Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only trust those vpn that are transparent about their bandwidth. AC vpn is good and works in China

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any code or discount for Astrill current subscribers?

My VPN is going to expire soon.

PS: Current plan allows to connect up to 5 devices concurrently. Anyone who wants to share PM me.

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
Any code or discount for Astrill current subscribers?

My VPN is going to expire soon.

PS: Current plan allows to connect up to 5 devices concurrently. Anyone who wants to share PM me.

Unfortunately there is no discount code for Astrill.

Recently I was hunting around for another VPN to replace my Astrill (with them for 6 years) as it will be expiring this Dec.

Read reviews that ExpressVPN has one of the fastest download speed so I decided to give it a try. Since they doesn't provide free trial, I subscribed for a month.

Connected to these servers to do speed test during peak hours:

USA-Seattle - ExpressVPN 26.42Mbps / Astrill 61.63Mbps
Luxembourg - ExpressVPN 19.07Mbps / Astrill 15.86Mbps
Singapore - ExpressVPN 190.83Mbps / Astrill 264.05Mbps

Downloaded some big files from MEGA (file hosting service) via USA-Seattle server, ExpressVPN average speed is 56Mbps but Astrill is 184Mbps.

Since ExpressVPN have 30-day money-back guarantee, I've requested for a refund before the 30 days is up and decided to stay with Astrill for another 2 more years.

dayfornight

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to VPNs & would like to seek some advises from u all regarding this.

I will be attached to china for 2 months, and will be buying a china sim card over there. Did some research that the great firewall of china is blocking all non-Chinese social media platform(Facebook, whatsapp, youtube, gmails,..). Even some VPN have been blocked too.

Therefore I like to check anyone has experience working and using a VPN in China?
as I would to subscribe an VPN service which I can use over there. (maybe will keep using, as I just recently discover the benefits of VPN).

Mainly usage will be streaming Video(YouTube) and to use our common social media platform(Above), will be using it on laptops & mobile phones.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to VPNs & would like to seek some advises from u all regarding this.

I will be attached to china for 2 months, and will be buying a china sim card over there. Did some research that the great firewall of china is blocking all non-Chinese social media platform(Facebook, whatsapp, youtube, gmails,..). Even some VPN have been blocked too.

Therefore I like to check anyone has experience working and using a VPN in China?
as I would to subscribe an VPN service which I can use over there. (maybe will keep using, as I just recently discover the benefits of VPN).

Mainly usage will be streaming Video(YouTube) and to use our common social media platform(Above), will be using it on laptops & mobile phones.
Don't bother with commercial VPNs as they will be blocked eventually. You can host your own VPN from your own network with your own router, some routers will have a straight forward VPN creation setup page.

dayfornight

Reaction score
Don't bother with commercial VPNs as they will be blocked eventually. You can host your own VPN from your own network with your own router, some routers will have a straight forward VPN creation setup page.

Thank you for the information, but because currently I am only needing it for around 2+ months and I do not have the technical knowledge of setting up the own VPN(which is an barrier for me).

Therefore would like to just subscribe with commercial VPNs to help me with that few months.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thank you for the information, but because currently I am only needing it for around 2+ months and I do not have the technical knowledge of setting up the own VPN(which is an barrier for me).

Therefore would like to just subscribe with commercial VPNs to help me with that few months.

What router do you use? It may be as simple as clicking a few menus.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
one of the router provided by Singtel, "Gigabit router AC plus".

Then you are out of luck. I had a friend use his own Asus router as a VPN server while in China for over a year while his colleges has to keep on changing VPN service as theirs gets ban

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You may be asking in the wrong forum section.
This is mostly on VPN for local usage.

Go to Lifestyle » Travel and Accommodation » China

Read topics > China Facebook and Google and other topics if available and related to your needs.

Or create & post to seek advice from those who are familiar with China.
And specify your usage pattern &or budget, etc; for better suggestions.

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score

If you are linux savvy, you can try out shadowsocks an easy to set up VPN on linux machine

gumpie

Reaction score
I've been on Astrill for a number of years but since it was expiring I took the opportunity to try alternatives, primarily because P2P speeds are poor and I'm unable to connect to Discord using openVPN mode (maybe I'm doing something wrong).

So far, I've tried ExpressVPN, but my main problem with it is that I get terrible latency when raiding in WOW; and VyprVPN which also has bad latency when playing WoW.

I've been reading various review sites, but many seem to just be paid advertisements. Does anyone have a similar usage profile and have a VPN to recommend, or advice in fixing the problems I'm encountering with the VPNs I've tried so far?

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been using Torguard since July last year for p2p & bypassing geo restrictions.

I may renew sub for another year or switch to PIA.

Some info to share here (Coupon codes or URL are in brackets below):

1) NordVPN = USD48/year (70off)

2) Private Internet Access = USD$38.95/year

(http://www.vpnfan.com/blog/private-internet-access-discount-couon/
USD34.95 (http://ayecoupons.com/private-internet-access-coupon-codes/#coupon2250)
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ahemahem-1yr-deal

3) TorGuard = USD29.99/year (TGLifetime50)

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been using Torguard since July last year for p2p & bypassing geo restrictions.

I may renew sub for another year or switch to PIA.

Some info to share here (Coupon codes or URL are in brackets below):

1) NordVPN = USD48/year (70off)

2) Private Internet Access = USD$38.95/year

(http://www.vpnfan.com/blog/private-internet-access-discount-couon/
USD34.95 (http://ayecoupons.com/private-internet-access-coupon-codes/#coupon2250)
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ahemahem-1yr-deal

3) TorGuard = USD29.99/year (TGLifetime50)

So how is Torguard for p2p & bypassing geo restrictions?

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wired, SingTel (ST) 300 Mbps
Test Server = ST in SG
VPN Servers/Hosts = SG

0HJNiKN.jpg

For USD29.99/yr with the coupon code, it's really VFM IMO.

So far for me, the only major thing is I am not able to install it on the ST AC Plus router.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WiFi, Singtel fibre 1gbps
PIA configured into Asus AC86U router connected to sg server.

WElM7j4l.jpg

wifi speed with the VPN turned off.
tLzPDkzl.jpg

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.