Honda Confirms 23rd death linked to takata airbag (plz check your recall!)

Z_Dash

Master Member
Reaction score
https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/maintain_vehicle/electronic_vehicle.html

Pls check if your car has a recall by LTA using the above website

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...ag-rupture-in-fatal-crash/9827808?pfmredir=sm

Please check your car if any recall. Most honda cars before 2015 are affected

9827864-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO Roughly 7 million recalled Takata airbag inflators are yet to be repaired in the United States alone.

Honda Motor Co has admitted that a Takata airbag inflator ruptured in a fatal car crash earlier this week in Malaysia, as millions of vehicles' units remain unrepaired.

Key points:
1) Fatal crash occurred in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday involving a 2004 Honda City
2) Death appears to mark the 23rd fatality linked to defective airbag
3) Five Honda-related deaths have been confirmed in Malaysia and 13 in the US
The fatality appears to be the 23rd death worldwide linked to the faulty part that can emit deadly metal fragments.

The Japanese automaker has previously confirmed 18 deaths since 2009 linked to the issue that sparked the largest auto industry safety recall in history, involving about 100 million inflators among 19 major automakers.

In addition to the Honda deaths, Ford Motor Co has reported two Takata-linked deaths in the United States since 2015.

Honda also has reported three other fatal crashes in vehicles equipped with Takata airbag inflators that ruptured, including the new one in Malaysia.

No official cause of death has been given by local authorities in the three crashes.

The latest incident took place on Wednesday in a 2004 Honda City vehicle in Malaysia's capital Kuala Lumpur, Honda said.

Of the confirmed Honda deaths, 13 have been in the United States and five in Malaysia.

Honda previously offered its condolences to the family of a Honda driver killed in a car crash in New South Wales last year — police linked the death to a faulty Takata airbag.

Honda said the ill-fated 2004 City vehicle in Malaysia had been recalled in 2015, but repairs were never made.

In total, 4 million cars have been recalled in Australia.

According to the ACCC, about 25,000 of the most dangerous older Takata airbags known as "alpha bags" are still on the road.

Nearly 30 million US vehicles remain unrepaired in the recall.

More than 290 injuries worldwide are also linked to Takata inflators that can explode, unleashing metal shrapnel inside cars and trucks.

The defect led Takata to file for bankruptcy protection in June, 2017.

Honda, Ford and Mazda Motor Corp have urgently warned owners of some older US vehicles to stop driving them until they get repairs made.

Ford and Mazda's warning covers some 2006 Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series utilities, while Honda's warning covers some 2001-2003 model cars.

In April, auto components maker Key Safety Systems completed a $2.1 billion ($US1.6 billion) deal to acquire Takata.

The merged company is now known as Joyson Safety Systems and is a subsidiary of Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corp.

Millions of airbags still unrepaired, US legal action
Last month in the US, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said it would hold meetings with 12 major automakers that failed to fulfil a December 2017 target deadline for completing repairs on the highest-priority vehicles with dangerous Takata air bag inflators.

NHTSA said the 12 automakers have collectively repaired 65 per cent of 20 million vehicles in the highest priority groups, leaving about 7 million unrepaired.

NHTSA has been criticised for not doing more to prod automakers to fix vehicles faster. A US Senate hearing in March also looked at the issue.

Takata pleaded guilty in 2017 single felony count of wire fraud to resolve a US Justice Department investigation and agreed to a $1.3 billion ($US1 billion) settlement.

Last edited:

Ghost777

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine Honda already recall back to kah motor to check the airbag since last year.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good luck to those own a Honda from PI.
Some PI promised heaven and earth that they will follow rules and or LTA guidelines regarding recall. After that cook up many fairy tales.... lolz

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So long your car is honda Parallel imported you are on your own. 😙

Good luck to those own a Honda from PI.
Some PI promised heaven and earth that they will follow rules and or LTA guidelines regarding recall. After that cook up many fairy tales.... lolz

Not true.

If your PI still exists and is operating, just highlight to LTA that you are still awaiting the replacement air-bag and your PI hasn't called to inform you.

LTA will ask you which PI it is, just provide as much information as possible.

For mine it was Hua Yang, and I contacted them about the Honda air-bag replacement.

Yes, they did drag for quite a while, till I checked again with LTA. LTA asked for details, and Hua Yang replaced it within 1 month of me calling LTA.

Short story: Get LTA to force your PI to change the air-bag. Even if your car has a few years of COE left, better to be safe than sorry.

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Knn sg gov make so much money from car owners and when it comes to such recall issues ie hondas bought from pi, they will taichi or act blur live longer? Lol... knn... somebody gotta nudge fuku li and tell him that his 1 or 2 downs are sleeping on the job again. :(

HeadQuarters

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 years ago I received a letter to go back to Kah Motor to replace airbag inflator.

Then last year when I sent my car to KM for servicing, they told me need to replace airbag inflator. So I told them I replaced liao, but only to realise they only replaced the driver's side becoz Japan Honda only recalled driver's side earlier on. Japan Honda later on issued a recall on the passenger's side airbag inflator :o

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 years ago I received a letter to go back to Kah Motor to replace airbag inflator.

Then last year when I sent my car to KM for servicing, they told me need to replace airbag inflator. So I told them I replaced liao, but only to realise they only replaced the driver's side becoz Japan Honda only recalled driver's side earlier on. Japan Honda later on issued a recall on the passenger's side airbag inflator :o

If you read overseas news, your replacement air-bag is the same type and model as the exploding ones...

They don't have enough of newer and safer types to change to, so they are replacing with ones they (car manufacturers) are hoping have not reached the 'exploding' stage yet.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So long your car is honda Parallel imported you are on your own. 😙

My friend car from KM. Also not recalled till he sent in for accident repair. Think they missed it completely.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not true.

If your PI still exists and is operating, just highlight to LTA that you are still awaiting the replacement air-bag and your PI hasn't called to inform you.

LTA will ask you which PI it is, just provide as much information as possible.

For mine it was Hua Yang, and I contacted them about the Honda air-bag replacement.

Yes, they did drag for quite a while, till I checked again with LTA. LTA asked for details, and Hua Yang replaced it within 1 month of me calling LTA.

Short story: Get LTA to force your PI to change the air-bag. Even if your car has a few years of COE left, better to be safe than sorry.

Good that the PI settled for you. After pressured from LTA. Else they will drag again. Most typical excuse was: Still waiting for parts to arrive lah, ran out of stocks lah.....etc

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have mentioned multiple times over the years, Hua Yang is a direct importer, along with some others like Mova, Richburg, Ricardo, CarTimes, etc ... basically the big established players. Direct importers are legally obligated to fulfill recalls.

Those small potato PIs that get stock from some hidden direct importer in the background ... they are not legally obligated to fulfill recall because they are not the direct importer. You go back to them, bang table, call LTA, whatever ... you also LLST, because they are not bound by law to handle recall for you.

So good luck to those who went with small potatoes thinking you can save a few thousand ... some maybe only saved $1k - $2k compared to getting from a big player direct importer but in doing so now have headache over who exactly is legally obligated to handle recall for you ;)

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the car buyers here mostly pays abit more to buy from AD one for a piece of mind.

so no worries about PI running road.:o

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will the new owner knows
Just call LTA, they can trace. That's what I did when I read announcement that my previous car was affected chassis number tio recall. Everything I'd been preaching over the years about buy PI better get from a direct importer, are based on personal experience.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.