Back from South island New Zealand

kentona

Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning for a road trip in Dec 18. 14 days in south New Zealand.
Have anyone rented a Campervan? I would like to know how’s the experience and from which rental company??

Thanks all!

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have anyone rented a Campervan? I would like to know how’s the experience and from which rental company??

Thanks all!

Dec campervan will be damn expensive. Try to book at least like 2-3 months before hand. Not sure whether will cheap by alot not. That time I checked for 13-14 days like that about 2-3k? I think about 150+ per day or so iirc.

belgarathc

Reaction score
I went for my campervan trip last Dec. It is indeed a lot more expensive. Went with The Pod. Basic functional van. I find North Island pretty nice too esp Tongariro Crossing.

liemsc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks all!

I'm also going to do campervan in south NZ in Dec'18. So I can't really share experience on the trip, but maybe can share a bit on the campervan hunting.
Btw - how many people will there be in your group? If you have max.4, then you'll have many more options than if you need campervan with capacity of 5-6 people (which is my case).

I started by looking at the reviews in rankers.co.nz site. From there you can see which companies have good review ratings, then you see whether they have the kind of campervan that you have in mind (in terms of capacity and how new their fleet looks like - because the age is closely correlated to the price). You can even use the rankers function of getting direct quotes from the different companies, based on your need (i.e. date, capacity, budget level).

As mentioned by the others earlier, it is indeed expensive (especially during the summer peak season). I do think doing campervan + holiday parks will be more expensive than using normal car + staying in motels.
Aside from the campervan cost (which can be $300+ /day), the holiday parks itself (powered site) would already cost around $100/day (for 4-5 pax, because they count by pax).

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Last June, I rented from https://www.wilderness.co.nz. For my upcoming trip in July, I will be renting from http://www.britz.co.nz

Overall, I had a good and enjoyable experience with campervan. I also liked that I didn't have to pack and unpack every time I changed location.

By the way, NZD forex now (both spot and money changer rates) is very favourable to SGD that I've seen in 2 years.

AaronZzZ

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Tours are freaking expensive in NZ. I've already planned for skydiving and I'm considering the Fox Glacier tour. Do you think it is worth it?

If yes, which one do you recommend? Preferably most bang for buck. :s13:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Tours are freaking expensive in NZ. I've already planned for skydiving and I'm considering the Fox Glacier tour. Do you think it is worth it?

If yes, which one do you recommend? Preferably most bang for buck.
:s13:

Heli tour? What kind of tour u talking about at fox?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Heli is damn expensive. 400-450 right?

I still took it since it's kinda a unique experience. Taking heli, walking the gracier etc.

Try it if it's still within your budget ba.

lameasszz

Reaction score
I'm also going to do campervan in south NZ in Dec'18. So I can't really share experience on the trip, but maybe can share a bit on the campervan hunting.
Btw - how many people will there be in your group? If you have max.4, then you'll have many more options than if you need campervan with capacity of 5-6 people (which is my case).

I started by looking at the reviews in rankers.co.nz site. From there you can see which companies have good review ratings, then you see whether they have the kind of campervan that you have in mind (in terms of capacity and how new their fleet looks like - because the age is closely correlated to the price). You can even use the rankers function of getting direct quotes from the different companies, based on your need (i.e. date, capacity, budget level).

As mentioned by the others earlier, it is indeed expensive (especially during the summer peak season). I do think doing campervan + holiday parks will be more expensive than using normal car + staying in motels.
Aside from the campervan cost (which can be $300+ /day), the holiday parks itself (powered site) would already cost around $100/day (for 4-5 pax, because they count by pax).

I hope this helps in planning a campervan south island trip! https://themoreitravel.com/2017/08/27/how-to-do-a-8-day-campervan-road-trip-in-new-zealand-south-island-for-nzd-900/

igarashi

Reaction score
planning a year end trip, and was thinking of going NZ.
Most likely will be a solo trip and can't find a friend / partner to join.

Will NZ be a good solo location ?
If solo, thinking of just rent a campervan and travel around. But my worry will be tiring to drive whole day for the whole trip. Any advise ?
Class 3 can drive a campervan ?

Thanks.

confederate_mercenary

Reaction score
planning a year end trip, and was thinking of going NZ.
Most likely will be a solo trip and can't find a friend / partner to join.

Will NZ be a good solo location ?
If solo, thinking of just rent a campervan and travel around. But my worry will be tiring to drive whole day for the whole trip. Any advise ?
Class 3 can drive a campervan ?

Thanks.

With regards to your queries:

Yes, it is definitely an appropriate location for a solo backpacker trip. Personally, contrary to the busy lifestyle of say places like Tokyo or say Taipei (Both are also awesome places too). New Zealand is probably one of those places for those inclined towards a tranquil and serene place as a travel destination. Not as hectic as the tourist-ridden places like I've mentioned above.

There are other appropriate options for travelling in New Zealand other than self-drive. Yeah it will be a bit vexing to be on the move consistently so if you're a fatigue-prone person it might trouble you a fair bit. However it's also possible to hitchhike in New Zealand - Hailing a random stranger for a commute to the desired place of travel. Most locals will be more than willing to hitch you a ride. Bus rides are also other possible option with an abundance in local shuttle companies ferrying you to other major cities and towns. However if you want to go to the outskirts, definitely other options must be sought.

Yes, you can drive a campervan.

Last edited:

igarashi

Reaction score
With regards to your queries:

Yes, it is definitely an appropriate location for a solo backpacker trip. Personally, contrary to the busy lifestyle of say places like Tokyo or say Taipei (Both are also awesome places too). New Zealand is probably one of those places for those inclined towards a tranquil and serene place as a travel destination. Not as hectic as the tourist-ridden places like I've mentioned above.

There are other appropriate options for travelling in New Zealand other than self-drive. Yeah it will be a bit vexing to be on the move consistently so if you're a fatigue-prone person it might trouble you a fair bit. However it's also possible to hitchhike in New Zealand - Hailing a random stranger for a commute to the desired place of travel. Most locals will be more than willing to hitch you a ride. Bus rides are also other possible option with an abundance in local shuttle companies ferrying you to other major cities and towns. However if you want to go to the outskirts, definitely other options must be sought.

Yes, you can drive a campervan.

oh ok. Never thought of hitchhiking maybe can consider. Been to Taiwan and Japan a few times already. So considering some non asian country.

Will give a thought about traveling NZ.

Thanks.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hitchhiking might cause much delays to your plan. Like maybe you need to wait for hours before someone is willing to drive you to your next destination, then you are f-up.

Consider self driving, campervan or otherwise. You're not always on the move, most of the time only when you travel places to places? It's not that bad actually. My friend just returned not long, and like travelling with campervan cause don't have to pack/unpack unlike if you stay in motel/hotel/etc.

And if you go city area like queenstown, you can park somewhere and take bus to downtown and walk around instead of driving.

But I'll say it's not exactly cheap, depending on what you want to do (activities), and duration that you will be there. I'll say at min, 12 days else, it's a waste.

igarashi

Reaction score
Hitchhiking might cause much delays to your plan. Like maybe you need to wait for hours before someone is willing to drive you to your next destination, then you are f-up.

Consider self driving, campervan or otherwise. You're not always on the move, most of the time only when you travel places to places? It's not that bad actually. My friend just returned not long, and like travelling with campervan cause don't have to pack/unpack unlike if you stay in motel/hotel/etc.

And if you go city area like queenstown, you can park somewhere and take bus to downtown and walk around instead of driving.

But I'll say it's not exactly cheap, depending on what you want to do (activities), and duration that you will be there. I'll say at min, 12 days else, it's a waste.

True also, will need for a car to come before you can hike a ride.

Your friend also solo NZ ?

For me, first time to NZ, more to taking photos, flying drone taking all the landscape photos. Hope to see aurora. I'm ok with 12 - 14 days to slowly explore.

Understand that NZ is left hand drive, not sure if i can get use to it.

My brother tried driving left hand drive and he got a headache every time he drive. haha

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True also, will need for a car to come before you can hike a ride.

Your friend also solo NZ ?

For me, first time to NZ, more to taking photos, flying drone taking all the landscape photos. Hope to see aurora. I'm ok with 12 - 14 days to slowly explore.

Understand that NZ is left hand drive, not sure if i can get use to it.

My brother tried driving left hand drive and he got a headache every time he drive. haha

No, he went with partner.

It's right hand drive, same as sg.

Not sure if drone can bring not, have to see who know here. Don't know got restrictions in airport custom.

axelim.sg

Reaction score
Suggestions for North island itinerary mid Dec
(due to work commitment, we can only travel in mid dec)

Hi, objective is scenery and relax sightseeing; we're not into adventurous or water/beach activities, such as rafting and hiking. We'll self drive (2 adults and a 3 years old).

Here is our initial itinerary - route1:
Day 1: Arriving Auckland @2pm, SQ direct. Rest for the day.
Day 2: Explore Auckland City (own pace skytower, harbour bridge, parnell etc)
Day 3: Explore Auckland surrounding (plan to join day tour for dolphin and whale watching)
Day 4: Drive to Rotorua 8AM (via Matamata for Hobbiton movie tour)
Day 5: Explore Rotorua (plan to visit 2 nearby geysers/thermal)
Day 6: Explore Rotorua (plan to visit nearby sheep farm or join Waitomo cave day tour)
Day 7: Drive to Taupo 8AM (plan to visit Waimangu and Wai-O-Tapu)
Day 8: Explore Taupo (plan to visit Tongariro)
Day 9: Full day drive to Wellington 8AM (5 Hrs direct but planning for multiple short break in Turangi, Palmerston etc)
Day 10: Explore Wellington city (own pace LOTR movie tour, cable car)
Day 11: Explore Wellington surrounding (plan to visit kapiti coast, maybe even picton crossing)
Day 12: Fly back Auckland (if schedule and time permit, would like to try full day train)
Day 13: Fly out of Auckland, SQ direct (12pm)

Above itinerary feasible or appropriate?
Another concern is Day 9 onward, worth to spend 5hrs drive to Wellington?
Should we skip Wellington all together and focus on places north of Taupo?

Thanks!

Last edited:

igarashi

Reaction score
No, he went with partner.

It's right hand drive, same as sg.

Not sure if drone can bring not, have to see who know here. Don't know got restrictions in airport custom.

ic ok let me plan abit.
Will start research on itinerary now.

Thanks thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.