Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RIP......

Not sure how it happened, must be sleepy or tired. Quite a long drive to VIK actually... i remember driving that steep slope down

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RIP. I guess we can't comment much on what happened. there are always risk involved when driving overseas because of the different expected or unexpected conditions.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Weather is one thing, the road with black ice is another thing. Too many possibilities.

tulipkiss

Reaction score
About to start planning to chase the northern lights and got slightly confused about the best period we should visit - some sites say Nov-Feb (was thinking of beginning Nov or Feb CNY period for new moon) is the best time with long winter nights, yet some other sites recommends Sep-Oct to avoid the rain / snow.
Any advice?
Saw Norwegian Air flying for about $790 (SIN-LGW-KEF) round for nov and feb.

Last edited:

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
Finnair got promo now 699 to Oslo n few other destinations. It’s 1398 for two. Travel period till end Nov I think.

Scientifically speaking, sept/Oct and Mar/apr good months to go cos of equinox.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
About to start planning to chase the northern lights and got slightly confused about the best period we should visit - some sites say Nov-Feb (was thinking of beginning Nov or Feb CNY period for new moon) is the best time with long winter nights, yet some other sites recommends Sep-Oct to avoid the rain / snow.
Any advice?
Saw Norwegian Air flying for about $790 (SIN-LGW-KEF) round for nov and feb.

Mid Sept. All roads including f roads are still open and u have equally same amount of daylight and night.

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Finnair got promo now 699 to Oslo n few other destinations. It’s 1398 for two. Travel period till end Nov I think.

Scientifically speaking, sept/Oct and Mar/apr good months to go cos of equinox.

Unfortunately I may not be able to take leave until after mid-oct.. and after mid-oct will be full moon (20ish) which will reduce the darkness / not recommended too?

Looks like I may have to postpone plans to Mar..

Last edited:

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Mid Sept. All roads including f roads are still open and u have equally same amount of daylight and night.

That's if we're heading to iceland right? If we chase the NL in Tromso, seems like there's not much other attractions (hence, doesn't really matter if the daylight is shorter from october onwards.)

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's if we're heading to iceland right? If we chase the NL in Tromso, seems like there's not much other attractions (hence, doesn't really matter if the daylight is shorter from october onwards.)

Yes. The travel date suggestion was referring to Iceland. I never been to Tromso for NL. Beside NL, iceland has so much other attractions to see so even u have no luck to witness NL

kruzeryo

Reaction score
Hi All.. I’m planning to go Iceland somewhere in Mid March 2019. Starting planning.. Just a short stop over from London and Paris. I’m planning to visit The Golden Circle, The Blue Lagoon and Skogafoss, Reynisfjara & etc.

Do I need a 2WD or 4WD?

Any car rental company to recommend?

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All.. I’m planning to go Iceland somewhere in Mid March 2019. Starting planning.. Just a short stop over from London and Paris. I’m planning to visit The Golden Circle, The Blue Lagoon and Skogafoss, Reynisfjara & etc.

Do I need a 2WD or 4WD?

Carsiceland.

Those places u mentioned no need 4WD. In March. All cars are to have studded tyres and I always feel better to rent 4WD

kentona

Reaction score
I visited the Iceland in March last year as well.
Rented a 4ED from lotus car rental.

Do I need a 2WD or 4WD?

ApeTruelove

Master Member
Reaction score
Just be sure to check on weather forecast and road condition. Rent car first day but can't go anywhere as most road is closed due to bad weather wholeday =(

kruzeryo

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your reply. I have decided to rent Suzuki Vitara 4X4.

Btw.. Do we need to get International License or just being our Singapore Driving License?

Need your advise please.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your reply. I have decided to rent Suzuki Vitara 4X4.

Btw.. Do we need to get International License or just being our Singapore Driving License?

Need your advise please.

No need international license for Iceland car rental as our license is in English.

Constellar Timepieces

Reaction score
Do apply for the car insurance when you rent your car. The weather conditions can be unpredictable and you can't exactly rely on weather forecasts even if it's one day ahead, so your best bet would be the forecast for the day itself.

There might be sandstorms and if i'm not wrong, winds above 25m/s or 35m/s should be indicative of that and it might cause some damage to the car which in turn means that you'll have to compensate the rental company

Constellar Timepieces

Reaction score
Do note that while some roads around the city may seem to be "speed camera free", there are still some traffic police roaming the area. The fines can get quite hefty, i.e. $700-800 SGD if you're driving at 130km/hr on a road with a speed limit of 80km/hr to 90km/hr

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Do note that while some roads around the city may seem to be "speed camera free", there are still some traffic police roaming the area. The fines can get quite hefty, i.e. $700-800 SGD if you're driving at 130km/hr on a road with a speed limit of 80km/hr to 90km/hr

Just happened I tio fine when I went Iceland in 2016, with a picture send to my email address. We were driving through a tunnel and didn't even noticed we were over the speed limit...
Cost $120SGD. Good thing is, there were many of us in that car so can divide. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.