Mastercard tap in TransitLink

alchemist_acid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
POSB everyday card?
I replaced mine last month as the paypass function did not work anymore

ahber79

Reaction score
My DBS card also stopped working suddenly today. Boarded the bus is fine. But got error when exiting the bus. Card doesn't work anymore on subsequent bus rides.

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been using Maybank CC for ABT since November. No prob so far

Besides MRT and buses, I also use my CC at Fairprice, Watsons and Guardian with PayPass .... I am fortunate that I didn't encounter issues so far

haydentan

Reaction score
Me too . I tapped out but keep giving error msg. Now they charged me miss exit. Try to submit claim on ABT but it won't work for miss exit . Anyone know how to do it?

You can submit a claim once the you signed two green ticks for the fare in transitlink abt website and they will investigate and refund you. I encountered a few times and refunds were made to me after I submitted claims.
https://abt.transitlink.com.sg/Account/SignIn

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My UOB mastercard also stopped working from yesterday.
Went to transitlink office they push to the bank. Reading this thread, I don’t bother just going back to ez link

BlueRiver

Reaction score
My MayBank credit card also stopped working when I took MRT and I cannot exit until I asked the officer there to help me. In the end they have to manually open the door for me to go out and asked me to get a new card for replacement. I think their machine is somehow destroying our cards.

ahber79

Reaction score
My MayBank credit card also stopped working when I took MRT and I cannot exit until I asked the officer there to help me. In the end they have to manually open the door for me to go out and asked me to get a new card for replacement. I think their machine is somehow destroying our cards.

Transitlink says the bank set a maximum number of transactions the card can be used for before the card must be replaced. Bank says got no such limit. It's Transitlink stopping the transactions. Both pointing fingers to each other.

But anyway, bank says card is spoilt and will send a new card FOC. Funny thing is there is no physical movement inside the card. Just such sensors/wires embedded in the plastic. How to spoil? Troublesome for commuters to submit claim on Transitlink website. Once claim received then can remove old card and add new card.

demoforce1

Master Member
Reaction score
Transitlink says the bank set a maximum number of transactions the card can be used for before the card must be replaced. Bank says got no such limit. It's Transitlink stopping the transactions. Both pointing fingers to each other.

But anyway, bank says card is spoilt and will send a new card FOC. Funny thing is there is no physical movement inside the card. Just such sensors/wires embedded in the plastic. How to spoil? Troublesome for commuters to submit claim on Transitlink website. Once claim received then can remove old card and add new card.

I am back to Nets FlashPay after promo ended, save the trouble.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
now not only broke the ABT but my card even normal payment cannot use.

Somehow the ABT is breaking the chips inside? or something. going back to old CEPAS! much faster and less headache

Last edited:

more3cm

Reaction score
now not only broke the ABT but my card even normal payment cannot use.

Somehow the ABT is breaking the chips inside? or something. going back to old CEPAS! much faster and less headache

CEPAS and ABT same NFC technology

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mrt fare gate readers seem to detect & read cepas cards faster than ABT credit card. Also i have difficulty at some fare gates, it keeps showing red light. Then one day the stupid card just died & couldnt be read anymore.

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
A good read on the history of CEPAS up to 2015 here.

It was noted that the response rate of CEPAS is 180ms within a range of 8 cm.

A recent article on a writer in favour of closed systems (stored value cards) noted that transit-oriented cards like CEPAS were originally intended for quick clearance of commuters at the gates, and that we are turning the clock backwards by allowing EMVCo transactions with response times two-thirds slower (500ms) at the gate. No doubt it is convenient, but that convenience will probably only be realised if foreign-issued cards were allowed (which is difficult to implement due to trust issues).

016l.jpg

018l.jpg

The writer suggests that local transit card issuers work towards emulating transit cards on phones and allowing foreign cards to be used to top up these digital transit cards (e.g., Apple's Express Transit option used in Japan's SuiCa, Beijing and Shanghai). This could reinstate the faster response rates associated with high-volume transit transactions and allow top-ups/recharges to be done offline via a trusted mechanism (Apple Pay wallet).

But I do understand that the CEPAS standard is difficult to emulate owing to the partial refund feature needed for distance fares (instead of deducting only upon exit), though I think if this can be emulated, it would technically allow cities which use distance based charging like Seoul to hop on.

Last edited:

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
On another note, despite the standards dictating maximum response times, the actual response time on NFC-F is around 50ms, while Octopus clocks in at around 100ms. That explains the feeling why transit readers there react much faster than our CEPAS readers.

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Besides MRT and buses, I also use my CC at Fairprice, Watsons and Guardian with PayPass .... I am fortunate that I didn't encounter issues so far

Sian, I kena error when using my Maybank card on the bus this afternoon :(

Tried to use PayPass in Fairprice, also no-go ...

Just called Maybank for a replacement card.

May I ask for those who had experience, do I need to re-register my replacement in the ABT website?

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If it is transilink blocking the transaction, the card shld still be able to use for retail paypass, but in my case paypass also cannot use. I think it is the bank, or the card manufacturer loh.

vj_style

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You could be right. My POSB Eeveryday card ABT also stopped working last Monday, for no apparent reason. The Station Control said it's spoilt. No only that, my PayPass also stopped working on the same day.

I have since gotten a new card from the bank. Now trying to switch to bank mode at GTM. Tried a few but still cannot! Any suggestions? Can I do it at Transitlink office?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.