Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So is it possible to keep my large luggages in a locker at a station in Tokyo and head to Hakone for 2 day 1 night?

The intention is that once I check out around lunch from Hakaone, I will head back Tokyo and start my route to Narita (about 6 hours available).

Which station should I leave my luggage at, given the travel from Hakone and to Narita?

If you're staying in airbnb, reconfirm with your host that your stay wont be affected. If hotel, can leave your luggages with them for a few days.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought two of these from Qoo10 (same seller) for my 15-day trip because it is cheaper than changirecommends and much more worth than klook (4G for 500mb/day restriction).

Each card comes with 5GB each coz I’m rather heavy user. But also check whether your accommodation has a good WiFi too.

100% works with full 4G strength network from docomo using my Xiaomi.

Whether you need 2, 3 or even 5 GB, it depends on your usage.

Card works well too. They also have a Qoo account so you can compare which has better value.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my friend kept overnight in a locker before.. but not sure whats the maximum.

btw, nice DP :D

I read on some forums that there will be a person clearing the lockers late at night at random, ie he may not clear it daily but at random.

Your DP is unique!

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure what happened in your case but plan should be valid for that selected period purchased i.e. 1 month, 5 days, 3 days and each time you top up the wallet, card expiry will be extended by 6 months. I top up the wallet earlier but only buy the plan before departing.

When I bought the $50 card, it came with $50 of credits and 10 day 100Gb data.
The credits can be used to purchase data.
The credits (at that time ) were valid for 1 month.

But the card got activated on the day of purchase.

So by the time i was about to travel, which was > 1 month after I bought the card, the $50credits had expired and the 100GB also expired.

From what I understand, the free 100GB data is for you to connect to the internet when u are abroad, so that you can purchase extra data there using the $50 credits.

Imagine if I had not tested the card and brought it to Japan, thinking that the credits and 100gb data are still valid.

I think got some people who did that and in the end, they could not use the card at all!

Last edited:

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you take Odakyu railway, then Shinjuku is your starting point.

But if you use JR pass, most likely you will take Shinkansen from Tokyo/Shinagawa (if you stay shinjuku, then Shinagawa is the nearest station).

So you might want to consider putting luggage at Shinagawa.

Thanks for the info!
Yes, I took the Romance car (by Odakyu) from Shinjuku station the last time.
This time, since I have the JR pass, I will take the shinkansen from either Tokyo or Shinagawa and alight at Odawara.

May I know if the Hakone free pass can be purchased at Odawara too?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
This time, since I have the JR pass, I will take the shinkansen from either Tokyo or Shinagawa and alight at Odawara.

yes, Hakone free pass can be bought at odawara. it is a cheaper version, coz it exclude the train from shinjuku to odawara

nemo88

Reaction score
I read on some forums that there will be a person clearing the lockers late at night at random, ie he may not clear it daily but at random.

You have to pay attention and only store your items in the lockers that allow overnight storage. Most lockers are supposed to be cleared out daily so it’s not so much at random but probably they spot check on a regular basis but don’t enforce 100% every day.

MightyPigeon

Reaction score
In addition to the changirecommends wifi router, I also buy starhub happy sim card cos it is charged at local rates when u use in some countries and Japan is one of them.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/prepaid-cards.html

But for this SIM card, please be aware that the card is activated on the day u buy it, ie the countdown starts on the day u buy it.

Also it is better to purchase the data (using the credits which comes with the card) you want just before you leave Singapore so that if there is any issue, you can ask starhub while you are still in Singapore.

First time i bought, i didnt know the card gets activated on the day i bought it. I bought it > 1 month before my trip and just a few days before my trip, the value in it was no longer there as it is valid for 1 month only. Luckily I was still in SG and could call starhub about it and out of goodwill, they reinstated the value back.

That is my default card for overseas travel. Easy to top up via an app and very flexible in countries, except for Vietnam. I also use the mobile number to fill up marketing questionnaires so that my own mobile won't get spammed.

Some airports have very poor wifi and this sim card is a saver.

The downside is that once the data is depleted, it will start eating overseas data charges using your SIM credits. Once the credits drops to zero, your data is cut off.

The most economical would be 3 day 1 GB for $5. Best for countries like Australia.

Not so sure about Japan though. Changi Recommends is unlimited.

apeape

Reaction score
May I know why some of you prefer using DataSIM instead of the Changi Wifi router? what are the advantages?

It seems to me it is easier with the ChangiWifi but would like to know for future travels, thanks!

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
May I know why some of you prefer using DataSIM instead of the Changi Wifi router? what are the advantages?

It seems to me it is easier with the ChangiWifi but would like to know for future travels, thanks!

I tried both before, my experience with Starhub Datasim is much better. Can use at most places without issues except when underground in Japan.

Using Changiwifi in Europe, the router signal very weak in most places, need to charge it constantly and can barely last a few hours. Everyday in Europe using this was a torture. Got 2 unit, 1 is faulty. :s22:

Also, the starhub datasim only cost $15 for 30 days usage, 2.4gb but since it's cheap, each person can get one and went seperately, no issues.
Changiwifi cost more but can be used by multiple parties together, but have to be together.

YMMV.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score

My past experience with Changi Wifi wasn't that good. Battery life only lasted for few hours and need constant charging and sometimes signal is weak. Maybe it also depends on the country. I used it during my trip to Thailand and China and both wasn't good.

So I decided to use the Starhub Data Travel plan during my Japan trip and had much better experience with it. Network signal was good and battery life on my smart phone was much better also. I signed up for the 3gb 30 days plan and left about 1.5 to 2gb of data after my 12 days trip.

Last edited:

tjkb230

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Odawara 4000 yen
Shinjuku 5140 yen

For 2-day Pass. There is also 3-day pass available. Check the details from Odakyu Railway.

If you buy the pass at odawara, please note the ticket office is smaller one beside the shops selling food/souvenir, not the bigger one beside the entry gates for non-JR line.

This is because they put up a notice, asking English speaking foreigners to go to the smaller office.

MightyPigeon

Reaction score
I believe ChangiRecommend router SIM card cannot be removed?

With Starhub DataSim you need to to get your own Mifi. If you get a good device (~$160), it can last for 1 full day. Plus you can use it in SG.

If things don’t work out overseas, just swap out the Starhub card and buy a local sim.

But for Japan, it seems like it’s better to get unlimited data option from Changi or Global

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Your DP is unique!

iirc, I did see that its "max 3 days" but not sure of the other details....

I forgot where I got this dp from.. your dp is easy to find :p.

btw, u guy or girl haha

Adam80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have no issues w Changi recommend
But for Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe,my usage is abt 10am-6pm before i need to charge it

But Tokyo usage 10am-8pm is ok before plugging into Powerbank

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have no issues w Changi recommend
But for Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe,my usage is abt 10am-6pm before i need to charge it

But Tokyo usage 10am-8pm is ok before plugging into Powerbank

same here no issues with Changi WiFi. used it before in Hokkaido, Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya etc. lasts until about 6/7pm before needing to charge.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe ChangiRecommend router SIM card cannot be removed?

With Starhub DataSim you need to to get your own Mifi. If you get a good device (~$160), it can last for 1 full day. Plus you can use it in SG.

If things don’t work out overseas, just swap out the Starhub card and buy a local sim.

But for Japan, it seems like it’s better to get unlimited data option from Changi or Global

only one person i know actually bought their own mifi device haha, think most ppl if hotspotting will just use a spare/extra phone they have.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Use changi mifi during my last trip.. No issue with connectivity, head out 9am in the morning, reach back hotel like 7-8pm still got power..

MightyPigeon

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking Green Car from Kyoto to Tokyo just for the experience. Do they serve food on board?

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of taking Green Car from Kyoto to Tokyo just for the experience. Do they serve food on board?

Nozomi green car is around 2 hours from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Food is not FOC, you need to buy either at the station then bring onboard (Bento) or they got people pushing trolley on the train selling those Bento as well.

Station got more selection compared to onboard the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.