[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
After more than 10 years, I'm itching to do a mini 1 feet planted tank. High sloped riccia with a trio of beautiful guppies. Miss those days when my father and I get excited when they start to bubble oxygen.

Am out of the hobby for so long - where's the best place to get all my equipment and plants at one go?

buy online.
many giving up on this hobby liao.

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which part of the island do you stay?

I stay in Tampines. Someone mentioned a fish farm in Pasir Ris with a very nice uncle. Ive been there before and very glad they are still around. The uncle drove us back home!

I would love to go back there, but it's really quite out of the way.

unicr0ne

Banned
Reaction score
After more than 10 years, I'm itching to do a mini 1 feet planted tank. High sloped riccia with a trio of beautiful guppies. Miss those days when my father and I get excited when they start to bubble oxygen.

Am out of the hobby for so long - where's the best place to get all my equipment and plants at one go?

lol what a joke.

1ft might as well keep betta

Ethereum

Reaction score
why my kohaku koi stop swimming around these past few days? nothing have changed apart from the weather being a little warm and just a little cleaning of the water fall that serves as aerator.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Around a certain place or the activity lvl drops?
Tested water parameters ?

Cleaning of water fall any residual goes Into the pond?

No koi no pond here just thinking aloud .

why my kohaku koi stop swimming around these past few days? nothing have changed apart from the weather being a little warm and just a little cleaning of the water fall that serves as aerator.

Ethereum

Reaction score
Around a certain place or the activity lvl drops?
Tested water parameters ?

Cleaning of water fall any residual goes Into the pond?

No koi no pond here just thinking aloud .

Swim around slowly and stays at the same spot for long times. Cleaned as usual and water is a little low on pH as advised. But on and off it swims normally

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro the warm weather can cause bacterial spikes. Keep observing. If always on the bottom with fins clamped, might be time to call koi farm to take a look.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Waterfall cleaning often releases a large amount of waste into the water.
The other thing it does is knockback the bio a great deal, eapecially if the pond is underfiltered.

Have you tested the big 5? PH, KH, Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia?

Lastly, I hope you used pond water to wash the waterfall. Our tap water is full of chloramines which will damage the bio filter.

Last edited:

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would spread out waterfall cleaning over 2-3 weeks, a little section at a time. A portable pump would be used to provide pond water for cleaning. Alrernatively a high capacity declorination system can be used to provide dechlorinated tap water for the same.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You mentioned your PH is a little low. Do do a KH test. KH is a measure of the water’s ability to maintain a given PH level despite addition of acid or alkaline materials. SG KH is extremely low out the tap, and buffer replacement like oyster shell and sodium bicarbonate needs to be added to keep it high.

KH is also used by aerobic bacteria to process ammonia. Insufficient KH will result on poor filter performance.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If all goes well, getting this built with my new place. Haven't done volume calcs but should be near 75t. The circular main pond in front is a bit over 50t. Triple drum filters, turning over 150t an hour. Almost fully automated and fully redundant. Learnt from mistakes made with the last pond I built.

attachment.php

Edit: If keeping fish doesn't work out, it'll be a nice swimming pool lol.

Last edited:

gwbasic

Reaction score
Looks nice!

Got some more questions:
1) What kind of vacuum recommended to clean substrate? Fish shitting all over my nice clean sand :s22: (I'm tempted to just use my filter as a vacuum and move it around by hand)
2) I found a clear mesh netting on amazon, to diy a tank cover, are there similar alternatives?

Last edited:

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Plain old siphon works best for substrate vac. Don’t use your filter or it may jam with sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.