Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvados

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this sounds like a noob question...
So while I was looking at what stations are available/ which lines I can use should I purchase the "Kansai WIDE Area" pass, in the website from JR West, I presume those names that I saw in the image, are the stations that is valid for the pass?

1. Are those really all the stations? If you see the station between Kusatsu and Maibara, there are a few stations in between but are not listed with names... And so, anyone has any sites etc that will shows all the stations that this or other Passes comes with?
2. In the legend, there is this "conventional lines", what are those?
3. If I am on a 8 days trip, and I used this pass which is only valid for 5 days, for the rest of the 2-3 days, should I buy those 1 day pass as the days goes on, or would buying a IOCCA be better?

snap99

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this sounds like a noob question...
So while I was looking at what stations are available/ which lines I can use should I purchase the "Kansai WIDE Area" pass, in the website from JR West, I presume those names that I saw in the image, are the stations that is valid for the pass?

1. Are those really all the stations? If you see the station between Kusatsu and Maibara, there are a few stations in between but are not listed with names... And so, anyone has any sites etc that will shows all the stations that this or other Passes comes with?
2. In the legend, there is this "conventional lines", what are those?
3. If I am on a 8 days trip, and I used this pass which is only valid for 5 days, for the rest of the 2-3 days, should I buy those 1 day pass as the days goes on, or would buying a IOCCA be better?

1.. assume you used the west japan railway company website ? there is a PDF link in the website that shows the details and names of all the stations the pass services

2. conventional means non-shinkansen JR lines

3. depends on how much you intend to travel. the IOCCA is like a easilink card ... just saves you the hassle of buying a separate ticket everytime.

melvados

Reaction score
1.. assume you used the west japan railway company website ? there is a PDF link in the website that shows the details and names of all the stations the pass services

2. conventional means non-shinkansen JR lines

3. depends on how much you intend to travel. the IOCCA is like a easilink card ... just saves you the hassle of buying a separate ticket everytime.

Thanks for the information and I am indeed using the information for the west jr website. The pdf in the site, contains quite some small wording for some of the stations? (I guess) and hence I am pretty much using the picture as my reference, just so to get my directions right.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to Edo Wonderland in Nikko or the Ninja Museum in Iga?
If have to choose between this 2 places, which one is better? I only know that Edo Wonderland is bigger and there are more things to do there?

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am thinking of going Hokkaido alone of 30th June.
What will be the flight ticket price around that day?
What are the travel insurance that you all have purchase?
I am just going there for about 4 days to look around.

butterpoachedlobster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm going to sendai and nikko.is it worth it to get the JR East tohoku pass?
The route is Tokyo-sendai-nikko then back to Tokyo for new year eve

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi guys anyone have experience booking bus to shirakawa-go? I saw at japan guide (https://www.japan-guide.com/bus/shirakawago.html) that there is a return ticket for Kanazawa-Shirakawago which is cheaper than two one way but i cant find it on the booking site here:
https://japanbusonline.com/en/Detail/11900040002/1/4162019/4212032/
It only allows me to book one way at a time
Any ideas?

You cannot book the discounted return ticket online. If you wish to book online, you have to pay for the full fares coz you can only book one way at a time. If you wish to get the discount, you have to go to the counter personally to buy.

I've sent the same query to JapanBusOnline 2 years ago. Here's their reply:
fF3RVZM.png

SolarSun

Reaction score
15 Days to Japan

Hi, we are 7 adults going to Japan from end Oct to early Nov 18. Wish to seek your advise on the half finished itinerary. Will be self drive + try their bullet train or other transport. Depends on friends that have been there before for this draft itinerary. From day 8, itinerary not out yet. Best can include places to eat and hotel-as long is clean and safe. Please if can, add in places where we should not miss....Thanks lots.
Btw, how much is the rental for their kimono suit?

Day 1 Landed Narita Airport, as we landed late in evening, intend to stay around airport hotel.
Day 2 collect our cars and go Hakone Shrine (shopping)
Day 3 Nagai Keshinsui Koen, Lake Yamanaka, A Sengen park, Fuefukigama Fruit park
Day 4 Ogisawasogeannai centre, togakushi shrine + cedare tree
Day 5 Naena falls Kasugayama castle, Kansui park
Day 6 shirakawa
Day 7 Tojinbo, Eiheiji temple
Day 8 Kyoto
Day 9 Osaka
Day 10 Hiroshima
Day 11 Nagoya
Day 12 Yokohama
Day 13 Ibaraki
Day 14&15 Tokyo

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, we are 7 adults going to Japan from end Oct to early Nov 18. Wish to seek your advise on the half finished itinerary. Will be self drive + try their bullet train or other transport. Depends on friends that have been there before for this draft itinerary. From day 8, itinerary not out yet. Best can include places to eat and hotel-as long is clean and safe. Please if can, add in places where we should not miss....Thanks lots.

Day 1 Landed Narita Airport, as we landed late in evening, intend to stay around airport hotel.
Day 3 Nagai Keshinsui Koen, Lake Yamanaka, A Sengen park, Fuefukigama Fruit park
Day 6 shirakawa
Day 8 Kyoto
Day 9 Osaka
Day 10 Hiroshima
Day 11 Nagoya
Day 12 Yokohama
Day 13 Ibaraki
Day 14&15 Tokyo

ur day 8 onwards is super packed. those places cannot be covered within a day each.

here is a rough guide on how many days u need for each place
kyoto - at least 2 to 3 days to cover the main attractions
osaka - 2 days. 1 day for USJ, 1 day for other attractions
Hiroshima - 2 days. 1 day city, 1 day miyajima
Nagoya - depends on were u are going
Yokohama - can be a day trip from Tokyo
Ibaraki - i spend more than 1 week there. it depends on what u are covering

SolarSun

Reaction score
ur day 8 onwards is super packed. those places cannot be covered within a day each.

here is a rough guide on how many days u need for each place
kyoto - at least 2 to 3 days to cover the main attractions
osaka - 2 days. 1 day for USJ, 1 day for other attractions
Hiroshima - 2 days. 1 day city, 1 day miyajima
Nagoya - depends on were u are going
Yokohama - can be a day trip from Tokyo
Ibaraki - i spend more than 1 week there. it depends on what u are covering

Thanks. My first trip... so exciting that all gave lots of idea where to go.. So this itinerary is touch and go? Can you give advise on how we should improve? So can I assume from day 1 to day 7 is ok? Thx

tjkb230

Master Member
Reaction score

Day 6 shirakawa
Day 8 Kyoto
Day 9 Osaka
Day 10 Hiroshima
Day 11 Nagoya
Day 12 Yokohama
Day 13 Ibaraki
Day 14&15 Tokyo

Actually I find your itinerary too packed as a whole. It’s like scattering all over the place. You also going Niigata?! That is a bit out of way considering you going along Tokyo-Nagoya-Osaka-Hiroshima route.

Would suggest you to review carefully and pick the places you really want to go. Because definitely there will be last minute changes due to your group too big so you want to buffer this. Otherwise you’ll be just touch-and-go without really enjoying the place.

Things to consider: how long is the daytime (from what time to what time) as this will influence what places to go and how many places to go, travelling time, train timetables, queuing time for meals as your group is big, shopping time, etc.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
when you buy things from convenient store (can't remember it's lawson or 7-11), the cashier will ask if you have point card. what is the name of the point card?

7-11 Nanaco
Lawson Ponta
Famima T-card/Waon
Ministop Waon
Circle-K Rakuten

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. My first trip... so exciting that all gave lots of idea where to go.. So this itinerary is touch and go? Can you give advise on how we should improve? So can I assume from day 1 to day 7 is ok? Thx

not too familiar with the places u are visiting in the first 7 days.
but it seems to be all over the place.

the places in day 3 are ard fuji 5 lakes area. but as they are spaced out, do ensure u have enuf time for driving around.
day 4 places are in nagano/niigata? that will be quite a long way from fuji 5 lake area. but the time u get there, probably half a day gone, so i dunno if u have enuf time.
day 5 and 6 is in chubu area, tt is another long way from nagano/niigata area.

overall, i think u are spending too much time travelling between places. since it is ur first trip and u only have 15 days, i would suggest u stick to just 2 regions in japan. e.g. kanto (tokyo, yokohama) + chubu (fuji 5 lakes, nagano, niigata, shirakawago)

SolarSun

Reaction score
not too familiar with the places u are visiting in the first 7 days.
but it seems to be all over the place.

the places in day 3 are ard fuji 5 lakes area. but as they are spaced out, do ensure u have enuf time for driving around.
day 4 places are in nagano/niigata? that will be quite a long way from fuji 5 lake area. but the time u get there, probably half a day gone, so i dunno if u have enuf time.
day 5 and 6 is in chubu area, tt is another long way from nagano/niigata area.

overall, i think u are spending too much time travelling between places. since it is ur first trip and u only have 15 days, i would suggest u stick to just 2 regions in japan. e.g. kanto (tokyo, yokohama) + chubu (fuji 5 lakes, nagano, niigata, shirakawago)

Thanks and will discuss with the group.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Can tourists sign up for these point cards?

you can try signing up for the cards online thru their websites...
all in japanese and all require you to provide an address...
plus you have to pay a small registration fee usually....

it is 1 yen per 100 yen spent using the card. So you have to charge the card first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.