Honda Civic vs Subaru Impreza

toddyfanfan

Reaction score
How to choose between Honda Civic 1.6L vs Subaru Impreza 2.0L? What is the advantages and disadvantages over one and another? Price difference is around 7k. It seems that Impreza is pretty minority but the reviews are good in US.

ZWH rebmem

Reaction score
How to choose between Honda Civic 1.6L vs Subaru Impreza 2.0L? What is the advantages and disadvantages over one and another? Price difference is around 7k. It seems that Impreza is pretty minority but the reviews are good in US.

They are 2 very different cars with different characteristics. Subaru sells cheaply in SG while Civic is slightly overprice in its class.

U may want to list down your what you are looking for in your vehicle so that more can be advice ?

Ghost777

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Honda civic must take 1.8 cos 1.6 not so powerful. Also if talking about repairing cost. Honda will be cheaper alot than Subaru.

toddyfanfan

Reaction score
I thought they are more or less the same type. I am very new to cars.

They are 2 very different cars with different characteristics. Subaru sells cheaply in SG while Civic is slightly overprice in its class.

U may want to list down your what you are looking for in your vehicle so that more can be advice ?

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1.6 NA boh power.
U step car dun zoom, it ............zoom.
Go for test drive.

Infinite

Reaction score
im curious to know more as well. it seems like for Subaru, you are getting a lot more features (including a bigger engine) for a much lower price.

That said, I'm driving an old Subaru and I believe Honda is better able to withstand the test of time. And thus.. that is why no one renews COE for a Subaru.

toddyfanfan

Reaction score
According to ur experience, Subaru is not as reliable as Honda, right? Well you are right, the features are really attractive for Subaru

im curious to know more as well. it seems like for Subaru, you are getting a lot more features (including a bigger engine) for a much lower price.

That said, I'm driving an old Subaru and I believe Honda is better able to withstand the test of time. And thus.. that is why no one renews COE for a Subaru.

Infinite

Reaction score
According to ur experience, Subaru is not as reliable as Honda, right? Well you are right, the features are really attractive for Subaru

I'm not sure about the reliability of Honda vs Subaru, but just in terms of interior quality, comfort, noise insulation etc. Subaru easily lose hands down.

However, in terms of mechanical aspects such as the engine and gear box, I don't think there is much of a reliability issue. I'm driving a near 10 year Subaru and the engine/manual gearbox is still in pretty good condition. Due to the boxer engine design (caveat- I have no idea if the previous owner changed the engine mounts) I totally do not experience any idling vibrations.

The new Subaru has a much nicer interior, and given the current price tag, it seems very value-for-money. Probably the cheapest 2.0L Jap make around?

sktan10

Reaction score

Subaru 2.0 car Vs Honda 1.6,almost same price.
Just like kia/hyundai 2.0 car Vs jap car 1.6,almost same price and that is 10yrs ago.
I am the one who go into it 10yrs ago.
Take note.
Insurance,road tax and FC all more expensive.
If you can drive for full 10yrs and don't mind the above,then Subaru.
If you are the one who wants to change car every few years,then Honda.
Better second hand car value and much easy to sell.

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So you do not recommend this model am I right? Actually I cannot feel the big difference by test riding.
Try 1.5 Turbo & 1.6 NA.
When u test, road clear step hard to get a feel for both. Then u can compare.
But for people who use to driving bigger CC or turbo cars, just one time test & can feel the diff.

toddyfanfan

Reaction score
Definitely yes. The price is very attractive. But in terms of maintenance cost, the part price listed in sgcarmart is comparable with each other. FC they claim both 15km/L. Road Tax is higher for 2.0L. Insurance I am not sure. I am not sure I am right or not, I cannot tell a big difference wrt maintenance.
Do you have any idea?

I'm not sure about the reliability of Honda vs Subaru, but just in terms of interior quality, comfort, noise insulation etc. Subaru easily lose hands down.

However, in terms of mechanical aspects such as the engine and gear box, I don't think there is much of a reliability issue. I'm driving a near 10 year Subaru and the engine/manual gearbox is still in pretty good condition. Due to the boxer engine design (caveat- I have no idea if the previous owner changed the engine mounts) I totally do not experience any idling vibrations.

The new Subaru has a much nicer interior, and given the current price tag, it seems very value-for-money. Probably the cheapest 2.0L Jap make around?

toddyfanfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Very good and pertinent point.

Subaru 2.0 car Vs Honda 1.6,almost same price.
Just like kia/hyundai 2.0 car Vs jap car 1.6,almost same price and that is 10yrs ago.
I am the one who go into it 10yrs ago.
Take note.
Insurance,road tax and FC all more expensive.
If you can drive for full 10yrs and don't mind the above,then Subaru.
If you are the one who wants to change car every few years,then Honda.
Better second hand car value and much easy to sell.

toddyfanfan

Reaction score
I see, I am jut pretty new to car and I do not feel to many cars. Thanks for pointing this out

Try 1.5 Turbo & 1.6 NA.
When u test, road clear step hard to get a feel for both. Then u can compare.
But for people who use to driving bigger CC or turbo cars, just one time test & can feel the diff.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.