Pc for remote desktop uses.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Currently I use a raspberry pi as a remote terminal into both my Linux and windows VMs. It works fine if I lower the stream quality which is good enough for simple webbrowsing and office use but not for watching videos. My guess is that the pi does not have enough performance? (my desktop can run vnc at full quality) looking at AliExpress there are plenty of stick pcs that should fit my needs fine however they don't seem to be available on Lazada (for warranty purposes) maybe I should get a cheap laptop instead?

Edit
Don't know how I managed to post twice and not on the correct thread...

Can the admins move my post and remove the duplicate one?

Last edited:

it_geek

Master Member
Reaction score
better off getting a proper terminal for these kinds of things. I am talking about a full sized terminal. Small computers are designed for lightweight stuff

dryteletubby

Reaction score
better off getting a proper terminal for these kinds of things. I am talking about a full sized terminal. Small computers are designed for lightweight stuff

You mean a KVM terminal? I do not have experience with those but from what I can tell they need to be physically connected to the server. While I need to access my VMs from a remote site

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
You mean a KVM terminal? I do not have experience with those but from what I can tell they need to be physically connected to the server. While I need to access my VMs from a remote site

Think what he meant by terminal is a full fledged pc / desktop.
A KVM is just a monitor, keyboard and mouse with no brains.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Can be various reasons though. Have a pi3 model B love it.

Ethernet or Wifi / ISP bottle neck ..
What is your current configuration?

You can try a cluster of Raspberry pi(s) :o

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I remote in with proxmox built in vnc viewer. It defaults to a quality/bitrate too high for my raspberry pi 2b to stream smoothly. With my Linux vm, I just use a seperate vnc viewer to set a lower quality so it will be more smooth. I haven gotten around to setting up remote desktop for Windows so still using the laggy web vnc in proxmox.

I tried using a laptop in place of the raspberry pi and got perfect vnc control so I don't think its a network issue.

Last edited:

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Might be a limitation of the pi then.
Perhaps to check, see you running it on wifi?
Wifi is pretty bad for the Pi3 2.4ghz as well.

I remote in with proxmox built in vnc viewer. It defaults to a quality/bitrate too high for my raspberry pi 2b to stream smoothly. With my Linux vm, I just use a seperate vnc viewer to set a lower quality so it will be more smooth. I haven gotten around to setting up remote desktop for Windows so still using the laggy web vnc in proxmox.

I tried using a laptop in place of the raspberry pi and got perfect vnc control so I don't think its a network issue.

omegawatch

Master Member
Reaction score
A cheap laptop can be had for <$300, with full features and low power consumption. After all you are doing remote desktop only.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.