Anyone ever suffer big loss and kenna burnt from investment b4?

soulblader_89

Banned
Reaction score
How do you guy cope with it? after the loss, how do u manage your finance?

Do you guys live more frugally to recoup the loss?

How do you deal with it emotionally?

SibehHL

Reaction score
Sometimes if really suay, don't even have opportunity to cut loss... simply lost entire capital when Lehman Brother collapsed.

Can't sleep and smoked continuously for 2 days... :(

But appeal to MAS also no use since I was accredited as AI (don't even know what it mean at that time).

Anyway life have to go on so just bite the bullet and work harder to make more $$.. :)

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
So why invest when the main point is to make money?

Isn't the large capital loss amounts to worse than any interest gain in future?

As in why people still invest with uncertainty just to gain like 4 to 8 percent and its non guaranteed.

SibehHL

Reaction score

As in why people still invest with uncertainty just to gain like 4 to 8 percent and its non guaranteed.

Guess all your assets are in FD ($70K per bank) / SSB ($100K) / SGS Bonds / CPF? What do you do with other cash, biscuit tin under the bed?

TabascoSauce

Master Member
Reaction score

Bcos 4 to 8% is better than 1 to 2%. Compounding over 30 years, the difference is huge

And for investments that have a return of 4-8%. It is unlikely to have large capital lost over the Long term if u diversify

soulblader_89

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes if really suay, don't even have opportunity to cut loss... simply lost entire capital when Lehman Brother collapsed.

Can't sleep and smoked continuously for 2 days... :(

But appeal to MAS also no use since I was accredited as AI (don't even know what it mean at that time).

Anyway life have to go on so just bite the bullet and work harder to make more $$.. :)

Will u guy start to blame yourself and start to beat urself up? :(

Solano

Reaction score
You should live frugally always, not only after a huge loss. Get your attitude right.

Do you guys live more frugally to recoup the loss?

How do you deal with it emotionally?

SibehHL

Reaction score
Will u guy start to blame yourself and start to beat urself up? :(

No leh. A few days is bad enough already... :(

Although my loss is at the low 6 figures but reckon that "as long as mountain is there, always have wood to burn" :s13:

Stay healthy and strive harder to make more money :) no need to be too hard on yourself

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sure, it's happened. During the Global Financial Crisis (2008-2009 especially), there was a tremendous amount of red ink popping up when I looked at my financial statements.

I didn't do very much except to keep doing what I was doing (saving regularly from work-related earnings), and I also made some special/exceptional/additional one-time purchases of the same well diversified investments.

What would you do if your local grocery store decides to sell the laundry detergent that you like and regularly use at half price? Stock up, of course -- buy some more. Fund investments don't spoil due to age, and they don't take up any space in your closet. So if they're genuinely on sale, available at deep discount, the sensible thing to do is to stock up. Just like laundry detergent or anything else that's on sale at your grocery store for the lowest price you've ever seen and ever expect to see.

I know Singaporeans understand grocery store logic. I've seen it! So why do so many people struggle with the same basic concept when they go shopping in the investment store? When something is genuinely on sale, stock up -- same thing. And that's really how you deal with your head, too. Just relate it to what's more familiar in your everyday life (like laundry detergent at your supermarket) but substantially the same phenomenon.

During the Global Financial Crisis there was some crazy stuff going on, and (with the upper parts of the brain applied), it really was understandable as crazy. Large financial institutions were doing everything they possibly could to shift into cash and cash equivalents, in just a few of the world's global currencies. Currencies like Swiss francs, U.S. dollars, euro, yen, and British pounds, as notable examples. Practically everything else was on fire sale. It was really quite amazing to behold.

I only had a couple concerns. One was job loss, but that's always a concern (or should be), and I always try to be at least reasonably prepared for that. The second was just double checking that I had/have clear title to assets, with well regulated markets that have strong investor protections, and with good personal record keeping practices.

Last edited:

SibehHL

Reaction score
I know Singaporeans understand grocery store logic. I've seen it! So why do so many people struggle with the same basic concept when they go shopping in the investment store? When something is genuinely on sale, stock up -- same thing.

Luckily you did not stock up too many Kodak or Fuji 35mm film... :D

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Luckily you did not stock up too many Kodak or Fuji 35mm film... :D
That's where "eat a balanced diet" analogies come in. You might not be able to forecast the fates of Lehman Brothers and Apple (as examples), but it's a much safer bet that global corporate economic activity, as a whole, will continue just about as long as humanity is around. Or, to say it another way, while you might not know exactly how to value all the world's publicly traded companies, you know the correct answer is not zero -- and that, if/as the market valuation gets closer to zero, the price of a global stock fund (VWRD as an example) is that much more attractive.

You're surely not buying only laundry detergent at your supermarket. It doesn't taste very good, for one thing.

That is another mistake some investors (gamblers?) make, and I'll keep pointing it out. "Eat a balanced diet."

Last edited:

soulblader_89

Banned
Reaction score
102597333-cheng.530x298.jpg

635684272153775794_1024.jpg

You guy that time expression gt like this guy or not?

or even more kua zhang? :eek:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.