 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

Slavor

Reaction score
I've also been wondering about that, but I'm guessing that whatever sensors the bus and mrt use are older than the new paywave/paypass terminals use. As it stands, I'm avoiding using mobile on buses because the detection is so bad.

Same here. The strange thing is when I pay merchants using Apple Pay, the response is split second. Almost immediate. I’ve not been successful at bus or MRT gantries.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
if offline processing, then they would need a server inside a bus which is unlikely

else how would they know your balance real time for ez-link, inside the ezlink/credit card only have antenna coil and a nfc chip, no memory to store anything.

i concur with the tap at the logo, i have more consistent successful tap there.

if only there is someone have a teardown of the bus card reader, i would easily know where to tap....

for ezlink/flashpay prepaid cards, it's offline processing.
the card has memory to store card balance. u can use android apps to tap flashpay and read card balance and transactions.

these 2 days something wrong with mrt readers.
today i tapped at the logo area and iphone got a tick meaning data is sent out successfully, then the mrt reader showed red light card failed. i tapped again and it's same... need to reactivate apple pay again.
after changing another mrt gantry then successful.
yesterday card failed without a tick, today card failed with a tick. 2 diff gantries.

now the conclusion is, not only the data reading and decoding part got problem, even the backend processing also got prob. looks like not all mrt readers are sync up for mobile processing. if that's the case, really have to stop using mobile until their next round of upgrades.

Dingding6

Reaction score
for ezlink/flashpay prepaid cards, it's offline processing.
the card has memory to store card balance. u can use android apps to tap flashpay and read card balance and transactions.

these 2 days something wrong with mrt readers.
today i tapped at the logo area and iphone got a tick meaning data is sent out successfully, then the mrt reader showed red light card failed. i tapped again and it's same... need to reactivate apple pay again.
after changing another mrt gantry then successful.
yesterday card failed without a tick, today card failed with a tick. 2 diff gantries.

now the conclusion is, not only the data reading and decoding part got problem, even the backend processing also got prob. looks like not all mrt readers are sync up for mobile processing. if that's the case, really have to stop using mobile until their next round of upgrades.

Yes you were correct, ezlink can read offline

But I still doubt they do process offline as it would attract fraud

I think maybe that tap at logo portion might not be suitable for iphone as different phone different antenna coil design

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
I think maybe that tap at logo portion might not be suitable for iphone as different phone different antenna coil design

the iphone showed a tick, meaning it sensed that the mrt reader has received all the data correctly. so tapping at that area is correct.
the prob is at the reader. maybe that area signal strong so data rate is high, the reader can't control the reading speed properly. or maybe there are some lost packets not handled properly. or maybe the data is decoded correctly, but bank rejected the transaction etc.
all these data reading issues should be able to solve in firmware.
last time when ezlink first introduced, also got a lot of error beeps on buses due to the card reader too sensitive. they took few mths to finetune it and finally no more sensitive error beeps.

for tapping area, they can put a "wave" logo at the focus point so that users know where to tap their phone/watch.
if they can label the focus point of the reader, and finetune the reader firmware, then things should get better.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Feedback feedback! Send through official channel..

the iphone showed a tick, meaning it sensed that the mrt reader has received all the data correctly. so tapping at that area is correct.
the prob is at the reader. maybe that area signal strong so data rate is high, the reader can't control the reading speed properly. or maybe there are some lost packets not handled properly. or maybe the data is decoded correctly, but bank rejected the transaction etc.
last time when ezlink first introduced, also got a lot of error beeps on buses due to the card reader too sensitive. they took few mths to finetune it and finally no more sensitive error beeps.

for tapping area, they can put a "wave" logo at the focus point so that users know where to tap their phone/watch.
if they can label the focus point of the reader, and finetune the reader firmware, then things should get better.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
Just to share some tips after a few weeks. I'm getting close to 100% success rate with this method:

The detection success rate depends on your device, and the NFC signal strength that it emits. For me, my Apple Watch (Series 2) is far weaker than my iPhone X.

For my AW, I make sure that my whole screen is parallel and touching the reader's contact reader. Angling it also works, but you need to make sure that the AW screen is touching the reader. Trying to get it to read at an awkward angle (e.g. tapping the left bus reader with your AW on your right hand) doesn't work.

For the iPhone it's much easier, as the NFC signal seems to be stronger. Again the contact method works.

1)

Last edited:

alvino

Reaction score
Just to share some tips after a few weeks. I'm getting close to 100% success rate with this method:

The detection success rate depends on your device, and the NFC signal strength that it emits. For me, my Apple Watch (Series 2) is far weaker than my iPhone X.

For my AW, I make sure that my whole screen is perpendicular and touching the reader's contact reader. Angling it also works, but you need to make sure that the AW screen is touching the reader. Trying to get it to read at an awkward angle (e.g. tapping the left bus reader with your AW on your right hand) doesn't work.

For the iPhone it's much easier, as the NFC signal seems to be stronger. Again the contact method works.

1)

take a photo of the perpenticular leh!

i dunno your perpenticular is left side of the watch or top side? top side makes more sense. plus the antenna is there!

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For my AW, I make sure that my whole screen is perpendicular and touching the reader's contact reader. Angling it also works, but you need to make sure that the AW screen is touching the reader. Trying to get it to read at an awkward angle (e.g. tapping the left bus reader with your AW on your right hand) doesn't work.

1)

think some people said before contact method doesn't work for them but rather hovering like 1-2cm, which worked well for me too.

either way, i'm getting so nervous tapping that every time i'm just considering using my card instead, LOL. if only i can trial the samsung pay alternative to see if it works better.

datalock

Reaction score

If the iPhone shows a tick, but the gantry shows error, will we still be charged? This trial is annoying me so much so I’m reverting to physical card.

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
take a photo of the perpenticular leh!

i dunno your perpenticular is left side of the watch or top side? top side makes more sense. plus the antenna is there!

Sorry i meant to say parallel, such that the 2 surfaces are fully in contact...

alvino

Reaction score
Sorry i meant to say parallel, such that the 2 surfaces are fully in contact...
Oh thanks for clarifying. I’m doing that too. A bit awkward for my wrist. But longest time to activate it is like 5s until I get a tone. Sometimes 3s.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
If the iPhone shows a tick, but the gantry shows error, will we still be charged? This trial is annoying me so much so I’m reverting to physical card.

won't be charged. iphone shows tick just means that the card info is transmitted successfully.
just like paying at merchant, after tap card, remove card, then u still need to wait for approval and receipt.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Oh thanks for clarifying. I’m doing that too. A bit awkward for my wrist. But longest time to activate it is like 5s until I get a tone. Sometimes 3s.

when i used apple watch also around 2-4sec processing time. that's very long esp in a queue. i assume 3-5s waiting means the watch is far away from the reader's focus point.
when u tap mrt reader, are u tapping at card logo area? how long is the waiting time when tap at card logo area?

datalock

Reaction score
won't be charged. iphone shows tick just means that the card info is transmitted successfully.
just like paying at merchant, after tap card, remove card, then u still need to wait for approval and receipt.

Oh that’s right. Thanks!

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...Cannot apply for refund or else they will block the cepas card forever and you won't be able to use it anymore...

Anybody knows if I’d applied for a refund, is there absolutely any way for me to return my physical MasterCard to a normal CEPAS card?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you applied for a refund, transitlink will disabled the cepas purse permanently and your physical card will no longer carry cepas feature.

The above isn't the same as applying for trip refund. Trip refund is for u if you never tap or you tapped but no response..

Anybody knows if I’d applied for a refund, is there absolutely any way for me to return my physical MasterCard to a normal CEPAS card?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.