Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi guys, its my first trip to japan coming this june and i'm a little confused with the train planner hyperdia.

I am travelling from Tokyo Shinjuku -> (via ltd narita express) Shinagawa -> (via shinkansen nozomi) Kyoto -> SagaArashiyama station where my airbnb is located. According to hyperdia, the sagaarashiyama train is a local train, i heard from my friends that booking for shinkansen and local trains are diff counters. Howevever, hyperdia shows that the journey with or without the last leg, from kyoto-sagaarashiyama is the same price. Does this mean that i can make a booking for the entire journey at shinjuku station at the start for one price? or do i have to book several separate tickets for this journey? TIA

Actually since it's your first time, just print out the hyperdia timetable of your route, highlight the timing that you want, and pass to the JR ticket office counter. They will know what you require and they will explain to you how to use the tickets. There will be 2 types of tickets that they will pass you, one is a base fare ticket and one is a shinkansen ticket.

The last time I went, my route was to take from Shinjuku to Kanazawa. On hyperdia it showed I have to take a normal train to Tokyo, then transfer to shinkansen. I was worried about the transfer, wondering if I should tap in with suica at Shinjuku and tap out at Tokyo then go in Tokyo station again with the shinkansen ticket or something like that (I didn't know how the tickets or fare gates work in Japan). I printed the hyperdia timetable (many bros here suggested to do this) and show it to the Shinjuku JR ticket office person, and I was confused when he passed me 4 tickets for 2 pax. He explained that one is a base fare ticket, and I can use that for the trip from Shinjuku to Tokyo, and the shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Kanazawa. I remembered having to insert both tickets into the fare gates but can't remember if I did it at Shinjuku or Tokyo. In any case you can just clarify with the ticket office on how to use the tickets. They can speak decent English.

Last edited:

thegamer1907

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys!

what input search input parameters you entered? don't understand how you could get ltd narita express (NEX) from shinjuku to shinagawa? if you not using JR rail pass, you want to use local line as NEX costs much more

as NEX, shinkansen are separate train network, as far as i know, you will have to book separately. so you will have 2 tickets bookings
1. NEX (Shinjuku - Shinagawa)
2. Shinkansen (Shinagawa - kyoto)

for local train (kyoto - SagaArashiyama), no reservation needed, just buy ticket or flash your JR rail pass when you enter/exit the local train gate

Please see the route as advised by hyperdia:
zme8vm.jpg

Should i always avoid the NEX trains and take the local train from shinjuku to tokyo then the shinkansen as per this route?:

10ogwe9.jpg

TIA!

Actually since it's your first time, just print out the hyperdia timetable of your route, highlight the timing that you want, and pass to the JR ticket office counter. They will know what you require and they will explain to you how to use the tickets. There will be 2 types of tickets that they will pass you, one is a base fare ticket and one is a shinkansen ticket.

The last time I went, my route was to take from Shinjuku to Kanazawa. On hyperdia it showed I have to take a normal train to Tokyo, then transfer to shinkansen. I was worried about the transfer, wondering if I should tap in with suica at Shinjuku and tap out at Tokyo then go in Tokyo station again with the shinkansen ticket or something like that (I didn't know how the tickets or fare gates work in Japan). I printed the hyperdia timetable (many bros here suggested to do this) and show it to the Shinjuku JR ticket office person, and I was confused when he passed me 4 tickets for 2 pax. He explained that one is a base fare ticket, and I can use that for the trip from Shinjuku to Tokyo, and the shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Kanazawa. I remembered having to insert both tickets into the fare gates but can't remember if I did it at Shinjuku or Tokyo. In any case you can just clarify with the ticket office on how to use the tickets. They can speak decent English.

Thanks for the clarification! Yes, I will be keeping a copy of the route information on my phone just in case.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
check total 14780yen (NEX) vs 13710yen (JR Yamanote)
diff 1070yen because NEX need to pay seat fee

also, NEX train interval is hourly where as local train can be as short as 5mins

for longer trip like tokyo > narita airport NEX is more comfortable & time saver. local trains are better for short trips

zme8vm.jpg

Should i always avoid the NEX trains and take the local train from shinjuku to tokyo then the shinkansen as per this route?:

10ogwe9.jpg

Last edited:

tjkb230

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys!

zme8vm.jpg

10ogwe9.jpg

TIA!

Thanks for the clarification! Yes, I will be keeping a copy of the route information on my phone just in case.

I also prefer you take Yamanote Line as the frequency is higher, so timing can be more flexible. But Shinkansen departure time is accurate, so don't be late.

IIRC, Yamanote Line will arrive at platform around 1-4 and Shinkansen platform is about 20+. So there is a bit of walking. N'EX's platform is nearer to Shinkansen platform, so lesser walking.

Having said that, try to avoid morning rush hour on weekdays in this case. You + luggage probably can't board the train as it will be overcrowded.

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
I saw some stores at Asakusa Nakamise selling these bags. I think it should be common in other areas as well.

U mean Nakamise shopping street?
I can only go next year cause just came back, will it be available next year? Since this yr is Dog year, so I'm not sure if next yr still have anot.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
saw a shiba cafe at the entrance of Taka$hita Dori. Maybe they have?

dehui87

Reaction score
Hi, would like to ask what’s the possible ways to purchase the USJ new night parade? I tried backing through their website but there’s always problem and it doesn’t allow me to select the number of tickets required. But Lawson and Tahoo tickets need Japan address which I don’t have. Does anyone knows which agency sells the night parade tickets now?

dehui87

Reaction score
u can just buy the normal entry ticket from Klook. if you want to buy the add-on special check-in pass, the official website is the only way to go. I tried navigating the website it's ok though, i can choose the date and number of tickets and add to carts. maybe u miss out clicking on some options.

https://www.klook.com/article/2231-usj-night-parade-osaka-2018

Thank you.. realised that it’s a chrome problem.. has managed to purchase the tixs!

azeris10

Reaction score
Went japan before but first time planning dec trip around 16-18 days

Is it advisable to go during the 2nd week to last week of dec? Anything that I should take note of?

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is it advisable to go during the 2nd week to last week of dec? Anything that I should take note of?

christmas period some area might be hard to find hotel if u book late... and expensive... need to plan and book earlier...

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Air tickets may also be very expensive or unavailable if your desired flight days are on the public holidays. For example JAL doesn't have flights back to SG from Tokyo on 25th Dec 2018 if you try to book it only now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.