Hit and run.

aq12345

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help here.

My car was hit by another car while it was parked at a public car park.

The offending car was attempting to park, hit my car, and then quickly drove off. Fortunately I have clear video footage of the incident and I thought this would be relatively straightforward claim against the third-party's insurance company (AXA).

The dealership/workshop however refuses to proceed with the repair because AXA (the third-party insurer) has not received a report/claim by the offending driver. They are pressuring me to claim from my own insurer first.

Meanwhile, AXA refuses to talk to me and insists on communicating only with the workshop.

What should I do at this stage? I'm at a loss :(

aq12345

Reaction score

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already made a police report and reported to my own insurer.

Issue now is - with such clear video evidence, can the 3rd party insurer deny liability (or refuse to entertain claims) on the basis that the 3rd party did not make a report?

This does not sound quite right to me.

Is your insurance a comprehensive one?

stylechap

Master Member
Reaction score
cars&cars inhouse expert says if other party never report means you can't claim from him. If many of them says the same thing then it must be true.

P.S: not my POV, don't need quote and start debating

yishun265

Reaction score
you will be able to make claim for 3rd party but it'll take time so WS knew this, no one gonna take the cost to repair for you and wait long long for money to come. usual claim process is ownself pay (if you have the money) or own insurance claim, then claim sibeh kaw lat to that 3rd party count everything in let that driver die straight straight later. boh bian one

li9ht5peed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your bumper damage should not be that bad. I would find where the car who banged me was located, and bang him back at the same place where the damage was, before repairing it.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already made a police report and reported to my own insurer.

Issue now is - with such clear video evidence, can the 3rd party insurer deny liability (or refuse to entertain claims) on the basis that the 3rd party did not make a report?

This does not sound quite right to me.
Given you got footage, hence imho you will got your claim done 'sooner or very later' ba.
So you need to claim Own Damage(OD) 1st then work it out for 3rd party claim for Singapore's vehicles.
Troublesome in a way, yes ba.

But noted that if it a malaysia's vehicles hit you, then gone case le.

As far as I understand that the claim procedure is still very 'old school' as nobody bother to improve it as many had faced it too.

For those without video footage will face greater issue with their claim and is always in the mercy trying to get 'evidence' to get successful third party claim.

Since you are in this position, you should voice out such a 'flaw aka loop hole' in the system; if there is any(?).

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your bumper damage should not be that bad. I would find where the car who banged me was located, and bang him back at the same place where the damage was, before repairing it.
Wow! Why got edmw's post here??
School holiday started sooner than expected?

Where are all the teachers to teach this child the basic human ethics? Or just hopeless liao?
Gosh

addats

Reaction score
It is just fair practice on the insurance side. Take for example someone claim against you with a video. Your insurance company without checking with you just pay out, you happy?

Just a procedure, the insurance company will try to contact the person asking him to make a report. Depend on insurance company, some of them give a longer waiting period some shorter. At the end of the period if he still do no make a report then the company will act base on the video. that is why even if you have clear video and 100% his fault, they dont pay out immediately.

If your car can still drive than wait loh. Ir cannot then you have to repair and pay ( your own pocket or OD ) first. As the end you will still get back.

I have 2 accident last year. Both cases 100% the other party fault and I have video. same thing, have to wait. I would not have claim (minor scratches) if both of them are apolagetic. In state once come down from car keep argue that I bang them. Dont want to give me particulars. I go back agent and file a claim and replace the whole bumper. Cost him a few thousand.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U claim yr own first eventually yr insurance will claim the other. Got car number n video so no dispute.

Or go workshop and if don’t want to do, then take the first option. There’s no difference tbh

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It always has been.
Find a workshop, let them handle. You don't need to fork a single cent.

I got hit by taxi, I drove to workshop, workshop called the taxi co, haven't lodge report, but they sapo my car, give me replacement then tell me they'll settle.

Naturally, if you go back to AD... it's different story...

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
U claim yr own first eventually yr insurance will claim the other. Got car number n video so no dispute.

Or go workshop and if don’t want to do, then take the first option. There’s no difference tbh

THere is a different if other party contested and go for small court case and can drag for 2yrs max. Victim will suffer loss of NCD and pay high premium for 2yrs due to OD claim. Let say court award you 100% and then you get back full and thus premium lower and insurance company rebate you the lower cost but they wont rebate you for the previous year when the case is not settled.

Offender in this case sabo the victim for paying more premium for 1-2yrs and also the excess. Duno how these insurance works but all pretty stupid and slow. Why are we paying for these nonsense stewpig ppl?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.