[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuatKway

Reaction score
went IT show yesterdaym visited the booth selling NAS and just got to know QNAP has the 'A' series that has USB + NAS type of storage. but its more ex though

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any of u guys is using Vlan at home? i need help with vlan routing ><

Angel Gab

Reaction score
That is why I moved away from 2-bay NAS.

But you can try to configure it as Raid-0 + connect to an external HD as backup.

Bro.. ex HDD as backup, do I need to always leave the HDD plug into the USB all the time? Can I just plug the HDD in whenever I plan to do the backing up only...

harharhar

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 2-bay, but can't decide which model. The intended use case is cloud station (or called Drive now) and backup. Probably 3 or 4 TB with mirroring. So it's not that heavy usage.

Now, I don't know if the value-oriented DS218j is enough (i.e. can serve the files for about 3-4 computer simultaneously). Or will getting the DS218play or DS128 be better? Or just get the 4-bay DS418j?

Sorry for noob question, never had an NAS before. Considering NAS because now all my PCs have their own external HDD for backup, thinking of consolidating these backups.

Thanks in advance!

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a 2-bay NAS, you lose 50% capacity due to mirror. As a 4-bay NAS, you have 3 HDD capacity.

As for model:
J is entry model
None is value model
+ is performance model

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any of u guys is using Vlan at home? i need help with vlan routing ><

Okay nm, found. Solution 3 sets of ip on my 218j lol.

But my xiao mi 360 still cannot detect, yet my xiaomi 1080 can any 1 encountrt this?

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Any idea with an External HDD, how is it possible to transfer data directly to the NAS?

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Any idea with an External HDD, how is it possible to transfer data directly to the NAS?

Check if the NAS comes with a USB 3.0 port. Most NAS should come with one but make sure.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As of today, even the entry level J series comes with USB3.0 ports.

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi.. new to migration to 2 bay to 4 bay
im going to migrate 2 bay to 4 bay (currently with the existing 2 hdd (4TB each using SHR))..
So I know I need to do a backup on the configuration. Do I need to do any backup for my photos and videos physically? - confused on this. > one more hdd for external backup?
I need a 3rd hdd to insert into the 4 bay for updating of the dsm version? this hdd can use any size right eg. 2TB

Or I can just migrate as per this synology website? https://www.synology.com/en-global/...igrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_5_0_and_later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.