[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi.. new to migration to 2 bay to 4 bay
im going to migrate 2 bay to 4 bay (currently with the existing 2 hdd (4TB each using SHR))..
So I know I need to do a backup on the configuration. Do I need to do any backup for my photos and videos physically? - confused on this. > one more hdd for external backup?
I need a 3rd hdd to insert into the 4 bay for updating of the dsm version? this hdd can use any size right eg. 2TB

Or I can just migrate as per this synology website? https://www.synology.com/en-global/...igrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_5_0_and_later

Don't understand what you want

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't understand what you want

Basically I would want to know whether there is a need to backup a copy of my 2 bay Nas data (using shr) eg. Photos, videos externally on another HDD before migrating to the 4 bay nas. I have already backup the configuration only.

If without backing up a copy externally, will I lost any data when I migrate the 2hdd from 2 bay to the new 4 bay; managed to upgrade the same of the 4 bay to the latest version.

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Basically I would want to know whether there is a need to backup a copy of my 2 bay Nas data (using shr) eg. Photos, videos externally on another HDD before migrating to the 4 bay nas. I have already backup the configuration only.

If without backing up a copy externally, will I lost any data when I migrate the 2hdd from 2 bay to the new 4 bay; managed to upgrade the same of the 4 bay to the latest version.

If you are on SHR, unlikely data will lost. However, I will still recommend a backup before swinging it across.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As far as Synology is concerned, always back up is advised before migration from one NAS to another, just in case screw-up and loses all data.

If you are experienced and what you are doing, maybe skip back up.

wizardundo

Reaction score
Hi, can the 4Bay NAS handle different size HDD? Eg. 2x 3TB, 1 x 6TB and 1 x 8tb?

Or I need them all to be same size to mirror?

harharhar

Reaction score
Hi, can the 4Bay NAS handle different size HDD? Eg. 2x 3TB, 1 x 6TB and 1 x 8tb?

Or I need them all to be same size to mirror?

Possible using SHR. You can use the synology RAID calculator to see the resulting usable space. Usually restricted by the smallest disk.

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Configure your pc lan to 192.168.1.100
Configure your nas lan to 192.168.1.101
Plug them directly to each other

That way, you can access your nas via \\192.168.1.101
110-113Mb/s for both read/write with my DS418.
compared to 6mbs with typical NAS

U mean 2 different network? Yes, if u have more than 1 network port on the NAS.

NAS comes with a 3.0 ports

Hi there,

I have tried the following:

Switch to Switch transfer via NAS :400kb
USB 2.0 transfer: 4mbs
Lan cable transfer: average around 10mbs.

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Would like to check if there is a way to set firewall rule to allow blocking of internet access to the NAS?

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Hi there,

Would like to check if there is a way to set firewall rule to allow blocking of internet access to the NAS?
On your router block port 80 and 443 of you nas.

If your router comes with the "parental controls" can use that provided it does not drop your Nas out of your network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.