Mastercard tap in TransitLink

ahber79

Reaction score
This is interesting. Source?

Over the phone when I called the Transitlink Customer Service to ask why my card is not working. Of course the bank will say they do not set such limits. But how do you explain so many of us experience this issue? Mastercard PayPass just stopped working suddenly one day. And the card do not have any moving parts, just a piece of plastic with wires embedded in between.

You could be right. My POSB Eeveryday card ABT also stopped working last Monday, for no apparent reason. The Station Control said it's spoilt. No only that, my PayPass also stopped working on the same day.

I have since gotten a new card from the bank. Now trying to switch to bank mode at GTM. Tried a few but still cannot! Any suggestions? Can I do it at Transitlink office?

Have you add your card in the Transitlink website first and receive the email to start activating your card at the GTM? Only remove your card from the website after your refund have been credited.

vj_style

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you add your card in the Transitlink website first and receive the email to start activating your card at the GTM? Only remove your card from the website after your refund have been credited.

Yes I added the new card and received an email to start activating. It was an auto-generated email though, received almost immediately after I added.

56b903t.jpg

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got my replacement card.
Not going to register it again.
ABT is faulty and is breaking cards. Why use it again when it will break the card later?

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sian, I kena error when using my Maybank card on the bus this afternoon :(

Tried to use PayPass in Fairprice, also no-go ...

Just called Maybank for a replacement card.

May I ask for those who had experience, do I need to re-register my replacement in the ABT website?

huh? ABT broke your card, you asking for replacement then after a while ABT will break your card again then you need another replacement.

vj_style

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...Have you add your card in the Transitlink website first and receive the email to start activating your card at the GTM? Only remove your card from the website after your refund have been credited.

I just manage to switch to bank mode! Yay! This is what I noticed - when I go to transitlink website to add my new bank card, I received an email saying it was ready for activation almost immediately (screenshot attached in my earlier post) That was Thursday. I tried to activate it (switch to bank mode) on at least four to five GTMs on Thursday and Friday but not successful. Today, about two days later, it immediately prompt me to switch to bank mode on the first try on a GTM!

So there is a delay in process by about two days from receipt of email! Really not well managed.

Sian, I kena error when using my Maybank card on the bus this afternoon :(

Tried to use PayPass in Fairprice, also no-go ...

Just called Maybank for a replacement card.

May I ask for those who had experience, do I need to re-register my replacement in the ABT website?

Yes, you need to add the new card on transitlink website.
http://abt.transitlink.com.sg/

Quite a simple procedure actually, just need some basic card details like name, card number, and expiry date.

Then you will receive an email (screenshot on post #904) to inform you that your card is ready for activation.

You can then try to activate (switch to bank mode) at any of the GTM machines at MRT stations. For my case, I need to wait about two days to successfully activate even though I had already received the email two days earlier.

Reaction score
I de-registered my card via the Transitlink ABT portal a few weeks ago, but still get the 'enable bank card mode' screen at the GTM whenever I go to top-up the Ezlink wallet.

I wonder if I am missing a step or 2? Or is this ABT thing like Hotel California?

:s22: :s13:

vegavega25

Reaction score
But how do you explain so many of us experience this issue? Mastercard PayPass just stopped working suddenly one day. And the card do not have any moving parts, just a piece of plastic with wires embedded in between.

I hear you, and am dreading the day that my card stops working in TransitLink without a warning. It would be inconvenient and very frustrating. I do wonder though what the failure rate is on these things. Might it be cards from a certain batch, bank, time of day, etc.?

Until then, it is good to be forewarned and I will carry my NETS FP as a backup.

ahber79

Reaction score
I hear you, and am dreading the day that my card stops working in TransitLink without a warning. It would be inconvenient and very frustrating. I do wonder though what the failure rate is on these things. Might it be cards from a certain batch, bank, time of day, etc.?

Until then, it is good to be forewarned and I will carry my NETS FP as a backup.

Mine is DBS SAFRA card. Failed on board a SBS bus on a Sunday at around 5.30pm. Can tap the card upon entry. But card failed to work when alighting.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can give an estimated usage duration b4 your card spoilt?
My Citi MC -- almost 9mths worked without issue then one day stopped working just like that.

Got a replacement MC, the new card worked for 2 days and then stopped working.

Gave up after that and went back to ezlink.

leoch037

Reaction score
the results vary so much
got 2 days, 4 mths, 6 mths, 9 mths, 1 yr
looked like it's difficult to estimate whether your card is going to spoil soon

anfielder

Master Member
Reaction score
Mine worked for nearly a year. It just failed, and can't be used for contactless payments too.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You could be right. My POSB Eeveryday card ABT also stopped working last Monday, for no apparent reason. The Station Control said it's spoilt. No only that, my PayPass also stopped working on the same day.

I have since gotten a new card from the bank. Now trying to switch to bank mode at GTM. Tried a few but still cannot! Any suggestions? Can I do it at Transitlink office?

You need to registered it with ABT portal, there is a SMS or email to you, stating you have to wait for 5 working days, something like that.

vj_style

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to registered it with ABT portal, there is a SMS or email to you, stating you have to wait for 5 working days, something like that.

No leh, I did registered on the ABT Transitlink portal, then I received email but never say have to wait 5 working days leh, see below. Anyway, after about close to 2 days then I could activate it.
56b903t.jpg

haydentan

Reaction score
My scb unlimited card failed on me yesterday. Lousy ATB program. Now has to call bank to reissue a new card

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.