The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Reaction score
Hi cflow8,

If you're talking about progressive lenses, I'ld recommend Zeiss lenses. Its abit more pricey but definitely worth it as the design is more comfortable.

However, most pair of progressive lens are only good for Distance & near, with a so-so intermediate(computer) as you would have noticed.

Your work seems to deal with alot of near and intermediate work. For that reason, I believe a pair of office lenses would work better for you, and if you need to walk around in your office, go for a 2m office lens.

I'ld recommend:
  1. Zeiss Office Lens Plus
  2. Asahi-Lite UV3G Maxisov
  3. IOT Vina 2 Office lens

Hi, can anyone assist to recommend which progressive lens model to go for
1. Zeiss Precision Superb or Pure
2. Hoya dynamic premium ( on going free upgrade from summit )
I had a pair of Hoya lenses from 3 yrs ago, but I could not get used to it. Can’t remember the model.

After reading through this thread, I suspect optician did not do a good job of taking measurements as it was my first pair of progressive lens.

I mainly do desk work, reading from paper and input on pc. So now really need a good pair of progressive lens.

For frames I’m used to Silhouette or byWP- very light frames.

Appreciate if anyone can recommend an experienced optometrist and shop.

Thank you

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
does Tokai Lutina has transition add on? and is it applicable for the free branded frame promo? thanks

I dont really know much about tokai lutina, but if it's using the same technology as shamir blue zero which is basically also blocking off blue light BUT not appearing yellowish at the same time.(Because they embed the technology of blue light filter rather than coating on the layer) then i think its not possible. As transition also its am embedded layer thus i think it's not possible.

Probably Eyezoneopticalsg can provide more info, sorry!

Reaction score
Hi rainbo99,

Tokai Lutina does not have transition add on but another Japanese lens by Asahi-Lite does.

You can ask for 1.74 Asahi UV3G (UV420) Photochromic.
Pros:
  • Blocks 94% HEV light
  • Turns dark & reduce glare under Sunlight

Cons:
Its very expensive as its available only in 1.74 index. If possible, good to wait a couple more months. Hopefully these japanese decides to start making 1.60 & 1.67 index.

FREE branded frame promo
How it works: Spend $200 or above on a pair of frame + lenses to get a FREE branded frame.

:)

does Tokai Lutina has transition add on? and is it applicable for the free branded frame promo? thanks

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone bought from oakley usa before? can share how you ship back? they seem to block forwarder address

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
I am back with an update.

I have collected my specs, Zeiss Digital Lens.

First time wearing digital lens. Is the top half (for long sightedness) supposed to be warmer colour tone than the lower half (for near sightedness)? I thought the blue light filter supposed to be both halves having same colour tone?

In addition, am I supposed to receive any official certificate/card of authenticity with a serial number of the lens or something like that? I only received the items pictured below. The lenses do have a small Zeiss logo embossed at the right-hand corner. Just want to make sure I am not missing stuff from what I am supposed to receive. If things are missing, I will go back to the shop and request for it.

Thanks in advance.

JfLAoVg.jpg

CJ3prV4.jpg

498NC2W.jpg

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I am back with an update.

I have collected my specs, Zeiss Digital Lens.

First time wearing digital lens. Is the top half (for long sightedness) supposed to be warmer colour tone than the lower half (for near sightedness)? I thought the blue light filter supposed to be both halves having same colour tone?

In addition, am I supposed to receive any official certificate/card of authenticity with a serial number of the lens or something like that? I only received the items pictured below. The lenses do have a small Zeiss logo embossed at the right-hand corner. Just want to make sure I am not missing stuff from what I am supposed to receive. If things are missing, I will go back to the shop and request for it.

Thanks in advance.

JfLAoVg.jpg

CJ3prV4.jpg

498NC2W.jpg

Hi! Nice to see that you got yourself the digital lenses already!
Firstly, the blueprotect coating should be on your whole lens e.g. top to bottom. Not just half of the lenses.
Next, Yes the top portion is for you to see far, whereas the lower segment depending on how much addition power you are prescribed by the optometrist/optician.
Regarding the Lens Degree card, i believe there are some practices that will keep the prescription card for the customer and upon request, they will/should be able to pass you your card.

Hope this helps!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone bought from oakley usa before? can share how you ship back? they seem to block forwarder address

Sorry bro! cant help you with that. I dont really know.. Maybe you can look for Oakleyjoe and contact him. He might be able to bring models for you.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi! Nice to see that you got yourself the digital lenses already!
Firstly, the blueprotect coating should be on your whole lens e.g. top to bottom. Not just half of the lenses.
Next, Yes the top portion is for you to see far, whereas the lower segment depending on how much addition power you are prescribed by the optometrist/optician.
Regarding the Lens Degree card, i believe there are some practices that will keep the prescription card for the customer and upon request, they will/should be able to pass you your card.

Hope this helps!

Thanks GANGSTERKIA for the reply

I have gone back to the shop and asked if there are any other cards that I am supposed to have and the reply was they did not receive any other card that came with my specs. The ways to show my lenses are Zeiss lens are the embossed Zeiss logo on the top right corner of the lenses and the shop is a Zeiss partner, according to Zeiss Singapore (map link). Shall not mention which shop I patronised.

https://www.zeiss.com.sg/vision-care/en_sg/better-vision/search/zeiss-dealer-search.html?address=440055

As this is my first pair of Zeiss lenses, I am not certain what am I supposed to receive. My previous Crizal UV lenses came with an authenticity card with a serial number and my prescribed power details printed on the card, as well as my name and the frame the lenses are fitted on are printed too. Not sure if Zeiss lenses also come with such card or not.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks GANGSTERKIA for the reply

I have gone back to the shop and asked if there are any other cards that I am supposed to have and the reply was they did not receive any other card that came with my specs. The ways to show my lenses are Zeiss lens are the embossed Zeiss logo on the top right corner of the lenses and the shop is a Zeiss partner, according to Zeiss Singapore (map link). Shall not mention which shop I patronised.

https://www.zeiss.com.sg/vision-care/en_sg/better-vision/search/zeiss-dealer-search.html?address=440055

As this is my first pair of Zeiss lenses, I am not certain what am I supposed to receive. My previous Crizal UV lenses came with an authenticity card with a serial number and my prescribed power details printed on the card, as well as my name and the frame the lenses are fitted on are printed too. Not sure if Zeiss lenses also come with such card or not.

Compared to other brands, Zeiss is one that usually gives the prescription/lens detail card to their retailers for their customer keeping. You can try asking your shop to request for it, afaik, especially its a digital lens, you should have it. You can also check yourself at the moment to see if its the real thing by looking at the lens engraving at the side of your lens, the extreme left/right of both lenses. There will be 2 zeiss logos, coupled with the degree of your Addition power(for relaxation/reading) and also the lens marking.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Compared to other brands, Zeiss is one that usually gives the prescription/lens detail card to their retailers for their customer keeping. You can try asking your shop to request for it, afaik, especially its a digital lens, you should have it. You can also check yourself at the moment to see if its the real thing by looking at the lens engraving at the side of your lens, the extreme left/right of both lenses. There will be 2 zeiss logos, coupled with the degree of your Addition power(for relaxation/reading) and also the lens marking.

Hi GANGSTERKIA

I see 3 Zeiss logos in total. 1 at the upper left/right corner (depending on whether is left eye or right eye) and 2 along the middle of the lens, at the edges. I see 075 and D74 beneath the Zeiss logo. So I can conclude the lenses are the real deal, right?

One more thing i noticed. The lenses attract dust easily. Have to wipe clean frequently. Is this due to the coatings?

Thanks for your advises.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
You degree must be high right? 1.74 digital lens with 75degree addition power I presume. The lenses should be quite anti static though.. either wiping or could be the environment..

Hi GANGSTERKIA

I see 3 Zeiss logos in total. 1 at the upper left/right corner (depending on whether is left eye or right eye) and 2 along the middle of the lens, at the edges. I see 075 and D74 beneath the Zeiss logo. So I can conclude the lenses are the real deal, right?

One more thing i noticed. The lenses attract dust easily. Have to wipe clean frequently. Is this due to the coatings?

Thanks for your advises.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
You degree must be high right? 1.74 digital lens with 75degree addition power I presume. The lenses should be quite anti static though.. either wiping or could be the environment..

Yes. plastic 1.74 with add 75. My degree is about 800.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Yay....... I have received the degree card with serial number. Received a call asking me to collect it. Finally. Thanks all who have helped and advised me.

X4zY0hm.jpg

Some details have been censored
5CJd6fs.jpg

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Where can I get free or cheap eye examination? Thanks!

Agree with GANGSTERKIA.

Singapore Polytechnic and Ngee Ann Polytechnic both have an Optometry Centre where the final year Diploma of Optometry students get to practice what they have learnt. I believe the prices over there are super affordable and the students are all supervised by the lecturers/managers of the centre. Perhaps you can have a go and try out.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.