What you should know when applying to NTU LMS

mgcltwo

Reaction score
Hi, a current LMS undergraduate here. With the 10th percentile at CGPA 3.53 and BBC/C, LMS is a relatively easy course to enter. All prospective students will have to go through an interview before admission unlike other courses where you get admitted directly.

When you get shortlisted for interviews, you will go through a written essay test (30mins) on a random topic about languages. Do read up the course description to have an idea on what to write. Also, as you are applying to a degree that specializes in dealing with languages, make sure your argument is something along the lines of say, advocating language diversity instead of advocating the world should only speak 1 language, English.

You will be made to wait with fellow candidates in a meeting room and the professor will call you guys one by one for an interview. The interview will be generally non-formal and the prof just wants to know why LMS but not other courses. After the session, just wait for the letter from NTU admin office.

LMS is NOT about learning many languages. Rather, it is about using a scientific approach in studying languages. E.g applying existing linguistic hypothesis to derive the grammar structure of unknown languages, universal principles among the languages in the world. We do learn some physics and biology though, to understand the physiological and acoustic mechanism of speech. However, unlike Eng Lit/History, we do not usually have essays for tests&exams (short answers/mcqs) but we do have essay assignments.

Why LMS NTU and not FASS EL? EL adopts a pure humanities approach; after learning what constitutes a language(syntax,semantics etc.), you learn about historical and social phenomenons associated with language use. LMS does offer these modules too BUT LMS has several professors who are experts in neurolinguistics (where is language processd in the brain?) and psycholinguistics (how does the mind work when using languages?) , something which NUS seems to lack (correct me if I'm wrong but I can't find any info on these on FASS' site). TLDR: LMS offers a more holistic and interdisciplinary approach toward the field of linguistics whereas NUS mainly focuses on theoretical, historical and social aspects.

Let me know if there are any questions:)
-A senior who is passionate about guiding his/her juniors

Wow thank you so much! This was really really informative :D

I've been accepted into NTU English but I was thinking of taking up LMS as a minor (or, if I do well enough in my 1st year, second major) (wasn't offered a guaranteed second major ☹) so if you don't mind I have a few questions!

1. How well do you have to do in your first year to be offered a second major? #muggertoad We are allowed to take up to 2 minors right (which I'm currently planning to) but I heard that a 2nd major uses up the UEs, so would I still be able to take up my other minor if I took a second major?

2. Is it true that you have to be good at math to take lms? (I was warned there's calculations involved??) Do I have to be worried about not being good at science? Or how is it different from sec/jc science? (Because you mentioned phy n bio!)

Thank you so much!!! (Can you tell I'm worried about surviving in uni AHAHA)

Last edited:

AnimalPlanet

Reaction score
Wow thank you so much! This was really really informative :D

I've been accepted into NTU English but I was thinking of taking up LMS as a minor (or, if I do well enough in my 1st year, second major) (wasn't offered a guaranteed second major ☹) so if you don't mind I have a few questions!

1. How well do you have to do in your first year to be offered a second major? #muggertoad We are allowed to take up to 2 minors right (which I'm currently planning to) but I heard that a 2nd major uses up the UEs, so would I still be able to take up my other minor if I took a second major?

2. Is it true that you have to be good at math to take lms? (I was warned there's calculations involved??) Do I have to be worried about not being good at science? Or how is it different from sec/jc science? (Because you mentioned phy n bio!)

Thank you so much!!! (Can you tell I'm worried about surviving in uni AHAHA)

Hi there, am always glad to help.

1) From my knowledge, you will be asked whether you want to take up a second major after year 1 and if you have a cgpa of 4.00 and above. You will be using UEs to clear your second major which involves more than 5modules (5 modules to get your minor and you only have 10 UEs to clear), doing the math, once you take up a second major, I think it is unlikely you can take up a minor.

2) no math involved! You do not need calculators, say except for statistics which is a major prescribed elective. Your cores require no calculation. The science here is mainly cognitive science which not even your A level peers have learnt before I believe. The physics and biology content... it helps to know before but should you have no background knowledge, try to grasp the concept as soon as you can, as a combined science student in sec sch, it was ok for me and I could keep up, albeit I have to ask tutors for guidance on those areas. I got an A+ by the way if that assures you despite having a lack of sci knowledge. Basically it helps to know about waveforms and biological aspects of the throat:)

mgcltwo

Reaction score
Hi there, am always glad to help.

1) From my knowledge, you will be asked whether you want to take up a second major after year 1 and if you have a cgpa of 4.00 and above. You will be using UEs to clear your second major which involves more than 5modules (5 modules to get your minor and you only have 10 UEs to clear), doing the math, once you take up a second major, I think it is unlikely you can take up a minor.

2) no math involved! You do not need calculators, say except for statistics which is a major prescribed elective. Your cores require no calculation. The science here is mainly cognitive science which not even your A level peers have learnt before I believe. The physics and biology content... it helps to know before but should you have no background knowledge, try to grasp the concept as soon as you can, as a combined science student in sec sch, it was ok for me and I could keep up, albeit I have to ask tutors for guidance on those areas. I got an A+ by the way if that assures you despite having a lack of sci knowledge. Basically it helps to know about waveforms and biological aspects of the throat:)

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it!! :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.