Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

kruzeryo

Reaction score
I guess I need to be more alert and follow the traffic rules. Let say if I don't drive off road, can I just rent 2WD in Mid September? I'm planning for sight-seeing around the ring road. Not sure which car I should take in September around the ring road. Do you think Toyota Yaris is good? Just the two of us. :)

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw a toyota yaris buang into a snow filled ditch along the road.. last year mid oct

naz1983

Reaction score
I guess I need to be more alert and follow the traffic rules. Let say if I don't drive off road, can I just rent 2WD in Mid September? I'm planning for sight-seeing around the ring road. Not sure which car I should take in September around the ring road. Do you think Toyota Yaris is good? Just the two of us. :)

I was there early Nov. Drove Yaris and was travelling with my friend also. Personal experience is that the car is underpowered. But Iceland is so damn beautiful that rushing point to point would be a total waste of the trip. The car being slow like turtle also probably saved us from breaking the Iceland road sound barrier and accumulating fines:s13:

September weather shouldn't be that bad yet i think. But just a tip, as the locals say, plan around the weather and check the weather and road conditions before moving off every day.

I did chiong one day when the weather wasn't so favourable and barely manage to escape the storm. Thankfully the storm wasn't that bad yet. But did affect my itinerary a bit.

I saw a toyota yaris buang into a snow filled ditch along the road.. last year mid oct

I saw a few cars off the road when over there. No idea whether they buang or taking pictures:s22:

ctstalin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess I need to be more alert and follow the traffic rules. Let say if I don't drive off road, can I just rent 2WD in Mid September? I'm planning for sight-seeing around the ring road. Not sure which car I should take in September around the ring road. Do you think Toyota Yaris is good? Just the two of us.
:)

I drove a small camper round the ring road in October. Should be fine for you as well

thehonestexplorer

Reaction score
I went in 2015! Best place in the world.
You can check my blog https://thehonestexplorer.wordpress.com to download the itinerary also!

natsuoto

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to go further north in Finland, Inari. I saw the northern lights for the first time in 2015.

Wow I see, thank you for your input, is it better to go to Iceland or Norway to catch it? After doing some research, Norway seems like a better option. Too much info grrr

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
I have been to Iceland Norway Finland to catch the northern lights for the past three years.

Norway > Finland > Iceland.

Norway Finland northern parts of these two countries fall within the aurora oval. Which is the region where aurora activity can be seen. The aurora oval cuts across northern parts of Sweden (e.g Abisko), Finland(e.g inari) and Norway (e.g. tromso), which is why people can see aurora dancing above in the skies.

The same aurora oval can be found on the southern pole, but due to the inhabitable nature of the southern region. Only ppl working in these hardly accessible places can see the southern lights. It takes geomagnetic storms of at least G1 to be able to see aurora from Tasmania or New Zealand. Cos as the aurora activity intensity increases, the oval belt expands. Therefore most of the time southern lights are photographed far out in the horizon.

Recently the G2/3 storms made it possible to see aurora near New Zealand.

After saying so much, tromso n Lofoten islands are the best places I been so far to see the aurora.

Best months to visit is sept/Oct and Mar/apr due to equinox, where the magnetic fields of sun and earth align, aurora activity will be more easily triggered.

Wow I see, thank you for your input, is it better to go to Iceland or Norway to catch it? After doing some research, Norway seems like a better option. Too much info grrr

natsuoto

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been to Iceland Norway Finland to catch the northern lights for the past three years.

Norway > Finland > Iceland.

Norway Finland northern parts of these two countries fall within the aurora oval. Which is the region where aurora activity can be seen. The aurora oval cuts across northern parts of Sweden (e.g Abisko), Finland(e.g inari) and Norway (e.g. tromso), which is why people can see aurora dancing above in the skies.

The same aurora oval can be found on the southern pole, but due to the inhabitable nature of the southern region. Only ppl working in these hardly accessible places can see the southern lights. It takes geomagnetic storms of at least G1 to be able to see aurora from Tasmania or New Zealand. Cos as the aurora activity intensity increases, the oval belt expands. Therefore most of the time southern lights are photographed far out in the horizon.

Recently the G2/3 storms made it possible to see aurora near New Zealand.

After saying so much, tromso n Lofoten islands are the best places I been so far to see the aurora.

Best months to visit is sept/Oct and Mar/apr due to equinox, where the magnetic fields of sun and earth align, aurora activity will be more easily triggered.

Thank you for the info, I’ve decided on Norway tromso. Planning to go Dec, very little time to plan

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
Go with chasing lights, the private tour for chasing aurora in tromso. They now have a 7-day pass. Can go every night if you staying long or plan to go for 2 or more nights chasing. More worth it than the singular trips. I been on their tours every time I go tromso!

Thank you for the info, I’ve decided on Norway tromso. Planning to go Dec, very little time to plan

ping56

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went there 2 years ago in December but didn’t manage to catch the northern lights :(

natsuoto

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go with chasing lights, the private tour for chasing aurora in tromso. They now have a 7-day pass. Can go every night if you staying long or plan to go for 2 or more nights chasing. More worth it than the singular trips. I been on their tours every time I go tromso!

Noted thank you, do you still have your itinerary, can you share with me if you don’t mind? ^^

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
Went there 2 years ago in December but didn’t manage to catch the northern lights :(
Researchers have long known that, during weeks around equinoxes, cracks form in Earth's magnetosphere. Solar wind can pour through the gaps to fuel bright displays of Arctic lights. This is called the the "Russell-McPherron effect," named after the researchers who first explained it. A recent study covering 75 years of historical geomagnetic records shows that September-October are among the most geomagnetically active months of the year–a direct result of "equinox cracks."

spaceweather.com

ene1010.tan

Reaction score
Finland

Hi,
I will be going to Finland for Biz trip in Jan. Would like to extend and go catch the northern light.

Would like to get some advise frm those who been there. which tour agency should i go to?
Wan to get one that covers couple of days chasing and have accomodations as well. thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.