[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah the trustee siphon best
I using the python for my 5,2,2 with gravel and it is perfect .

Using pump cannot control , if suck up sand u cannot lift up to make it lose suction

Plain old siphon works best for substrate vac. Don’t use your filter or it may jam with sand.

chuakboon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow this thread going good

Me keep fish too

Normally I will create a chain of food finisher from TOP till bottom

Arowana
Niugini bass
2 teugelsi and common black pleco

Pyro77

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows where to get these 2 fittings? Can't find in neighbourhood hardware shop.

maleadapter_insert_5.jpg

407ell_3.jpg

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to make money from fish-rearing hobby? If yes, roughly how much money are we looking at? Make money means money coming in must exceed cost of rearing fish.

Hi to all fish nerds,

This thread is created for all fish lovers to share and discuss everything from fresh water to brackish water to salt water, small fish to medium fish to monster fish.

This thread is also created to post update on local LFS and stockings of various watery creatures and aquarium equipment.

Do keep the thread civil and dont break any hardwarezone rules.

So Fish nerds, remember to keep your hands wet!

(This thread is not for fish tank with mermaid inside.)

hUWizlhl.jpg

Some useful links below: (recommended by Ows)

Aquarium Stocking Calculator

Design your tank setup

List of local fish shop - Courtesy of Aquatic Quotient

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

Pyro77

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to make money from fish-rearing hobby? If yes, roughly how much money are we looking at? Make money means money coming in must exceed cost of rearing fish.

Can is can.

But you will have no life after work. If your breeding stock uplorry you also llst and swallow the loss.

And be careful, recently got baotoh kia on FB groups report people to NEA for selling fish.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows where to get these 2 fittings? Can't find in neighbourhood hardware shop.

maleadapter_insert_5.jpg

407ell_3.jpg

Ok gotta be careful.

Two main thread systems in use, NPT (American) and BSP (British)

BSP is more common here. They are NOT interchangeable.

If you are looking for NPT system fittings, including the barbs and elbow you pictured, you can check with LNKTrading. I get all my ASTM fittings from them.

I think they have BSP fittings available too, but have not asked them before. Email them before going down to be safe.

You of course need to know the size of fittings you are after.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the interested :) 30ft long sump.

Water comes in mid left, is purified down to 50 micron cleanliness by 3 drum filters (not shown), and is pumped to 2 places - the upflow chamber on the right, and a waterfall (big yellow pipe)

attachment.php

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows how much does it cost to do a small pond? maybe ard 4M x 4M... including pumps and filters...

camelsback

Reaction score

Water comes in mid left, is purified down to 50 micron cleanliness by 3 drum filters (not shown), and is pumped to 2 places - the upflow chamber on the right, and a waterfall (big yellow pipe)

attachment.php
show picture of current set up leh

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

attachment.php

Nice . I am sure with ur meticulous planning it will turn out perfect .

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows how much does it cost to do a small pond? maybe ard 4M x 4M... including pumps and filters...

Depth is what costs a lot. A professionally built pond of this size that is 5ft deep will come in around 20-50k maybe. You can reduce costs by doing a half in, half oit pond. That is 2 ft down, 2 ft above. This style needs to be 2m away from neighbour though. If it is shallow, you could potentially DIY for much less if you feel up to the challenge. Think of it as digging a few shellscrapes.

Pumps and filters will depend on what you want to put in. You will want two pumps min. About $1k will sort that out for a pair of Tsurumis. Air pump another $200. Brish and mats filter is the cheapest, but also requires most maintenance. Most common in SG now other than brush and mats is bead. Always oversize the bead if you are planning to keep koi. If you can import a sieve filter to put in front of the bead, you will be better off. Allocate about $3-4k here. Top of the line for filtration is the rotary drum filter. Installing these units will require more careful design since electronics may be involved. You must also be prepared to DIY repairs as there are no distributors here. I can talk more about these if you are interested. They start at around $5k.

In Singapore, the shower is IMO the best bio stage money can buy. At least intil I have tested the biocenosis basket system. The showers, if fed clean water, almost never need maintenance and superbly oxygenate water. They are also cheap to build if you aren’t picky about not using the traditional momotaro bacteria house media and stainless steel shelves. Lavastone in stacked heavy duty plastic cartons works excellently.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depth is what costs a lot. A professionally built pond of this size that is 5ft deep will come in around 20-50k maybe. You can reduce costs by doing a half in, half oit pond. That is 2 ft down, 2 ft above. This style needs to be 2m away from neighbour though. If it is shallow, you could potentially DIY for much less if you feel up to the challenge. Think of it as digging a few shellscrapes.

Pumps and filters will depend on what you want to put in. You will want two pumps min. About $1k will sort that out for a pair of Tsurumis. Air pump another $200. Brish and mats filter is the cheapest, but also requires most maintenance. Most common in SG now other than brush and mats is bead. Always oversize the bead if you are planning to keep koi. If you can import a sieve filter to put in front of the bead, you will be better off. Allocate about $3-4k here. Top of the line for filtration is the rotary drum filter. Installing these units will require more careful design since electronics may be involved. You must also be prepared to DIY repairs as there are no distributors here. I can talk more about these if you are interested. They start at around $5k.

In Singapore, the shower is IMO the best bio stage money can buy. At least intil I have tested the biocenosis basket system. The showers, if fed clean water, almost never need maintenance and superbly oxygenate water. They are also cheap to build if you aren’t picky about not using the traditional momotaro bacteria house media and stainless steel shelves. Lavastone in stacked heavy duty plastic cartons works excellently.

yah i figured at least 20k... any cheaper i think the landscaper will not be interested... i just need to dig down abt 2-3ft as my garden is already 4-5ft above the carpark lot besides it... not really a DIY guy so prefer to have everything setup by professionals...

my cousin had a koi pond next door that only need to maintained once or twice a year... usually before CNY he will get pple to come to do the cleaning... dunno what system he using...

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
show picture of current set up leh

Build in progress. 1.5m finished depth.
attachment.php

Finished

Drum filter closer look

=

These are pretty old. I do have more recent vids on my phone. Need to get down to loading them up on youtube.

Bonus: The first pond from when I was a pond newbie. Back breaking I tell you.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yah i figured at least 20k... any cheaper i think the landscaper will not be interested... i just need to dig down abt 2-3ft as my garden is already 4-5ft above the carpark lot besides it... not really a DIY guy so prefer to have everything setup by professionals...

my cousin had a koi pond next door that only need to maintained once or twice a year... usually before CNY he will get pple to come to do the cleaning... dunno what system he using...

2-3 ft is good as BCA need not be involved if you limit depth to less than 1.5m. If you put in a double or triple laminated glass viewing wall in front... sweee!

If you want me to look over your plans and offer input, I'd be happy to do so. The key with ponds is "take your time planning, and build it right the first time". In SG it is very hard to fix things once the concrete has set. I got burnt with my first pond over 10 years ago - brush and mats style which I cleaned every 2 weeks, eating 4 hours every time.

IMO it is very likely your cousin is using a traditional brush and mats system if he had to engage someone to wash. Modern bead filters can be backwashed by pond owners - and it is recommended to do so every couple of weeks. A mats and brushes system can go a long time between maintenance at the expense of water quality as they don't choke easily. Longest I'd gone was 3 months due to NS callup and a business trip back to back. Fish weren't happy, and I felt soo guilty.

Washing time after the crap has been left to stew is a dangerous period as 6 months or more of sludge at the bottom of the filter can release toxins like hydrogen sulfide. If you pumps ever stop for extended period, it is GG.

The death knell for the old pond sounded when a CNY buffet operator turned on the wrong tap when cleaning up, filling my pond with chlorinated water for several hours. All but one fish died - and that one didn't last too long in my neighbour's communal pond with all the predators around.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2-3 ft is good as BCA need not be involved if you limit depth to less than 1.5m. If you put in a double or triple laminated glass viewing wall in front... sweee!

If you want me to look over your plans and offer input, I'd be happy to do so. The key with ponds is "take your time planning, and build it right the first time". In SG it is very hard to fix things once the concrete has set. I got burnt with my first pond over 10 years ago - brush and mats style which I cleaned every 2 weeks, eating 4 hours every time.

IMO it is very likely your cousin is using a traditional brush and mats system if he had to engage someone to wash. Modern bead filters can be backwashed by pond owners - and it is recommended to do so every couple of weeks. A mats and brushes system can go a long time between maintenance at the expense of water quality as they don't choke easily. Longest I'd gone was 3 months due to NS callup and a business trip back to back. Fish weren't happy, and I felt soo guilty.

Washing time after the crap has been left to stew is a dangerous period as 6 months or more of sludge at the bottom of the filter can release toxins like hydrogen sulfide. If you pumps ever stop for extended period, it is GG.

The death knell for the old pond sounded when a CNY buffet operator turned on the wrong tap when cleaning up, filling my pond with chlorinated water for several hours. All but one fish died - and that one didn't last too long in my neighbour's communal pond with all the predators around.

oh i din know pond need BCA approval also if more than 1.5M deep...

hmm... u just gave me the idea of doing it at the edge of the garden so that i can do the viewing glass and see the fishes from the car park... quite cool sia...

but i reckon this will be a massive project for me... needed to plan this properly and research more... the house is getting old so might wanna wait until a major renovation then do it together... meanwhile gather more information first...

thanks for all the input!

sadbearbear

Banned
Reaction score

how did it happen? the cny buffet operator wash his own dishes? did you sue him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.