This mobile abt is suppose to help us not to stress us.. 😫 everytime I walk past the gate I am forced to pay unnecessary attention like check if my finger moist because of sweating or not, checking touch id working or not, have to choose less crowded gate (preferably the left or right most one) in case I need to repeat scanning etc.. And even with all precaution above, sometimes it STILL failed.
Haiyo, really tempted to go back using card, so hassle free compared to this..

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Yes, I know the mrt and bus reader is different.

what I mean is considering bus reader need to use wireless transmission to transmit the captured card detail back to Central server for processing and still less error compare to MRT in spite of people complaining it is harder to read in bus

I doubt they future proof their MRT reader with dual antenna even before the start of ABT

CEPAS, flash pay or credit card paywave use the same NFC frequency, hence don't need to have dual antenna

NFC use inductive coupling or something like a power transformer to transmit and receive data

In another word, if you can find their exact antenna location, tap there, you would have higher and faster rate of success read

If you read the FAQ again, your phone NFC antenna must align correctly with the card reader antenna.

for bus, is it every card needs to contact server? that would be very slow.
i thought there should be some offline processing.
the best spot to tap iphone for mrt is center area somewhere near the card logo, as discussed few days ago. i tried and confirmed it's somewhere there. but not sure whether this only applicable for readers in good condition.

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
So complicated.. This mobile abt is suppose to help us not to stress us.. �� everytime I walk past the gate I am forced to pay unnecessary attention like check if my finger moist because of sweating or not, checking touch id working or not, have to choose less crowded gate (preferably the left or right most one) in case I need to repeat scanning etc.. And even with all precaution above, sometimes it STILL failed.
Haiyo, really tempted to go back using card, so hassle free compared to this..

After using for 2 wks, I realized that the fail rate is quite high. Make me feel kinda stress each time waiting to tap in or out in mrt or when taking bus.
I been jamming queues when exiting most of the time.

So since last Monday, I decided to revert back to use my cc liao. Although need take out card, but process is stress-less.

Dingding6

Reaction score
for bus, is it every card needs to contact server? that would be very slow.
i thought there should be some offline processing.
the best spot to tap iphone for mrt is center area somewhere near the card logo, as discussed few days ago. i tried and confirmed it's somewhere there. but not sure whether this only applicable for readers in good condition.

if offline processing, then they would need a server inside a bus which is unlikely

else how would they know your balance real time for ez-link, inside the ezlink/credit card only have antenna coil and a nfc chip, no memory to store anything.

i concur with the tap at the logo, i have more consistent successful tap there.

if only there is someone have a teardown of the bus card reader, i would easily know where to tap....

datalock

Reaction score
After using for 2 wks, I realized that the fail rate is quite high. Make me feel kinda stress each time waiting to tap in or out in mrt or when taking bus.
I been jamming queues when exiting most of the time.

So since last Monday, I decided to revert back to use my cc liao. Although need take out card, but process is stress-less.

Same here. The strange thing is when I pay merchants using Apple Pay, the response is split second. Almost immediate. I’ve not been successful at bus or MRT gantries.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.