Johor Bahru - share is caring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuripa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anybuttie knows where to buy those party poppers in jb? is it ok to bring across customs?

1200px-Party_poppers.jpg
Singapore still got sell mah, can try SKP outlets.

Best not to buy unless you're mentally prepared for the possibility that it might get confiscated at the checkpoint.

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is not that nice, is SUPER NICE, i only eat oyster omelette at that stall.

during peak times is about 40 minutes and can go up to 60 minutes if super peak, got experience 70 minutes before but that is rare and is due to large take away orders.

off peak less than 20 minutes.

when wait time reaches 40 minutes, auntie will tell you even before you order.

if u are in a group/getting dinner there/ordering other dishes especially ikan bakar, 40 minutes wait time doesn't mean much, since u have to wait for other dishes to be prepared also. it fits into the makan window.

really that nice ar? Need to queue how long? =:p

Last edited:

Whisper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is not that nice, is SUPER NICE, i only eat oyster omelette at that stall.

during peak times is about 40 minutes and can go up to 60 minutes if super peak, got experience 70 minutes before but that is rare and is due to large take away orders.

off peak less than 20 minutes.

when wait time reaches 40 minutes, auntie will tell you even before you order.

if u are in a group/getting dinner there/ordering other dishes especially ikan bakar, 40 minutes wait time doesn't mean much, since u have to wait for other dishes to be prepared also. it fits into the makan window.
The queue is self service? So best to go with another friend. While one queue the other chope seat?

Btw sup kambing cannot bring over to non halal side to eat while waiting for oyster omelette right?

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no need self service, they bring to you, better service than sg hawker centers :s22:... unfortunately. all stalls will bring their food to you.

if you going alone, i suggest for lower wait times, go before 1800hrs or after 2100hrs.

if u don't go there often, i suggest going with a few people, because a few people can order larger variety of food and try more dishes. common order combo for groups, ikan bakar + oyster omelette + bbq chicken.

sup kambing i think normal customers cannot bring over, but u can tabao then ask them for spoon and Styrofoam bowl. sometimes if i arrive a little later and wait time longer than 20 minutes, i bring sup kambing over, but me is super regular customer there :s13: so maybe got exception, when i visit the stalls, no need to order, just exchange greetings and sit down, they recognize me and know usual order :o

The queue is self service? So best to go with another friend. While one queue the other chope seat?

Btw sup kambing cannot bring over to non halal side to eat while waiting for oyster omelette right?

Last edited:

Whisper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Aaagogo..actually I have never been to meldrum street before. It's after seeing u recommend the oyster omelette, sup kambing and ikan bakar then I very tempted to go..in fact I already 3-4 yrs never go JB liao.

They bring the food to us is good so no need to stand while.ewiting. can order BBQ fish and eat while waiting. :)

I'll go around 5pm, order the oyster omelette then 530pm go tabao the sup kambing..don't wanna stay till too late as it will be 2 of us ladies only.

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
be warned, once you try the sup kambing and oyster omlette there, no other place can match up to their standard and very likely you won't eat at other place ever again, these are high calorie food, can't afford to waste the precious stomach space

even adam road or boon keng sup kambing is no fight. theirs is watery soup, not enough body and not enough collagen. meldrum one is thick and full bodied, only achieved by fresh non frozen meat and boiling lots of tendons and other fibrous parts for long hours. i suggest ordering the campur(mixed) version

ikan bakar is super value for money, plus they do honest business, you pick your prefer piece of fish and put on scale to weigh infront of you and you get told of the price before u confirm. 1 piece sotong with petai and winged beans plus 1 nice size piece of stingray plus minus 50RM

and the pièce de résistance; oyster omlette, fresh and plump oysters, perfect combination of crispy bits and soft creamy eggy chunks. i highly suggest order with add oysters for maximum pleasure.

don't forget to grab a Magum ice cream for desert @ 4.7RM, buy in the shops before the CIQ building and keep in your bag, then enjoy it AFTER you pass the checkpoint where you have to show your passport. it makes the long walk from that point to passport control seem shorter and much sweeter.

your target timing is good, after finishing eating, still light out while walking back to customs to aid digestion.

omg, type until my salivia drooling... waiting for the weekend to arrive and can't wait to eat until food coma

@Aaagogo..actually I have never been to meldrum street before. It's after seeing u recommend the oyster omelette, sup kambing and ikan bakar then I very tempted to go..in fact I already 3-4 yrs never go JB liao.

They bring the food to us is good so no need to stand while.ewiting. can order BBQ fish and eat while waiting. :)

I'll go around 5pm, order the oyster omelette then 530pm go tabao the sup kambing..don't wanna stay till too late as it will be 2 of us ladies only.

Last edited:

Whisper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
be warned, once you try the sup kambing and oyster omlette there, no other place can match up to their standard and very likely you won't eat at other place ever again, these are high calorie food, can't afford to waste the precious stomach space

even adam road or boon keng sup kambing is no fight. theirs is watery soup, not enough body and not enough collagen. meldrum one is thick and full bodied, only achieved by fresh non frozen meat and boiling lots of tendons and other fibrous parts for long hours. i suggest ordering the campur(mixed) version

ikan bakar is super value for money, plus they do honest business, you pick your prefer piece of fish and put on scale to weigh infront of you and you get told of the price before u confirm. 1 piece sotong with petai and winged beans plus 1 nice size piece of stingray plus minus 50RM

and the pièce de résistance; oyster omlette, fresh and plump oysters, perfect combination of crispy bits and soft creamy eggy chunks. i highly suggest order with add oysters for maximum pleasure.

don't forget to grab a Magum ice cream for desert @ 4.7RM, buy in the shops before the CIQ building and keep in your bag, then enjoy it AFTER you pass the checkpoint where you have to show your passport. it makes the long walk from that point to passport control seem shorter and much sweeter.

your target timing is good, after finishing eating, still light out while walking back to customs to aid digestion.

omg, type until my salivia drooling... waiting for the weekend to arrive and can't wait to eat until food coma
U making me hungry. I'm going in this Friday morning about 930am.

Any sup kambing stall along that stretch will do right? I'll order the bone part cos I love the bone marrow. :D

U mean keep the ice cream in my bag then eat after I chop passport?? Won't melt meh?

Hope stomach still have space coz I having curry fish head for lunch :)

Last edited:

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U??? i making myself hungry :o

no, not keep until after chop passport. there is a "checkpoint" where u have to flash your passport then continue walking to chop passport. it's before you head up 2 escalators before you enter their CIQ buiilding.

When u come out of CIQ building, after you travel down the 2nd escalator, look to your left and you will see that little "check point" area. when u are making your way back to SG, you are "required" to flash your passport to the officials there before proceeding.

yupe, any 1 of the 3 stalls left, after renovations, are good. tried them all after renovation. personally recommend the stall deepest in the middle of the section. i like their flavor best. that stall is also the only one left over from renovations. the other 2 are new, moved in from other place.

for food adventure days, i suggest conserving stomach space by not eating carbs.

if u don't want to queue and wait for Kam Long, which i think is a little over hyped, u can consider an alternative by Cedar Point hawker center. it is right behind Paragon hotel. only down side if no personal transport, then have to taxi/grab there and back, it's in the middle of nowhere so to speak. KSL is down the road if you want to walk the pasar malam trail.

U making me hungry. I'm going in this Friday morning about 930am.

Any sup kambing stall along that stretch will do right? I'll order the bone part cos I love the bone marrow. :D

Hope stomach still have space coz I having curry fish head for lunch :)

Last edited:

Whisper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Aaagogo
Just checked my old passport..last I went jb was in 2011..:s13:

No wonder I can't relate when u mentioned about the flash passport portion.

Ok I'll try to search for the middle section sup kambing..I don't intend to take rice or noodles.. save space for more food.. :D

I think I'll only check out paragon hotel after this trip..as too long never been to jb already so don't want to wonder too far off custom.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
@Aaagogo
Just checked my old passport..last I went jb was in 2011..:s13:

No wonder I can't relate when u mentioned about the flash passport portion.

Ok I'll try to search for the middle section sup kambing..I don't intend to take rice or noodles.. save space for more food.. :D

I think I'll only check out paragon hotel after this trip..as too long never been to jb already so don't want to wonder too far off custom.

about time to renew passport?

stargate2

Reaction score
any reccommanded phone repair in citysaquare or KSL

any reccommanded phone repair in citysaquare or KSL ... for Samsung phone

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WOOO HOOOO

monday monday monday, go KSL watch Deadpool 2 then go eat delicious Sio Bah + Carrot cake with tao geh + tau huey + muah chi and wash them all down with a huge bag of sugar cane juice :s13:

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
WOOO HOOOO

monday monday monday, go KSL watch Deadpool 2 then go eat delicious Sio Bah + Carrot cake with tao geh + tau huey + muah chi and wash them all down with a huge bag of sugar cane juice :s13:

where u eat those stuff?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Though I'm no longer a fan of the Monday pasar malam at KSL, I'd recommend that you go on that day so that you'll not feel that it's too quiet.

This pasar malam is along the road in front of the KSL hotel and stretches all the way to Hotel Grand Paragon. The Coffee Bean entrance of KSL shopping mall is on the right of the hotel entrance.

What I normally do is to shop in the mall before heading out to the pasar malam. Start from the hotel side at about 5pm, then walk/eat/buy all the way down to Paragon, then head into Cedar Point which is down the road on the left just before the hotel.

Cedar Point. Top Curry Fish Head

Do we see the boss pointing to a sign that says they're closed on Mondays? =:p

Anyway, I just find Mondays a good day for first-timers (and not-been-there-a-long-timers) to the area, unless you drive and just head to Cedar Point for dinner. I'd also recommend their BBQ chicken wings, rojak, and satay.

I've tried walking from KSL to Cedar Point (and back) on another day, and this road had more cars and merely a couple of other people walking.

Can check out the KSL Mall thread for more info on the area. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.