Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

hindsight

Master Member
Reaction score
sure, as I said just for information, but as financial centers in asia, good reference & comparison, also general trend & direction of interest rate movement. HK has china as backing, spore has not.

So what if HK has China as backing? You might as well say the USD should be trading at 10:1 SGD because its economy is a zillion times larger than Singapore's. :s22:.

The main things that affect a country's currency is its long term fiscal position, current account, convertibility (openness), interest rate and rate of inflation, everything else does not matter in the long run.

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any bro knows what is uob rate for $50k? Is it still for 10 mths only? Thanks.

fisherman33

Reaction score
So what if HK has China as backing? You might as well say the USD should be trading at 10:1 SGD because its economy is a zillion times larger than Singapore's. :s22:.

The main things that affect a country's currency is its long term fiscal position, current account, convertibility (openness), interest rate and rate of inflation, everything else does not matter in the long run.

of course with china backing, whether to support HK stock market or currency thru' policy or physically backing, in 1997 already supporting, only people like you will shout anything like 10:1 or 10k:1.

you are so naive to say that country currency based on fiscal policy or whatever you write, in 1997, spore stock market & currency also being attacked due to surrounding countries, thailand, indonesia, malaysia & more.

fisherman33

Reaction score
Erm who cares what the formula is? I don't know what major currency you are talking about but SGD is significantly higher vs nearly all major currencies (USD, EUR, GBP, AUD, NZD, CHF, JPY) compared to 5 years ago, more so if we look at multi decade time frame.

I think you misunderstood what you read.

https://www.ft.com/content/2eb6dd20-2d65-11e8-9b4b-bc4b9f08f381
http://www.scmp.com/business/bankin...-monetary-authority-raises-citys-base-lending

The HKMA base rate is 2% now, it was the banks that did not hike deposit rates because they were flush with deposits and foreign inflows, well they have to now because liquidity has been tightening (evidenced by rising HIBOR).

We already went thru 2 major crisis, and the SGD always emerged stronger in the end. The govt has no net debt (people who point to SGS and SSGS as debt don't know what they are talking about), yes the private sector has debt (what country doesn't have private sector debt?) but its not at alarming levels.

CHF and Yen are down from crisis levels in 2008, they have been pretty stable in the long run and are not called safe havens for nothing.

Inflation in SG isn't high and this has nothing to do with what this thread is about, which is interest rates, don't go off on a tangent here.

you are the one trying to mislead, twist & turn. You said SGD is all the time strong, why still go thru 2 crisis? major one some more, because regional & globally is connected irregardless how strong fiscal policy you have.

香港最快六月加息

美國在兩年半之內第六次加息,惟昨日香港各間銀行的港元最優惠利率(Prime Rate)及儲蓄利率均維持不變。市場人士預料,香港最快於今年六月加息,若港息開始向上,勢追貼美國加息步伐,香港下半年有機會加息兩次。

儘管美國於不足兩年半內啟動第六次加息,惟滙豐銀行、渣打銀行(香港)、恒生銀行(00011)及中國銀行(香港)(02388)昨均維持港元最優惠利率及儲蓄利率不變。

above is dated 22/3/2018, till March this yr, according to HKMA, the earliest for them to hike rate is this june, they have not started their rate hike yet.

CHF adjust down 20-30% overnight, only you call it safe haven. Same to Yen, agiainst USD, up/down few 100% in last few yrs, you called it stable.

Inflation definite related to strength of currency & how much a country have printed their currency. Currency & interest rate are linked, since you said nothing to do, then not related.

spore debt is very high, see below, that is why I said only when crisis then we will know who swim naked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

Last edited:

hindsight

Master Member
Reaction score
of course with china backing, whether to support HK stock market or currency thru' policy or physically backing, in 1997 already supporting, only people like you will shout anything like 10:1 or 10k:1.

you are so naive to say that country currency based on fiscal policy or whatever you write, in 1997, spore stock market & currency also being attacked due to surrounding countries, thailand, indonesia, malaysia & more.

And HK's currency and stock market wasn't attacked in 1997? Do you know that the Hang Seng Index and HK property more than halved in the 2 years following the crisis? So much for "backing from China". :s13:

HK would have needed an IMF bailout (which would have meant firesale of assets to foreigners) if they hadn't been fiscally prudent all these while, the HKMA literally destroyed currency speculators by buying up all the HK dollars in the market, this is why countries with extremely high reserves are not vulnerable to currency speculators' attacks.

You know nothing about finance or economics and here you are writing like you are some expert on this subject, you don't even know that HKMA raised the base rate to 2% ffs. :s22:

Troll some more pls, and yea welcome to my block list.

hindsight

Master Member
Reaction score
you are the one trying to mislead, twist & turn. You said SGD is all the time strong, why still go thru 2 crisis? major one some more, because regional & globally is connected irregardless how strong fiscal policy you have.

香港最快六月加息

美國在兩年半之內第六次加息,惟昨日香港各間銀行的港元最優惠利率(Prime Rate)及儲蓄利率均維持不變。市場人士預料,香港最快於今年六月加息,若港息開始向上,勢追貼美國加息步伐,香港下半年有機會加息兩次。

儘管美國於不足兩年半內啟動第六次加息,惟滙豐銀行、渣打銀行(香港)、恒生銀行(00011)及中國銀行(香港)(02388)昨均維持港元最優惠利率及儲蓄利率不變。

above is dated 22/3/2018, till March this yr, according to HKMA, the earliest for them to hike rate is this june, they have not started their rate hike yet.

CHF adjust down 20-30% overnight, only you call it safe haven. Same to Yen, agiainst USD, up/down few 100% in last few yrs, you called it stable.

Inflation definite related to strength of currency & how much a country have printed their currency. Currency & interest rate are linked, since you said nothing to do, then not related.

spore debt is very high, see below, that is why I said only when crisis then we will know who swim naked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

You have reading comprehension issues or your Chinese CMI? The article is about COMMERCIAL BANKS raising the prime rate, not HKMA! I already wrote about that in a post above. You obviously don't know the diff between HKMA and commercial banks, or even how the interest rate mechanism works. :s22:

And LOL with your ignominious comment regarding CHF down 20-30%. It SURGED UPWARDS, not down because the inflows (people were rushing to BUY, and not sell the CHF) overwhelmed the SNB. But don't take my word for it, read the following news article (if you can understand it lol).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rket-with-policy-u-turn-idUSKBN0KO0XK20150115

Inflation isn't high in SG, period.

Again, more reading comprehension issues by quoting that wikipedia link. FFS read properly.

Note that while a country may have a relatively large external debt (either in absolute or per capita terms) it could actually be a "net international creditor" if its external debt is less than the total of the external debt of other countries held by it. For example, although the UK has more external debt than France, it has more external assets giving it a stronger NIIP.

Like I said in a post above, Singapore has zero net debt, we are a net creditor nation, and a massively large creditor at that. You don't know how rich the SG govt is, its estimated that our reserves are more than a trillion USD, thats absolutely ridiculous for a country with such a tiny population. :s13:

Anyway blocked and ignored from here on, you can't read so no point writing more.

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have reading comprehension issues or your Chinese CMI? The article is about COMMERCIAL BANKS raising the prime rate, not HKMA! I already wrote about that in a post above. You obviously don't know the diff between HKMA and commercial banks, or even how the interest rate mechanism works. :s22:

And LOL with your ignominious comment regarding CHF down 20-30%. It SURGED UPWARDS, not down because the inflows (people were rushing to BUY, and not sell the CHF) overwhelmed the SNB. But don't take my word for it, read the following news article (if you can understand it lol).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rket-with-policy-u-turn-idUSKBN0KO0XK20150115

Inflation isn't high in SG, period.

Again, more reading comprehension issues by quoting that wikipedia link. FFS read properly.

Note that while a country may have a relatively large external debt (either in absolute or per capita terms) it could actually be a "net international creditor" if its external debt is less than the total of the external debt of other countries held by it. For example, although the UK has more external debt than France, it has more external assets giving it a stronger NIIP.

Like I said in a post above, Singapore has zero net debt, we are a net creditor nation, and a massively large creditor at that. You don't know how rich the SG govt is, its estimated that our reserves are more than a trillion USD, thats absolutely ridiculous for a country with such a tiny population. :s13:

Anyway blocked and ignored from here on, you can't read so no point writing more.
Why u all so interested in hk fd?

fisherman33

Reaction score
And HK's currency and stock market wasn't attacked in 1997? Do you know that the Hang Seng Index and HK property more than halved in the 2 years following the crisis? So much for "backing from China". :s13:

HK would have needed an IMF bailout (which would have meant firesale of assets to foreigners) if they hadn't been fiscally prudent all these while, the HKMA literally destroyed currency speculators by buying up all the HK dollars in the market, this is why countries with extremely high reserves are not vulnerable to currency speculators' attacks.

You know nothing about finance or economics and here you are writing like you are some expert on this subject, you don't even know that HKMA raised the base rate to 2% ffs. :s22:

Troll some more pls, and yea welcome to my block list.

you know nothing & all the wrong information. STI real weak.

No point to argue, wasting time, since you want to win, let you win. Let reader decide what they want to read & accept.

I am only interested in right & wrong, time will tell, live my happy life better.:s12::s13:

Last edited:

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
哈哈,very interesting debate guys .... but I did recalled that the Swiss franc lost a substantial value in the not too recent past .... anyway let's not get too worked up.

Sometimes mistakes are made .... and opinions could differ ... but your sharing is more important to us here, thank you.

fisherman33

Reaction score
港銀行準備加P息 12年首次

美國下周議息及即將半年結,一個月期港元拆息連續九個交易日上揚,周五高見1.45厘,創近十年高位。有銀行界人士預期,業界普遍已為香港跟隨加息做好準備,預期香港最快會在本月內加息,港元存款爭奪戰將蔓延至一個月期短息。

HK news today, likely 1st time rate hike in 12 years.
If HK hike rate, funds will flow there, whether more funds move from spore to HK, STI is very weak in last 2 weeks, let see. What action spore will take?

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
港銀行準備加P息 12年首次

美國下周議息及即將半年結,一個月期港元拆息連續九個交易日上揚,周五高見1.45厘,創近十年高位。有銀行界人士預期,業界普遍已為香港跟隨加息做好準備,預期香港最快會在本月內加息,港元存款爭奪戰將蔓延至一個月期短息。

HK news today, likely 1st time rate hike in 12 years.
If HK hike rate, funds will flow there, whether more funds move from spore to HK, STI is very weak in last 2 weeks, let see. What action spore will take?

I'm surprised HKMA did not do so earlier. THe HKD has been battered and HK government had to spend billions depending HKD because of the interest rate difference with the USD. HKD is pegged to USD. When fed raises interest rate, HKMA has to do likewise. Otherwise, HKD will be under pressure.

Singapore need not do anything. In fact, cannot do anything with regards to interest rate. Our interest rate is determined by market forces. I believe our short-term interest rates will go up as well.

Reaction score
I'm surprised HKMA did not do so earlier. THe HKD has been battered and HK government had to spend billions depending HKD because of the interest rate difference with the USD. HKD is pegged to USD. When fed raises interest rate, HKMA has to do likewise. Otherwise, HKD will be under pressure.

Perhaps so as not to prick the property bubble. The real rulers of HK are the property magnates.

:s22::D

kitkat2

Reaction score
Singapore need not do anything. In fact, cannot do anything with regards to interest rate. Our interest rate is determined by market forces. I believe our short-term interest rates will go up as well.

i thought singapore is in similar situation as hk but perhaps to a lesser extent. so many people here invested in property and if rates go up too much, many of them will jump from their condos.

the good thing here is that there is no usd peg, and the authority may choose to let sgd weaken a little and keep rates low.

everyday, i see many colleagues who upgraded to private property face black black, very defensive at work and under stress to perform in order to get promoted. not very pleasant to work with them now that rates are edging up.

kitkat2

Reaction score
Must tied up for 6 yrs?

yes, unless you are ready to pay hefty penalty.

but the bank isn't tied up. they can terminate anytime they deem fit.

btw, the latest issue of 5-year sgs bond was going at 2.3% pa. imho, no point getting bank's 6-year sd at 2.2%.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.