Overhauling my old rig, need your opinion

Tartar Sauce

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Old set up at the side -->
Please feel free to change my set up if you find other cheaper/value for money alternatives!
mainly gaming, but some video editing for work/hobby on the way

Order of upgrades over the next few months:
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming 8GB // Zotac GTX1070Ti AMP 8GB
Monitor: Samsung CF791 (building towards 3440x1440 gaming, hoping to hoot this for 999$)
Processor: r7 2700x
Mobo: an x470, but no idea which :s22: need recommendations
RAM: 8gb x 2 first, maybe later upgrade to 32gb, so need recommendations (do i need 3600mhz or like 3000mhz will do?)
PSU: reuse
Casing: Reuse
SSD i got 1x126, 1x256, HDD 2b all reusing

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mmm so 1080 minimum? read about the freesync flickering
Get a gsync monitor that is a 4k 60hz or 2k 144hz.. do your gtx1080ti the justice it deserves.. dont be some poser can buy gtx1080ti but boh lui buy cui monitor...

Sent from Old Man Pressing For Retirement using GAGT

Tartar Sauce

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get a gsync monitor that is a 4k 60hz or 2k 144hz.. do your gtx1080ti the justice it deserves.. dont be some poser can buy gtx1080ti but boh lui buy cui monitor...

:s13::s13: i think you are talking about Rashkae?
im just having trouble piecing the components together
right now im just playing dota 2 (sibei low specs) and most probably gonna buy the battlefield 2018 coming out next.
worst thing is the mobo... googled a ton but i still dont know what's the main difference :s22:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
right now im just playing dota 2 (sibei low specs) and most probably gonna buy the battlefield 2018 coming out next.
worst thing is the mobo... googled a ton but i still dont know what's the main difference :s22:

Well u have not stated what's your budget and is the monitor inclusive as well?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No la.. got one thread whining monitor no dp or hdmi and cannot connect gtx1080ti

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway, motherboard you can consider the older B350, and ram at 3000 is good enough.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get GPU last. Newer gen nvidia in bound this year (likely)

Also, not a big deal running without sync. Unless you're doing competitive gaming, then get a gsync one as it's easier to match with gpu choices from nvidia which have larger market availability.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

Tartar Sauce

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well u have not stated what's your budget and is the monitor inclusive as well?

budget not really a concern, but i dont want to go past the point where the increase in performance not worth it liao

AMD GPUs are still way overpriced. To power this monitor, at least a Vega 56 required.

yup, i might just go with a g-sync monitor although it will be much pricier

Anyway, motherboard you can consider the older B350, and ram at 3000 is good enough.

im actually considering the asus prime x470 or the gigabyte x470 aorus gaming ultra. price wise asus seems to be almost 100$ more but reviews seems to favor both of them equally.

or should i wait for the b450 lol

Get GPU last. Newer gen nvidia in bound this year (likely)

Also, not a big deal running without sync. Unless you're doing competitive gaming, then get a gsync one as it's easier to match with gpu choices from nvidia which have larger market availability.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

will consider this! i all along thought gpu is the limiter so i always thought of upgrading the gpu first

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.