Dolby Atmos and DTS-X soundbars

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on Atmos and DTS-X soundbars since these are the headline features of newer 2018 & 2017 soundbars.

Just got the 2018 Sony Z9F 3.1 soundbar + Z9R wireless pair.
- In reality, it's a 5.1 setup but the vertical sound engine enables upmixing to virtual 7.1.2 Atmos and DTS-X.
- Supports loseless and HiRes codecs (DTS Master Audio HD, DD+ etc).
- HDCP 2.2 and supports HDR10, Dolby Vision pass through, etc.
- Pressing Display button on the remote enables a pop-up on your TV showing the virtualizatuon mode (Atmos, DTS-X, Neural:X, etc) and format (DTS-HD MA, DD+, Dolby Audio, etc) of the audio stream playing

Below are some initial thoughts -

Just bought it yesterday from Sony days promo. Called several retailers like harvey norman, courts, best denki and gain city.

At present, only Sony stores carry the rear speaker pairs (Z9R).

Couple of key points to consider -
- $1'199 list price and $999 Sony days promo price (i.e. Sony days $200 off until 1 July).
- Island-wide, only Sony stores carry the rear speakers at the moment. List price is $459 for the pair but $409 during Sony days promo.
- However, at Sony stores, there is a purchase-with-purchase offer available during Sony days promo (only in July), which allows you to get 30% off the Z9R rears (i.e. $321 vs. $459 list price!) when you buy it together with the Z9F.

- If you want more prounced height effects, then you MUST get the rear speakers (you'll get more pronouced overhead rear L/R effects)
- If you wish to only get a sound bar without rears, I'd still suggest getting the ST5000 (think it's around $1'999 at present after promo) given that it has many more speakers in front and sound effects appear more "weighty" due to the larger, front-heavy speaker setup. The Z9F relies more on the subwoofer to deliver the low frequency effects.
- However, if you want true surround, then the ST5000 can't beat the Z9F + ZR9 combo (true surround + virtual 7.1.2 Atmos & DTS-X) due to having real rear speakers.

Does virtual Atmos work without upfiring speakers? The answer is yes as the Sony DSP is able to virtualize overhead sound and cleverly trick your ears into hearing thinking that sound is coming from above. Obviously, sound separation wise, it won't beat a real in-ceiling speaker setup but I think the Z9F worth it for such a compact set.

In order to truly appreciate the vertical height effects of the Z9F + Z9R, you should try the DTS-X speaker call-out demo below -
https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.php?id=87980801
Note in particular the Overhead front L/R and overhead rear L/R to experience the Sony virtualization prowess.

Will post some pics when I have the time.

Last edited:

Cadino

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing . Just wondering whether you have compared this with Bose Soundtouch 300, Samsung K950 or JBL 5.1? All also come
With rear speakers.

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing . Just wondering whether you have compared this with Bose Soundtouch 300, Samsung K950 or JBL 5.1? All also come
With rear speakers.

I don't have the above but out of the three, K950 (I think brand new clearance price might be around 1.4k) is the only one with Atmos support and a 5.1.4 configuration (both front and rear speakers have real upward firing speakers). Tried the in-store demo but hard to hear the effectiveness due to the in-store layout. For the K950, layout of your living room also impactd the effectiveness of the Atmos effect as it depends on ceiling height, how far you sit from the tv and whether there's space behind your sofa to for the rear speakers.

I'd wait for the 2018 Samsung N950 to be released if you want DTS:X and other fixes (there were quite a number of technical complaints about K950 although the audio performance is great).

I've heard good things about the Bose Sound touch 300 if you don't need height effects.

For the JBL 5.1, I've used the Philips B5 before, which is also comparable as you can detach the side speakers to use as rears to get true surround. However, the rears are all powered by battery and I'm not sure how long the charges tend to last (I heard 10hrs for JBL though not sure how true in reality).

I've also tried the LG SK10Y (LG's 2018 flagship) in-store and it sounds good but early reviews have mentioned that the voices sound muddy when playing Atmos content.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With rear speakers.

Just my two cents, if want real 5.1 experience.
Can get Atmos AVR with 5.1 speaker package like:

Onkyo HTS 7800
https://audiohouse.com.sg/product.php?item=ONK/HT-S7800

Around $1.6k.
Power and sound will beat soundbar.
Not to mention AVR Atmos is not virtual and upmixing but
native Atmos.

But AVR issue is the cabling so soundbar is much straight forward
and neater.

That is simple Atmos package, if want better Atmos package
usually will cost more $2.5k.
Take note also you need Atmos/DTS-X content like 4K UHD disc/blu ray
for playback.

If you don't have such content than no point getting one.
Those soundbar you mention I have no comment.
I only use Sony soundbar so more or less I am familiar with them.

JackDulouz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What source of playback are you using?

Thought I'd start a thread on Atmos and DTS-X soundbars since these are the headline features of newer 2018 & 2017 soundbars.

Just got the 2018 Sony Z9F 3.1 soundbar + Z9R wireless pair.
- In reality, it's a 5.1 setup but the vertical sound engine enables upmixing to virtual 7.1.2 Atmos and DTS-X.
- Supports loseless and HiRes codecs (DTS Master Audio HD, DD+ etc).
- HDCP 2.2 and supports HDR10, Dolby Vision pass through, etc.
- Pressing Display button on the remote enables a pop-up on your TV showing the virtualizatuon mode (Atmos, DTS-X, Neural:X, etc) and format (DTS-HD MA, DD+, Dolby Audio, etc) of the audio stream playing

Below are some initial thoughts -

Just bought it yesterday from Sony days promo. Called several retailers like harvey norman, courts, best denki and gain city.

At present, only Sony stores carry the rear speaker pairs (Z9R).

Couple of key points to consider -
- I asked authorized dealers for "best price", believe most of them can drop as low as $899 vs. $1'199 list price and $999 Sony days promo price (i.e. Sony days $200 off until 1 July).
- Island-wide, only Sony stores carry the rear speakers at the moment. List price is $459 for the pair but $409 during Sony days promo.
- However, at Sony stores, there is a purchase-with-purchase offer available during Sony days promo, which allows you to get 30% off the Z9R rears (i.e. $321 vs. $459 list price!) when you buy it together with the Z9F.
- In a nutshell, you'd pay $1'320 for the Z9F with ZR9 rears if you manage to secure a set from a Sony store (I managed to negotiate for a marginally better price than the above).

- If you want more prounced height effects, then you MUST get the rear speakers (you'll get more pronouced overhead rear L/R effects)
- If you wish to only get a sound bar without rears, I'd still suggest getting the ST5000 (think it's around $1'999 at present after promo) given that it has many more speakers in front and sound effects appear more "weighty" due to the larger, front-heavy speaker setup. The Z9F relies more on the subwoofer to deliver the low frequency effects.
- However, if you want true surround, then the ST5000 can't beat the Z9F + ZR9 combo (true surround + virtual 7.1.2 Atmos & DTS-X) due to having real rear speakers.

Does virtual Atmos work without upfiring speakers? The answer is yes as the Sony DSP is able to virtualize overhead sound and cleverly trick your ears into hearing thinking that sound is coming from above. Obviously, sound separation wise, it won't beat a real in-ceiling speaker setup but I think the Z9F worth it for such a compact set.

In order to truly appreciate the vertical height effects of the Z9F + Z9R, you should try the DTS-X speaker call-out demo below -
https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.php?id=87980801
Note in particular the Overhead front L/R and overhead rear L/R to experience the Sony virtualization prowess.

Will post some pics when I have the time.

Chevalier

Master Member
Reaction score
I've heard the YSP 5600 atmos soundbar and it's by far one of the most convincing atmos soundbar I've heard.

My brother in law has it as well as a friend.

Tried with the last jedi and force awakens....the surround effects are rather convincing

Ed.YEO

Banned
Reaction score
60.jpg

1835335-phillips-bdp7502-4k-player.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

71Bfn4PeSxL._SL1500_.jpg

149907709178020.jpg

Chys

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information! I am still deliberating if I should buy Z9F or ST5000...

JackDulouz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shld test using 4K UHD bluray or Remux rips to test.

Been using Nvidia Shield with ST5000, effects are good though a bit lacking w/o rear speakers.
Sources are 1080p to 4k videos from Kodi. Typically 15gb-60gb per vid.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sources are 1080p to 4k videos from Kodi. Typically 15gb-60gb per vid.

Should invest in a 4K HDR UHD player than rent 4K UHD.
The picture and sound will definitely be better than downloaded movies.

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should invest in a 4K HDR UHD player than rent 4K UHD.
The picture and sound will definitely be better than downloaded movies.

How much is it to rent these days? Hard to find rental shops with wide selection of UHD discs I'd imagine...

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shld test using 4K UHD bluray or Remux rips to test.

Been using Nvidia Shield with ST5000, effects are good though a bit lacking w/o rear speakers.

The ST5000 front stage performance is quite impressive because of the multiple speakers with larger drivers.

If only it came with optional rears then I might get that 2. The Z9F comes with 3 front firing speakers vs ST5000's 7 front + 2 up

Cadino

Reaction score
So far, I have tried LG SJ9 (not so impressive) and K950 (happy with the sound, maybe cos of the rear speakers). Haven't tried their new SK10Y but price is much higher than SJ9. If it is only marginally better than SJ9, don't think it is worth it.

Never considered Sony so far until now. Will probably try Z9F. Not sure when N950 will be released. If it is as good or even better than K950, would be a good buy.

I don't have the above but out of the three, K950 (I think brand new clearance price might be around 1.4k) is the only one with Atmos support and a 5.1.4 configuration (both front and rear speakers have real upward firing speakers). Tried the in-store demo but hard to hear the effectiveness due to the in-store layout. For the K950, layout of your living room also impactd the effectiveness of the Atmos effect as it depends on ceiling height, how far you sit from the tv and whether there's space behind your sofa to for the rear speakers.

I'd wait for the 2018 Samsung N950 to be released if you want DTS:X and other fixes (there were quite a number of technical complaints about K950 although the audio performance is great).

I've heard good things about the Bose Sound touch 300 if you don't need height effects.

For the JBL 5.1, I've used the Philips B5 before, which is also comparable as you can detach the side speakers to use as rears to get true surround. However, the rears are all powered by battery and I'm not sure how long the charges tend to last (I heard 10hrs for JBL though not sure how true in reality).

I've also tried the LG SK10Y (LG's 2018 flagship) in-store and it sounds good but early reviews have mentioned that the voices sound muddy when playing Atmos content.

Cadino

Reaction score
Agree. Soundbar will never be as good. I used to own a 5.1 system as well. But now, cabling for rear is a no no for wife.

Just my two cents, if want real 5.1 experience.
Can get Atmos AVR with 5.1 speaker package like:

Onkyo HTS 7800
https://audiohouse.com.sg/product.php?item=ONK/HT-S7800

Around $1.6k.
Power and sound will beat soundbar.
Not to mention AVR Atmos is not virtual and upmixing but
native Atmos.

But AVR issue is the cabling so soundbar is much straight forward
and neater.

That is simple Atmos package, if want better Atmos package
usually will cost more $2.5k.
Take note also you need Atmos/DTS-X content like 4K UHD disc/blu ray
for playback.

If you don't have such content than no point getting one.
Those soundbar you mention I have no comment.
I only use Sony soundbar so more or less I am familiar with them.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.