$1m networth is middle-class. How much is considered upper-class?

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From discussion online, it seems $1m networth is not a lot today. It is not little, of course. Still sizable. However, it is considered "only" middle-class for people above their 40s. If you have $1m networth, you're mid SES (socio-economic status).

How much networth is considered upper-class or high SES for Singaporeans above 40?

It's good to know where we stand. Losers will drive themselves harder. Winners can take a short rest to improve their health if health has been slightly damaged from wealth accumulation process.

Last edited:

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Online can talk until got dragon got Phoenix, but in reality, most earning less than 4 k or even 3 k per month.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're gonna attract the legendary troll to enter this thread to talk about her 5 terrace houses and 8 freehold condos.

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Online can talk until got dragon got Phoenix, but in reality, most earning less than 4 k or even 3 k per month.

Today, middle-managers in MNC or civil service can earn >$10k salary. God knows how much senior managers can earn. $3-4k salary are for grads in their 20s and early 30s. I think many of them can reach $1m networth by their 40s.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it is like Maslow's hierarchy. There is a point beyond which your basic needs are set. I think that point is 100k. Then there is a point after which you feel you have arrived in the middle class, that point is 1m. Above 1m sky is the limit, because there is no end to how materialistic you can go.

Having said that, it also depends on individuals capacity and aspiration. For me 3M is the figure, that I feel I would like to have to feel I have achieved something. I don't know whether I will get there, but at this point that feels like the provorbial moon for me to reach.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Last edited:

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're gonna attract the legendary troll to enter this thread to talk about her 5 terrace houses and 8 freehold condos.

networth = assets - liabilities

Having lots of property does not mean high networth because liabilities can be huge too.

Reaction score
How you define upper class?

Those who stay in sentosa cove? Nassim road? Good class bungalow?

Dun compare so much lah.. 人比人 气死人

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Firstly, you have to clearly define what you mean by middle class?

Net worth more than 50 % of population? Or net income more than 50 % of population?

If you look at median income in Singapore at personal level, you should get a clearer picture.

Today, middle-managers in MNC or civil service can earn >$10k salary. God knows how much senior managers can earn. $3-4k salary are for grads in their 20s and early 30s. I think many of them can reach $1m networth by their 40s.

Last edited:

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From discussion online, it seems $1m networth is not a lot today. It is not little, of course. Still sizable. However, it is considered "only" middle-class for people above their 40s. If you have $1m networth, you're mid SES (socio-economic status).

How much networth is considered upper-class or high SES?

It's good to know where we stand. Losers will drive themselves harder. Winners can take a short rest to improve their health if health has been slightly damaged from wealth accumulation process.
- networth include property? if so, alot of ppl exceed
- include cpf?
- lastly, 1m for household or 1m for individual? if latter , means 2m for spouse and urself?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.