Anyone heard of Google Chromecast? Is it good?

NameNotIncluded

Reaction score
Saw this online and wondering is it good?:s11: Don't really like using HDMI cable, too troublesome liao. Is chromecast a better option?

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After using anycast, i don't believe these things.... but on offer, so tried chromecast.

For the price $30plus, chromecast is good enough for daily needs and transform tv into smart tv. Smooth less bugged.
This is why it is so demanding and popular in the market.... but the cons i see is need strong wireless networking.

1 of the feature i like is i can cast from bedroom(desktop) to living room.... while using the computer. In another way, i can cast while doing shopping/gaming on mobile....no lag at all.

Another thing is 99.9% compatible to youtube.
Another another thing is frequent updates.

just buy and try....if not happy, can always sell away.

moron+genius

Reaction score
Personally I like it. Got 1 CC ultra, 1 CC n 2 CC audio. Using it wif slingbox m2 tats in storeroom n cast 2 4K tv or projector. If WiFi speed not good can get ugreen OTG Ethernet adapter 2 haf wired connection... $10 from Lazada. All my 4 CC using wif it.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
I have Chromecast 2 and tried using with my el cheapo $80 mini projector. Why image only appear a few seconds then go blank again? When i connect to my TV there is no problem.

NameNotIncluded

Reaction score
After using anycast, i don't believe these things.... but on offer, so tried chromecast.

For the price $30plus, chromecast is good enough for daily needs and transform tv into smart tv. Smooth less bugged.
This is why it is so demanding and popular in the market.... but the cons i see is need strong wireless networking.

1 of the feature i like is i can cast from bedroom(desktop) to living room.... while using the computer. In another way, i can cast while doing shopping/gaming on mobile....no lag at all.

Another thing is 99.9% compatible to youtube.
Another another thing is frequent updates.

just buy and try....if not happy, can always sell away.

so i juz need good connection and im good to go? Sweet!

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so i juz need good connection and im good to go? Sweet!
i suggest u get chromecast first, if lag...then re-do/improve your networking. Hardly got any lag while using youtube. Just some buffering during netflix when other devices cluster near my chromecast.

i not sure how chromecast works... but i think the logical is
mobile/computer act as remote control/interface while chromecast will stream data directly from the router.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not really...

Roku is much better...

Roku is useless. I did all kinds of somersaults to register is US roku account. Finally, managed to get US apps on Roku, but then none of them work. Amazon Prime video Singapore subscription doesnt work. With or without VPN.

blueye

Reaction score
I bought a new Sony smart tv and realised that streaming online videos is a horrendous experience. Better to connect laptop to TV.

Using chromecast app from iPad to Tv also doesn’t work for some reason.

Will this solve the problem ?

numan108

Reaction score
Anyone tried using Chromecast on old non smart TV?
My mobile is able to detect my c2 on TV but when cast audio or video, the TV remain black blank.
I am puzzled as if WiFi is needed for casting?
Any help is appreciated. TIA.

mt

Reaction score
I bought a new Sony smart tv and realised that streaming online videos is a horrendous experience. Better to connect laptop to TV.

Using chromecast app from iPad to Tv also doesn’t work for some reason.

Will this solve the problem ?
Which Sony smart tv you brought?

Supersen

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can use google chromecast plugin, then drag drop your video to the google chrome browser and activate the chromecast plugin, viola!

your screen is mirrored to the TV

of course prior to that your chromecast is already connected to your home network

deepfriedbrain

Reaction score
I have been using Chromecast (2nd gen) for past 2 years with my old non-smart LCD TV and quite happy with it. My TV is sitting next to the gigabit router and the Wifi is pretty strong. I have no issue at all.

The best part is that once you cast from your mobile app, the streaming works directly from the router. You can even shut down your phone if you want, and your streaming will continue.

Another bonus is that you can control the stream with Google Home devices using your voice. I can say "Okay Google" followed by:

- Pause
- Resume
- Rewind by x mins
- Forward by x mins
- Stop casting
- Increase/decrease volume
- Mute
etc.

I can also control the stream using the Google Home app on the phone (I've only used the iOS version).

YouTube, Netflix (SG), Toggle and many other popular video streaming apps work like a charm.

The main downside is that Amazon Prime Video app doesn't support Chromecast. I can still cast Prime Video content using Chrome browser on my computer to the TV, but not directly from the phone.

It also doesn't support screen mirroring for iOS devices. So you are limited to casting content from the apps that support Chromecast natively.

Hope that helps someone looking to buy Chromecast.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.