Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buses in kyoto are operated by a single driver, so you board from the rear, and alight from the front exit next to the driver, which is when you pay for your ride.

when you board the bus, you either 1) collect a paper chit from a ticket dispenser machine as you climb up the steps. It is usually on the right hand side as you get on. The paper ticket has a red number printed on it that says which bus stop you got on or 2) tap your IC card (pasmo, icoca, suica, etc) on the card reader which is usually next to the ticket dispenser. In this case, you do not need to collect a ticket from the dispenser.

when you want to get down, you have to press the bell to alert the driver. But do not get up from your seat if you are seated, and do not move to the front either. Passengers are not supposed to walk about the bus when it is moving. The bus driver will wait for you to alight so do not rush.

If you are paying cash, there is a machine next to the driver near the door for this. You are supposed to drop your coins and the paper ticket into the machine which has a clear plastic hood on top. Check how much you have to pay by looking at the large LED screen in front of the bus, looking for the fare that correspond to the number on your ticket. However, most buses travelling in the city centre area in Kyoto has a fixed fare (230 yen) so it doesn't matter so much. And these buses usually do not issue tickets when you board the bus either. If you have tapped your IC card when you got on the bus, now is the time to tap the card again on a reader next to the plastic hood where you drop your coins.

If you have insufficient coins, there is a coin changer by the side of the machine which accepts 1000 yen notes only. If you have even bigger notes, you have to change it with the bus driver.

Thanks for your reply!
So it is the same as taking the bus in Nikko :)

But I read that recently some buses in Kyoto now require passengers to board from the front so i am confused.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201802080006.html

sbl2560

Reaction score
yes, doable.. it all depends on wat u want to cover. but hokkaido is a huge place, so u wun be able to cover much in 5 days. probably just sapporo, otaru, and maybe a night or 2 in a ski resort?

personally, i would plan for at least 2 weeks just for hokkaido. coz need to spend on domestic flight, might as well make full use of the trip.

Agreed, Hokkaido is certainly a huge place. A recent trip of 11 days in May, only managed the South, Otaru, Cape Kamui, Hokodate, Lake Toya, Noboribetsu and Sapporo via self drive.

0limshs

Reaction score
Agreed, Hokkaido is certainly a huge place. A recent trip of 11 days in May, only managed the South, Otaru, Cape Kamui, Hokodate, Lake Toya, Noboribetsu and Sapporo via self drive.

Probably will just follow evilerniex suggestion on covering two area, Sapporo and Otaru. I guess Hokkaido requires few trips to be able to cover all. Next trip when we manage to apply for more leave then consider back to Hokkaido again.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious to check if you all would go to theme parks alone though? Am gonna travel solo.

And if so, USJ or disneyland? Both are quite similar in prices. But i prefer the thrills of rides, so im guessing USJ?

disneyland has more exciting rides, and there is the disneyland and disneysea.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
So it is the same as taking the bus in Nikko :)

But I read that recently some buses in Kyoto now require passengers to board from the front so i am confused.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201802080006.html

when in doubt, just follow the crowd. same like in taipei, sometimes board in front, sometimes board behind.

just use the suica card. no need to fiddle with the coins required.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
disneyland has more exciting rides, and there is the disneyland and disneysea.
I tot USJ or disneysea will have more exciting rides compared to disneyland. But the last time i went USJ was 10 years back, so much have changed.

For even more exciting rides, go Fuji-Q highland near kawaguchiko. The roller coasters are terrifying.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tot USJ or disneysea will have more exciting rides compared to disneyland. But the last time i went USJ was 10 years back, so much have changed.

For even more exciting rides, go Fuji-Q highland near kawaguchiko. The roller coasters are terrifying.

I've been to all 3. From most exciting rides to least exciting: Sea, Land, USJ.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, would people do Disneysea during winter, as in will it be too cold for the children?

disneysea does not mean one will get wet. i went in late march with very young children, it is still very cold.

Newride

Reaction score
Can somebody help- i will be in osaka planning take a bus to tokyo shinjuku east station.

What bus stop should i choose for osaka and tokyo?

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Realized Sapporo to Aomori Express Hamanasu has been discontinued ... are there any other sleeper train available?

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Realized Sapporo to Aomori Express Hamanasu has been discontinued ... are there any other sleeper train available?

the best sleeper services have upgraded themselves to luxury class
JR East Shikishima
JR Kyushu Nanabotsu
JR West Mizukase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.